April 27, 2024, 02:07:33 AM

Author Topic: Mage wars 2.0  (Read 13501 times)

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage wars 2.0
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:19:54 AM »
I’ve been reading a couple of forms and have seen some people mention a new edition. I think this would be a really cool idea to revitalize the game. So I made this post to see what people would like to see in 2.0 or how they think it could be done. Now I know that AW doesn’t have a ton of money and the possibility of this is probably a dream. I understand that, all I want to hear is ideas on what people would like to see.

I for one would like to see a more streamlined game. I don’t have to much of a issue with the rules, but when the issues do come up they can sour the game. The biggest thing is upkeep. We housed ruled it and what we said is that you the effects are resolved in the order they appeared. Example regrowth belt was placed on a mage then foul rot was revealed. The mage would regenerate first. This is how I play. Reason being it felt right thematically in our house.

Another this is that there is to much cardboard for me now. After all the expansions I think it’s just to much. If there was an easier way to streamline it I would like that very much.

Either update or replace cards that are not competitive.

I don’t think we would need a new core box but just either new rules that get updated or a small conversion kit.

I love this game and I always come back to it. I just noticed some clunky ness after PvS.

Hardcordo

Re: Mage wars 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
I would be really happy with a 2.0 version of this game. The game as it is is so bloated that a well done 2.0 would reinvigorate the player base and open better design opportunities.

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
I as well would agree  2.0 would be nice, lot of games wait 5 to 10 years and do one. Currently I play pathfinder and xwing both have 2.0 coming out in September after gencon
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:10:41 AM »
i would prefer more cards and a few rullings than a 2.0 version.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
i would prefer more cards and a few rullings than a 2.0 version.

Likewise. A version 2 ruleset using all the old cards and mages, maybe (but then we are at least 4 versions in to that already). I don't think it's needed though. A 2.0 version of the game? No, not for me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:16:07 AM by Kelanen »

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Much like above 2 posts I would like to see more cards as well including the con only promos, but if 2.0 were to be done I would be fine with it as well

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
I made a post like this a year or two ago. Not sure where it went.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 01:07:03 AM »
I would be quite sad, if my 100 Bear Strength will become useless!
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »
Would fix very little, unless of course the IP was released and republished in a different house. I do not see the need for it though.

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
If it went to fantasy flight we wouldn’t have complaints about expansions

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
Fantasy flight is actually tame prepared to other games I have played.  Magic the gathering and yugioh have at least 1 expansion every 3 moths and up to 6 a year with a booster box around 100 dollars about.  As far as mage wars I would like to see new content every year would be enough but maybe leak an idea of release dates of images or ideas that are being thought of so I can get excited about what might be coming out.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
If fantasy flight got mage wars I think it could be both a great thing and a terrible thing.

Pros:
-exposure to larger playerbase
-more playtesters available so that they don't have to rely on the judgment of people who haven't played the game in years.
-would be faster to notice imbalances

Cons:
-They'll likely stick to much harder deadlines. This means they would be less willing to take the time to ensure quality product if it requires going over time.
-they'll release sets too frequently. One of the most appealing things about mage wars is its accessibility to people who aren't super wealthy. That's extremely rare for a customizable strategy game and I would worry that FF wouldn't appreciate the untapped market that would give them access to.
For sure, AW doesn't release sets often enough. But if FF had this game they would likely release sets too often, and most of us competitive players would be unable to afford to continue playing competitively offline.
- they might retire the game after a certain amount of time without selling the rights to it to another publisher. IIRC this is what happened to netrunner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »

-more playtesters available so that they don't have to rely on the judgment of people who haven't played the game in years.

You really have no idea how playtesting works. I cannot speak for the activity of other playtesters but I'd imagine all of us have played a game in the last 6 months. Do you really think that the playtesters have little to no idea of the game and current meta?

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
Honestly Beldin not many of us know what playtesting entails. Tbh with you the only playtesters i see playing matches on octgn regularly are pretty few. Compared to the number of them that i know exist based purely on titles here on the forums. It's mostly griz and the AD crew, zot, WK and a few others.
So i naturally need to assume that most playtester info comes from cardboard games in local metas, perhaps at local game stores, and from whatever inside info they get from AW in the form of advanced releases for cards or new mages and the like. It's kind of a  ethereal concept to us rank and file down here on the ground.
He could also bee referring to the fact that since Aaron left the company it seems physically impossible to become a new playtester. So all the folks we know who do it are the same ones who have been for the last 4 years. Personally i trust ya all but i also know I've tried 3 or 4 times to become one with zero results in EITHER direction. So im sure he didn't mean anything by it. But at the same time i see where he's coming from.

That having been said i think the idea of getting AW to relinquish its best (imo) product to another company is rediculous. That's just me though
I love this game. Its awesome!

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
I think the big this would consistentsy with FFG. One thing I really like about the company is the hype that ty can make for their products, how they do the previews, interviews with the designers/playtesters and articles discussing the meta. All of these show that the company has interest in their own product. As for the quality I have always thought there products were very nice and high quality, you can tell a lot of work went into it. I think FFG has learned not to throw expansions at a game in a short amount of time. X-wing was damaged beyond repair because they came out with expansions to fast, they ended up breaking the game and are now making a 2.0. I really like the idea of how they do Arkham horror the card game. They have a big box release and then every month have a small pack of cards come out. Big box is about $30 and small ones are $15. I usually find them cheaper through amazon, but that’s MSRP. Imagine if AW did something like that but the big box didn’t have to be mages. Each cycle could be themed and then smaller packs deepen that theme you introduced with the big box. Maybe introduce a mage every other cycle. So now you would get nice steady amount of new content it won’t be as much at one time, but it’s constant.

One con would be that the consumer would pay more over the long term. This does turn into a pro as well since AW would possibly make more that the game would be supported more. Anyways this is how I would expect FFG to handle MW, based off their other games. I would expect expansions to be slower then games like x-wing just because there isn’t as big of a player base.