April 28, 2024, 02:08:48 PM

Author Topic: Mage wars 2.0  (Read 13508 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mage wars 2.0
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
If fantasy flight got mage wars I think it could be both a great thing and a terrible thing.

Cons:
-They'll likely stick to much harder deadlines. This means they would be less willing to take the time to ensure quality product if it requires going over time.
-they'll release sets too frequently. One of the most appealing things about mage wars is its accessibility to people who aren't super wealthy. That's extremely rare for a customizable strategy game and I would worry that FF wouldn't appreciate the untapped market that would give them access to.
For sure, AW doesn't release sets often enough. But if FF had this game they would likely release sets too often, and most of us competitive players would be unable to afford to continue playing competitively offline.

Your Cons are Pros as far as I am concerned. In fact your Cons are what I perceive as the biggest (and pretty much only) problems that AW has.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
I think Mage Wars 2.0 would be great if it solved some issues the current version has, perhaps a new and improved rules section, trimming down on condition markers and printing cards that have been changed.
A 2.0 version doesn't make sense to me if it doesn't "improve" the game in some aspect.

New artwork or whatever can just be any other card expansion. I think Mage Wars as it stands right now is a great game where the meta is always developing and it's definitely not in dire need of new expansion(s).

Sure, new expansions are always fun but since there are so many ways to build decks with multiple mages there's no "lack" in new decks to try out.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:50:54 PM by Drefan »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
Octagon user: Drefan

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
If they want to make a "Mage Wars 2.0", then they'll have to do more then just simple changes to various cards and abilities. Mage Wars is a 6 year old game that has a loyal fanbase, but it has a rather small community and it's too old to be expanded upon within the next couple of years.

If they could change parts of gameplay and properly advertise the game on Kickstarter or other platforms, then the 2nd edition would do well and might even put Arcane Wonders back in business. However, if they continue like they have been for the last few years and they do a crappy job on advertising the game, then they won't attract new players and it will be a total flop. Any kind of minor adjustments would only serve to please current Mage Wars players- it's not enough to attract new players to the game.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
Any kind of minor adjustments would only serve to please current Mage Wars players- it's not enough to attract new players to the game.

Or piss off current players - I think more of us are happy than not.

Realistically, it's not going to get a big fanbase now, 2.0 or not. It's a fantastic game, but that doesn't translate to a commercial game. It's also an old game and whatever window of opportunity it might have had and missed (if any)  will never be regained.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
Any kind of minor adjustments would only serve to please current Mage Wars players- it's not enough to attract new players to the game.

Realistically, it's not going to get a big fanbase now, 2.0 or not. It's a fantastic game, but that doesn't translate to a commercial game. It's also an old game and whatever window of opportunity it might have had and missed (if any)  will never be regained.
It won't ever be as big as mtg, but they could definitely be doing better than they are now. I mean as far as I can tell, they're successful enough that they're not ever going to have to sell the game, but they're not successful enough to grow the playerbase much. I think the only way at this point to get this game more attention would be something involving social status. Feature the game in important or presitigious public charity events, for instance. Especially the kind with a lot of nerdy gamer people. Like "free mw demos to everyone who donates $5 to the cause!"

The question is, what sorts of charities are tabletop gamer nerds likely to give to? I'm gonna have to ask silverclaw for advice on this I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »

It won't ever be as big as mtg, but they could definitely be doing better than they are now. I mean as far as I can tell, they're successful enough that they're not ever going to have to sell the game, but they're not successful enough to grow the playerbase much. I think the only way at this point to get this game more attention would be something involving social status. Feature the game in important or presitigious public charity events, for instance. Especially the kind with a lot of nerdy gamer people. Like "free mw demos to everyone who donates $5 to the cause!"

Mage Wars is 6 years old- at some point, some people will have to realize that it's an old game. As popular as it was at release, this game is not considered "a gem" and won't have any kind of "old age" appeal to it in a few years time. The reason why Academy is still being supported with Mages is because Mage Wars is Arcane Wonder's most succesfull product- however, if AW continues this policy and they are unable to release anything substantial in their gaming lineup, then it's doubtfull that they'll even be a company in 5 years time due to the fact that they can't release anything else that makes money.

Continuing on trying to advertise the game through conventions and local gaming groups isn't going to solve the fact that Mage Wars' time has passed and its stardom is over. What Arcane Wonders needs to do, in order to save itself and attract more fans, is to move on from Mage Wars and start releasing good games that people care about and are actually interested in. Every moment they keep focusing on Mage Wars is a moment they could spend trying to help this company from becoming bankrupt: Arcane Wonders needs to realize that they cannot rely on just 1 game, with a diminishing playerbase, in order to survive; there needs to be better games on the lineup then just little party games..

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
   mw is not arcanes only product, nor is it their best selling product. that belongs to sheriff of Nottingham i think. and they have other games coming out all the time. so not sure why folks think otherwise, but they are doing fine from what i can see. now of course we are all focused on mw because it is what we all want to see more of, and the sooner the better as we have been patiently waiting for the new mages to come along.

sure the rules could be tightened up some. fix some timing issues, and clarify murky places. and perhaps some conditions could be tweaked. but i for one really like the complex nuance that is mw. i do not favor reducing the conditions, as they all make sense thematically. so separate ones make a lot of sense. the myriad allow for different logical sorts of effects. and i think a few cards could be adjusted too. i think some cards are too powerful for their cost, and others are too expensive for their effects. but not sure what a 2.0 would look like as a complete overhaul would just be a different game, and most likely watered down and just not as good a game. i do not want to see the game standard lowered to meet the lowest common denominator like the rest of life seems to be. we are all capable of handling the complexity, so we want to keep it. dumbing it down would be horrible from my perspective, and i would very much likely quit playing, or certainly not purchase any new release like that.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
   mw is not arcanes only product, nor is it their best selling product. that belongs to sheriff of Nottingham i think. and they have other games coming out all the time. so not sure why folks think otherwise, but they are doing fine from what i can see.

Keep in mind that when I say "Mage Wars", I mean by Arena & Academy; so, I do strongly believe that Mage Wars is the most successful Arcane Wonders product to date.

They are a 3 person team, they struggle to communicate with their community, they release mediocre games such as Speechless (which is probably their worst game to date) with very poor advertising, and additional content takes ages to release; just because they've released 8 games doesn't mean that they have good sales. Have you seen the Dice Tower essentials on these forums? Nobody has posted there in years on that part of the forums.

Arcane Wonders is not "fine", they're struggling to get back on their feet.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:07:50 PM by EricTheGreat12 »

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 04:18:47 PM »

I do strongly believe that Mage Wars is the most successful Arcane Wonders product to date.

Bear in mind that Sheriff of Nottingham is stocked in major bookstores and MW isn't.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »

I do strongly believe that Mage Wars is the most successful Arcane Wonders product to date.

Bear in mind that Sheriff of Nottingham is stocked in major bookstores and MW isn't.

Bookstores... Actual bookstores??

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
Yes. I mean if you consider Barnes & Noble, Books a Million actual bookstores.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »
The reason why Academy is still being supported with Mages is because Mage Wars is Arcane Wonder's most succesfull product

It's not - not even close.

Mage Wars is supported because it's Bryan's baby. Commercially it takes far too much time and effort for it's rewards. This is the same as CCG's - they make it profitable by churning a thousand new cards a year  in a more lucrative sales model.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »
Keep in mind that when I say "Mage Wars", I mean by Arena & Academy; so, I do strongly believe that Mage Wars is the most successful Arcane Wonders product to date.

Arcane Wonders is not "fine", they're struggling to get back on their feet.

You can have that belief but it is wrong, for the record.

Also, The RWBY Combat Ready kickstarter raised roughly $800K; AW is doing just fine.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
Yes. I mean if you consider Barnes & Noble, Books a Million actual bookstores.

and more importantly from a retail standpoint,

Target
https://www.target.com/p/sheriff-of-nottingham-board-game/-/A-26391267

and

Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcane-Wonders-Sheriff-of-Nottingham-Board-Game/44724135

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
Struggling to get back on their feet my masculine buttocks lol. Dude AW does gang busters on Sheriff, Onitama, and Viral. Spoils of War and Totals are respectable as well. Something, oh something just tells me Critical Mass and RWBY are gonna be massive hits too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.