April 29, 2024, 10:33:56 AM

Author Topic: The future of Mage Wars  (Read 50782 times)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: The future of Mage Wars
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2017, 06:06:56 AM »
5 pages of dicsussion and no hate. Am i on a right internet?

This could happen only on MW forum. Thx for this guys, you are awesome.

And now for not to be off topic.

The Mage Wars app will be removed from iOs and Android app stores in January, if not sooner.

I hope that the app will still work. I used it for all of my matches and playtesting too. Just adjust a life and mana if the mage is not there (Siren/Paladin) and you are good to go. :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2017, 11:31:17 AM »
I hope that the app will still work. I used it for all of my matches and playtesting too. Just adjust a life and mana if the mage is not there (Siren/Paladin) and you are good to go. :)

If you've bought the app, then it should automatically stay in your Itunes library and should be available to download whenever you wish.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
5 pages of dicsussion and no hate. Am i on a right internet?

This could happen only on MW forum. Thx for this guys, you are awesome.

I hate you all equally.  ;) ;D 8)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »
Then why has the online community become almost a ghost town?

Because threads like these kill our buzz? :)

Seriously though, this is an awesome game, and I love all of the connectivity that has been provided to us free of charge. It's nice to keep connected in whatever manner is possible.

As for me, when I see threads that interest me, or if I feel like I can be helpful, I put in my thoughts. Sometimes I start threads when I feel that I have something that is interesting, or a question that I need to ask, etc. Lately though, I agree, there seem to have been fewer of those threads waiting for me to catch up on when I get online... at least in those message areas that I frequent. It, however, isn't going to stop me from continuing to post comments or books, or to ask questions, and I'm not going to stop to complain about other people not putting up material... I figure I can post more myself instead, to try to get more activity on the board if I really crave it that much.

Why have the majority of regular mage wars players on octgn who used to be active in this community left?

... the online community does seem to be gradually shrinking to the point where it is not feasible to play it online as a hobby....

I don't know that anyone can do anything more than speculate. I suppose that there may be many reasons that people move away from online gaming in general. It may just be that some have migrated to playing in person. It also might be that they have had their lives become more involved, and can no longer devote so much time to online activity. Maybe folks have lost their access to the online community. I guess there could be others.

Maybe I can do some demos.

Awesome! My best wishes to you there... I hope you do get more local activity. I know it's a thankless "job" hanging around a game store for hours to try to interest people in checking out the game, but the potential up-side is well worth it. I know that you gave me an introduction to Academy out at Origins one time, and I really appreciated it. No one else sat me down and let me experience Academy. I bought some product directly because of that experience, and use it off and on now. There are others out that who will do the same.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »
in my town, i´m the only one trying to make a community, and it´s very hard because now people prefer playing quick games, and when they see that it´s english many of them are scared, when the traduced edition arrived, too many mistakes, another people see that all mages, in their opinión are unbalanced, because they see too many attack fire spells and a lack of plant creatures for druid. I dónt understand why don´t we get with each expansión, at least one new card for each mage, because you must wait 2 years or more to get a new thematic for your favourite game, in my last demostration, i playing vs druid, and i win my opponent because i killed his 12 plants/vine creatures, and several of them were imposible to move (root), this person said that he couldn´t understand why another mages have too many versátil creatures to choose and druid only a few for her thematic. For me this game it´s fantastic but its hard to enjoy a particular mage when you see all others get more cards whith each expansión, you can use those new cards, but you must pay more cost, at the end if you like to win you must play the favourite mage whit more cards and discard your favourite.

I hope this year whith the announcment of 4 new mages we´ll get the game more balanced, and new thematics for all mages.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Druid is definitely one of the most powerful mages btw...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
Also, Druid can efficiently use any of the Nature creatures/spells (I find Cervere is particularly effective, as are Thunderrift Falcons, and the dozens of Enchantments), along with all the level 1 water spells. Don't forget about Tanglevine, which can be cast through Vine Tree anywhere you have a vine marker. And rooted doesn't prevent Teleportation, including the very efficient Lesser Teleport. And speaking of Druid spells in other expansions, have you seen Swamp (PvS), Tangleroot (Academy core), Waterfall Cloak (LG1?), etc?

A fire-based Warlock is pretty much a Druid's only bad matchup, and even then it isn't an impossible situation for a good Druid player. (Personally I find Forcemaster vs Wizard or Necromancer to be a more difficult challenge than Druid vs Warlock, and Forcemaster is one of my best mages).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:39:28 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2017, 06:35:40 AM »
Also, Druid can efficiently use any of the Nature creatures/spells (I find Cervere is particularly effective, as are Thunderrift Falcons, and the dozens of Enchantments), along with all the level 1 water spells. Don't forget about Tanglevine, which can be cast through Vine Tree anywhere you have a vine marker. And rooted doesn't prevent Teleportation, including the very efficient Lesser Teleport. And speaking of Druid spells in other expansions, have you seen Swamp (PvS), Tangleroot (Academy core), Waterfall Cloak (LG1?), etc?

A fire-based Warlock is pretty much a Druid's only bad matchup, and even then it isn't an impossible situation for a good Druid player. (Personally I find Forcemaster vs Wizard or Necromancer to be a more difficult challenge than Druid vs Warlock, and Forcemaster is one of my best mages).

i know that druid is very good, only trying to say that she has few plant creatures, a mage is funnier when he or she has more variety, i prefer only play plant or vine creatures because i don´t see a grizzly or dragon in a druid spell book, i hope soon we get more plants and a very good sustitutive or targorath .

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »
Ah, your issue is theme rather than mechanics. I'll duck out then - I'll happily put demons, zombies and angels in a druid if it does what I want...

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
Im kind of in the same mindset there. This game differs from others in just how customizable the books can become. Every mage can use 90 percent of the spells available without needing to add specific conditioners to play them, like the colors of mana from MtG. Also theme decks don't do the same kind of thing they do in MtG, where if one plays just soldiers or warriors or elves or what have you, one gains many synergy bonuses simply by virtue of having them together. Plants, clerics, angels etc don't carry the same synergy bonuses in mage wars. At least not directly. They usually require extra set up wirh additional cards in MWs play style, cards like armory, royal armorer, tooth and nail, or badger frenzy.
Because of this fact pretty much every set contains spells for every mage. In fact most MW expansions make a point of printing cards that help DEFEAT the new mechanics they bring out to maintain balance, cards mind shield, arcane ward, siphon energy, etc.
So in MW you're welcome to make a book with just plants in it so you can keep to your theme, but because my druid might have fireballs or a flaming hellion in it for utility, you may not be optimally prepared for what you might see.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2017, 07:03:49 PM »
Im kind of in the same mindset there. This game differs from others in just how customizable the books can become. Every mage can use 90 percent of the spells available without needing to add specific conditioners to play them, like the colors of mana from MtG. Also theme decks don't do the same kind of thing they do in MtG, where if one plays just soldiers or warriors or elves or what have you, one gains many synergy bonuses simply by virtue of having them together. Plants, clerics, angels etc don't carry the same synergy bonuses in mage wars. At least not directly. They usually require extra set up wirh additional cards in MWs play style, cards like armory, royal armorer, tooth and nail, or badger frenzy.
Because of this fact pretty much every set contains spells for every mage. In fact most MW expansions make a point of printing cards that help DEFEAT the new mechanics they bring out to maintain balance, cards mind shield, arcane ward, siphon energy, etc.
So in MW you're welcome to make a book with just plants in it so you can keep to your theme, but because my druid might have fireballs or a flaming hellion in it for utility, you may not be optimally prepared for what you might see.

Again this comes down to the question of SBP vs effect. I happily put 1-2 Heal in every book I play. In Dark books I pay triple for them, however a spike 8 dice of healing can win a match, or at the very least keep it going long enough that you can creatively win.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2017, 09:55:37 PM »
thats exactly what im saying. theres no need to add white mana or a specific card or crystal or mcguffin to the book to make it work. stick the heal in there, pay the 6 SP and your done, enjoy your 8 dice of healing whenever you want it! Its what makes this game so awesome, stick adramalech in that wizard book! Throw titanodon in a druid book! pet that unicorn and enjoy the crap outa that extra life and armor and dice. Thematically it makes perfect sense, this is a world where raw magic literally solves world problems. i imagine every mage is colored a bit dfferently as far as the magic they like to work goes. play around and see what works, sometimes its worth it just for the Ha ha's. Hell , i played Resuresction in one of my Druids and it was worth every one of the 8SP.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »
thats exactly what im saying. theres no need to add white mana or a specific card or crystal or mcguffin to the book to make it work. stick the heal in there, pay the 6 SP and your done, enjoy your 8 dice of healing whenever you want it! Its what makes this game so awesome, stick adramalech in that wizard book! Throw titanodon in a druid book! pet that unicorn and enjoy the crap outa that extra life and armor and dice. Thematically it makes perfect sense, this is a world where raw magic literally solves world problems. i imagine every mage is colored a bit dfferently as far as the magic they like to work goes. play around and see what works, sometimes its worth it just for the Ha ha's. Hell , i played Resuresction in one of my Druids and it was worth every one of the 8SP.

This is a big reason I love MW. Thanks for pointing this out Romeo <3
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
I am pretty sure druid is one of the four academy mages to be published in 2018.
I hope i really hope the creatures have famme + and water immunity, root and uproot.
It is not difficult to understand that plants burn more easily.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
I am pretty sure druid is one of the four academy mages to be published in 2018.
I hope i really hope the creatures have famme + and water immunity, root and uproot.
It is not difficult to understand that plants burn more easily.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Druid, Necro, Paladin and Siren are the 4 mages. Bringing all arena mages to academy.

That being said, I'm hoping they somehow incorporate conjurations in there for Arena. Some of my favorite plants / vines for the druid are the conjurations. I would really like to see more.