April 18, 2024, 03:55:22 PM

Author Topic: Academy 2v2 version 1  (Read 6308 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Academy 2v2 version 1
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
Two teams of two mages. Two zones with an indestructible wall between them that blocks passage and line of sight. Each team has a single shared life total equal to their members' starting life totals added together minus 20.

Teammates share initiative and priority (this also means they take actions simultaneously).

Everything else is same as regular academy.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Academy 2v2 version 1
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »
Two teams of two mages. Two zones with an indestructible wall between them that blocks passage and line of sight. Each team has a single shared life total equal to their members' starting life totals added together minus 20.

Teammates share initiative and priority (this also means they take actions simultaneously).

Everything else is same as regular academy.

Enjoy!

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Ways of dealing with Druid? Also questions about the OCTGN metagame
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Hi. Are there any strategies that are viable against a good druid player besides tanking or killing her creatures? And do any such strategies exist which only use two creatures?

I have been having a lot of trouble getting more aggressive decks to work against druid.

Perhaps coincidentally I've also noticed that the OCTGN meta usually tends to use longer game strategies, it seems like nearly every competitive deck I encounter on there uses wands, and nearly everything either uses a spawnpoint or has at least 3-4 creatures.

I'm getting really bored of this and I want more variety, but every time I try to make a deck that doesn't use at least 3-4 creatures or doesn't use a spawnpoint, it fails miserably.

Help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Questions about OCTGN metagame
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:22:35 AM »
Hi. Are there any strategies that are viable against a good druid player besides tanking or killing her creatures? And do any such strategies exist which only use two creatures?

I have been having a lot of trouble getting more aggressive decks to work against druid.

Perhaps coincidentally I've also noticed that the OCTGN meta usually tends to use longer game strategies, it seems like nearly every competitive deck I encounter on there uses wands, and nearly everything either uses a spawnpoint or has at least 3-4 creatures.

I'm getting really bored of this and I want more variety, but every time I try to make a deck that doesn't use at least 3-4 creatures or doesn't use a spawnpoint, it fails miserably.

Help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Strategic Variety in the Mage Wars Arena metagame
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »
So I've noticed that Arena's metagame isn't as diverse as it seems like it ought to be given the size of the card pool and the sheer modularity of the game. A lot of competitive books I face on OCTGN feel a bit samey, and that's something I've noticed for a long time. When the wizard was errrated that increased deck building innovation quite a bit, and there seemed to be so many possibilities. As we got more expansions, mages got more options and more ways to play, and yet the total variety of the metagame doesn't feel like it's increased all that much correspondingly. Somehow as more tools became available to our toolboxes, the total number and uniqueness of the different possible toolboxes we could make went down.

When people on the forums talk about tiers they never talk about particular deck archetypes like Falcon swarm, or Forge and Galvitar Rush. Instead they always talk about the Mage classes. This seems to me to be a symptom of the greater problem of insufficient variety in the metagame. Individual spellbooks aren't standing out enough. Rather than seeing a falcon swarm straywood beastmaster and a grizzly buddy straywood beastmaster and a so on and so forth, people just see the straywood beastmaster.

While mages are creatures with their own power levels like any other card, there's a lot more to a deck than which mage is used in it.

So why is there such insufficient variety in the metagame, and how could that problem be resolved? Discuss.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
So I've noticed that Arena's metagame isn't as diverse as it seems like it ought to be given the size of the card pool and the sheer modularity of the game. A lot of competitive books I face on OCTGN feel a bit samey, and that's something I've noticed for a long time. When the wizard was errrated that increased deck building innovation quite a bit, and there seemed to be so many possibilities. As we got more expansions, mages got more options and more ways to play, and yet the total variety of the metagame doesn't feel like it's increased all that much correspondingly. Somehow as more tools became available to our toolboxes, the total number and uniqueness of the different possible toolboxes we could make went down.

When people on the forums talk about tiers they never talk about particular deck archetypes like Falcon swarm, or Forge and Galvitar Rush. Instead they always talk about the Mage classes. This seems to me to be a symptom of the greater problem of insufficient variety in the metagame. Individual spellbooks aren't standing out enough. Rather than seeing a falcon swarm straywood beastmaster and a grizzly buddy straywood beastmaster and a so on and so forth, people just see the straywood beastmaster.

While mages are creatures with their own power levels like any other card, there's a lot more to a deck than which mage is used in it.

So why is there such insufficient variety in the metagame, and how could that problem be resolved? Discuss.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
New Mage Wars wiki! The Library of Sistarra
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »
Hi. I've made a new mage wars wiki. Hopefully it's better than the old wiki which hasn't been updated in a long time.

Also, the Library of Sistarra spellbook threads on these forums haven't been updated in a long time since the user who posted them is no longer active. Hence, I'm moving things to the Hall of Fame section of the new wiki.

Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks!

https://magewarslibrary.wikia.com/wiki/Mage_Wars_-_The_Library_of_Sistarra_Wiki

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
Hi. I've made a new mage wars wiki. Hopefully it's better than the old wiki which hasn't been updated in a long time.

Also, the Library of Sistarra spellbook threads on these forums haven't been updated in a long time since the user who posted them is no longer active. Hence, I'm moving things to the Hall of Fame section of the new wiki.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »