March 28, 2024, 06:40:06 PM

Author Topic: A little love for the Swamp  (Read 11108 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: A little love for the Swamp
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Oh good... glad to hear.

What was the decision? Or do I have to wait for AW to print it?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 01:01:03 AM »
The decision was as I described it. You check at the end of the move action and thus you can leave the swamp unaffected. Kharhaz just didn't get the memo, which I'm sure a lot of people didn't. It was just handled in private chats and hasn't made it into print yet.

I also want to recognize that Kharhaz's logic is sound. That is probably how I would have interpreted the codex definition also. The key thing here is that that definition was written before this was a problem, before movement had steps. Back then, you just moved and it was instantaneous. Which had its own problems (there's reasons we don't do it that way anymore) but did mean that this wasn't a concern. You couldn't lose slow mid move. You either had it or your didn't.

The decision wasn't based on that previous definition so much as what was best for the game. Basically, the arguments I talked about regarding if we checked at the beginning, end, or constantly were all discussed and it was decided that checking at the end worked best.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 03:55:52 AM »
soo, to clear things a little in my head,

swamp is nice for being defensive, they cant attack you if they move it, BUT if they leave  it's stop affecting them and you can do two moves/attack etc. well you leave the swamp ,it kind of annoyed me at the start but it makes sense, you leave the swamp, it doesnt affect you anymore

was it different at any point of the game before?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:16:25 AM by Grimstringer »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
soo, to clear things a little in my head,

swamp is nice for being defensive, they cant attack you if they move it, BUT if they leave  it's stop affecting them and you can do two moves/attack etc. well you leave the swamp ,it kind of annoyed me at the start but it makes sense, you leave the swamp, it doesnt affect you anymore

was it different at any point of the game before?

They actually can attack on entry in some cases. For example, Cervere is Fast. If he moves from an adjacent zone into the Swamp, he then gains Slow. At that point the Fast and Slow nullify each other and Cervere can take any other action that it wants... to move again or to attack in the Swamp. Note that if Cervere moves into the Swamp, and then out, it sounds as if it could attack in that second zone as it no longer has Slow (regains Fast) once in that new zone. Note also that a Fast Creature moving from two zones away (or a "normal speed" Creature from one zone away) can not attack after entering the Swamp as it then gains the Slow condition, and has no action choices to make at that point.

Terrain in general is new-ish. You could have revealed an Enchantment to give a Creature Slow before, but I think that is discussed in other threads. Also, it is very clear at what point that the effect of the Slow from an Enchantment goes into effect (and is removed if the Creature gains Fast afterward during the same Activation). The main question in my mind was whether the Slow gained from the Swamp impacts a Creature after leaving... which it does not. We never had to deal with that before.

Thanks again, everyone, for helping to clarify!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:49:15 AM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 09:06:25 PM »
Just handing some stickers out for the pleasant conversation!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest