March 28, 2024, 10:47:59 AM

Author Topic: favorite mage  (Read 11544 times)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
favorite mage
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
ok the last of the favorites for a while. what is your favorite mage in mw. now, a couple rules. no discussions of tiers, no power discussion, no comparisons to other mages, no strata, no comparing mage stats, no exposition on training, no extensive list of creatures or spells to drive why you pick a certain mage, no dogma about how whatever mage you pick is so good, or anything like that at all. just simply what is your favorite mage to play. easy, quick. pick a mage and done. perhaps one sentence at most.

I love wizards. all the other mages wish they were wizards. wizards are superior in every way to all other mages. all other mages look up at wizards from beneath him in their lower tiers wishing they were that awesome. top tier mage alone at the top of the competition shelf. the absolute pinnacle of power. no other mage comes close. one word: metamagic awesomeness combined with the coolest creatures, and a stat card that is the envy of all others. it is all about power, and the wizard excels at wielding it. heck there is even a song - lightning crashes. 10 channeling. what? that is great. in school mana enhancements. wow. what is the shortest distance between two points? a line you say? foolish imbeciles, of course the answer is teleport. what nerf. pah! hasn't changed anything. no other mage comes close. he is the strongest mage in relation to all of the others.

all you new players don't listen to the inevitable naysayers. there is at least one in every crowd. here will be no different. they will offer up paltry stuff about some lame mage or other. just know, it is all wizard all the time. honestly not sure why they even bothered printing other mages. the game should have been called wizard wars.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: favorite mage
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
Man, zot, breaking all of your own rules immediately.  What are you some kinda troll?  ::)

Forcemaster is easily my favorite.  The sheer power of being able to arrange the pieces on the board to your heart's desire and the amazing utility and different playstyles she's gained in the last few sets is just pure fun.

Viva la Force Pull!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
My favorite mage has to be the paladin.

I always loved the Holy and War schools, and a mage with good training in both is just golden. Some of the best training in the game enables him to play in so many different ways without one being necessarily stronger than the other.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
Straywood Beastmaster because i like my pets!

Necromancer feel a bit the same with the Eternal Servant.

Druids also,because we love our Tree!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »
Easily the Necromancer.

My MW circle agrees with me that my dice rolling has been, over all the time we’ve played, below par.

Necromancer has more ways to deal damage without rolling those $&*@& dice!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
see everyone is getting it. simple short statements about their wrong choice and about how lame their choice is, which is obvious when you consider the awesomeness of the wizard. nicely done folks.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
Necromancer, all other Mages rot away and serve me as zombies after they passed away.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:28:41 PM by Karadox »
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
see everyone is getting it. simple short statements about their wrong choice and about how lame their choice is, which is obvious when you consider the awesomeness of the wizard. nicely done folks.

Dude, I can't tell if you're joking or being serious. The wizard was never overpowered in the conventional sense. He used sheer spellbook point advantage to force all other mages to choose between being able to deal with the wizard vs being able to deal with non-wizards who ignored the wizard matchup.

And no one except the wizard had enough spell points to deal with both.

And the reason for the wizard's advantage in spell points was because of his overly flexible training and having virtually unlimited uses of his attack spells because of wizard tower having spellbind. When combined with his in school access to both elemental wand and Mage wand, this meant that he was the only mage with three different in school sources of spellbind, while all other mages had only one, except for the Forcemaster who could summon multiple spores, but those spores were easier to kill than the tower and she didn't have much other in school creature support besides them.

In short, before the errata the wizard was able to include significantly more spells in his decks than any other mage could while still being competitive, and this meant he had more tools for each matchup. Anyone who didn't specifically design their spellbooks to hate against wizards in particular would get trounced.

That isn't the case anymore though. The wizard is a lot more fun to play and play against nowadays.

Forcemaster is my favorite btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:53:13 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »
Straywood beastmaster is my favorite.

Siren has been a lot of fun lately.  Don't think it will ever surpass the beastmaster but to lay down a tsnumai is always fun or terrifying depending on who is playing it.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »

Dude, I can't tell if you're joking or being serious. The wizard was never overpowered in the conventional sense. He used sheer spellbook point advantage to force all other mages to choose between being able to deal with the wizard vs being able to deal with non-wizards who ignored the wizard matchup.

And the reason for the wizard's advantage in spell points was because of his overly flexible training and having virtually unlimited uses of his attack spells because of wizard tower having spellbind. When combined with his in school access to both elemental wand and Mage wand, this meant that he was the only mage with three different in school sources of spellbind, while all other mages had only one, except for the Forcemaster who could summon multiple spores, but those spores were easier to kill than the tower and she didn't have much other in school creature support besides them.

In short, before the errata the wizard was able to include significantly more spells in his decks than any other mage could while still being competitive, and this meant he had more tools for each matchup. Anyone who didn't specifically design their spellbooks to hate against wizards in particular would get trounced.

That isn't the case anymore though. The wizard is a lot more fun to play and play against nowadays.

Dude, Sailor.  Never feed Trolls.   ;)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »

Dude, Sailor.  Never feed Trolls.   ;)
I'm not sure whether you're joking or being serious either. Zot used to be on here a lot in the past but them he disappeared from the forums for a long time. And now he's returned. Do you really think he came back as a troll?

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:53:28 PM »
Pretty sure Puddn is joking.
The Phoenix shall rise.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:06:43 PM »
They are both joking. Zots statement was so steeped in sarcasm that i can taste it. From here. In Connecticut. In my basement... still
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »
Our perception appears to vary. To me, Zot and Puddn are dead serious and they don't understand Henry's subtle but elaborate sarcastic joke.

Onto more serious things, I really love my Warlock. Be strong, get stronger, make others weak. Curses can counter anything, even lets you avoid having to roll dice.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 12:17:48 AM »
Curses can counter anything, even lets you avoid having to roll dice.

There is a reason why warlock is my no. 2 :)
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist