April 27, 2024, 05:24:25 PM

Author Topic: The future of Mage Wars  (Read 50770 times)

EricTheGreat12

The future of Mage Wars
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »
Hello everyone  ;D

It's been a long time since I've last posted, a little after when Paladin vs Siren was released. Every once in a while I'll look around, and see what is going on in the community.

A few expansions for Academy, but looking at these forums it's like a ghost town. I'm struggling to understand if this brand is going to survive in the short-term. We know that expansions are coming, but at this rate of releasing content this is not healthy for the business. It's understandable that they have other projects, but the lack of any word of progress from the creators tells me we're going to be heavily disappointed with how Mage Wars arena will continue to progress.

I do not attend any tournaments, but it would be interesting to hear from some people who the attendance is doing.

This was a great game for me in highschool, and the last thing I would want to see is it going down the drain because this game will be cast aside and forgotten.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The future of Mage Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
why are you in a rush? content comes, were the last sets released so many months ago? i don't think so

i actually like the slower approach, they test the game and offer great products

ffg release schedule is too much imo, something new every month or so. i like how it is, even if it takes long sometimes

you can play so many stufff with what exists already,you got bored of all the possibilities?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
In terms of communication, it might seem particularly quiet because a lot of the frequent posters are also playtesters, and they're probably restricted from saying much. And since Laddinfance's departure, there is a lot less communication out from an "official" information source. The Arcane Duels team does their part (and is responsible for wielding the mighty banana hammer), but Matt (Ash) rarely posts, and I don't recall the last time Bryan Pope posted.

So yeah, forums seem dead in terms of product spoilers or hype, aside from the odd regional tournament. But at least there is some art for new Academy and Arena mages, as seen on the new Arcane Wonders store home page:
http://shop.arcanewonders.com/

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
No I agree - the huge lack of content for Arena has killed it, and several times I've brought people into the game to have them quit, because nothing new is coming out. In it's essence, Arena is not a boardgame, it's an LCG skirmish wargame, and both CCG/LCG's and Wargames survive on a constant stream of releases.

AW are a small company, and are doing what they can with the resources that they have, but the lack of releases and stirring up the metagame has had a large and negative impact. And no, Academy releases don't count (and there's not nearly enough of them if they did).

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »
In terms of communication, it might seem particularly quiet because a lot of the frequent posters are also playtesters, and they're probably restricted from saying much. And since Laddinfance's departure, there is a lot less communication out from an "official" information source. The Arcane Duels team does their part (and is responsible for wielding the mighty banana hammer), but Matt (Ash) rarely posts, and I don't recall the last time Bryan Pope posted.

So yeah, forums seem dead in terms of product spoilers or hype, aside from the odd regional tournament. But at least there is some art for new Academy and Arena mages, as seen on the new Arcane Wonders store home page:
http://shop.arcanewonders.com/

I did notice the image earlier. But again, that doesn't account for the lack of people who are posting here on the forums. It feels like the public's interest for the game is quickly diminishing.

No I agree - the huge lack of content for Arena has killed it, and several times I've brought people into the game to have them quit, because nothing new is coming out. In it's essence, Arena is not a boardgame, it's an LCG skirmish wargame, and both CCG/LCG's and Wargames survive on a constant stream of releases.

AW are a small company, and are doing what they can with the resources that they have, but the lack of releases and stirring up the metagame has had a large and negative impact. And no, Academy releases don't count (and there's not nearly enough of them if they did).

Exactly. Academy is a good concept, but it is in no way a complete MW Arena Part 2. And communication would come a long way in helping the fanbase stay with Mage Wars. Having an expansion for Arena every 1-2 years is hurting our interest in this game.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:00:45 PM by EricTheGreat12 »

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
There should be 2 new mages or a new set per year for Arena (In a regular cycle).

We were promised frost spells, I want to see em.

I had heard that mounts should come.
I am not sure if this is a good idea. I think that would change the whole game.

If at least we would learn from time to time what is planned.

A set like Lost Grimoire should be possible every year. Some new spells for each spell school.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:36:29 PM by Karadox »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
As much as I agree things have slowed down on the forums.  I think there is a cycle that happens around the release of expansions where they are very active and than slow down.  That said as a play tester all I can say is content is being produced for the game and I am excited for what is around the corner. 

Activity for the game I feel is getting stronger in the sense that several groups around the Midwest have been and continue to host events.   Winter war Mage wars  tournament is in January. Getting together in Indy this weekend with peeps from Chicago, St Louis, Indy, and Champaign.    The game is still the  best game IMO with new  content or not.  It continues to be strong by the fans and I believe could continue to grow if players keep introducing it at their local game stores. Personally I feel things are very active around multiple communities.

Is the game going to get as popular as some or any CCG or living card game? I don't think it needs too and prefer it stays a manageable set of cards and release cycle.  it would be nice if more players continued to play and it grew bigger. 

I would like to see some of things mentioned by others.  however  I am also pretty content of what has been produced for the game in the past couple of years is a decent amount.  We waited so long for PvS that we actually have had a lot of development since . And each expansion has made all the schools have more balance IMO

As far as communication goes from Mage wars I agree it could be better but I think that also has to do with how good others are doing about answering questions for new players.  And to give credit to Laddinfance he just did a great job at answering questions. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »
also folks have likely been super busy with family events due to the holiday and time of year. i suspect it usually slows down a lot in november and december.

depending on where you are, i am having an impromptu mw weekend here in indy. anyone who can make it is welcome to attend. ping me for further details if you are planning on making it.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:53:03 AM »
As much as I agree things have slowed down on the forums.  I think there is a cycle that happens around the release of expansions where they are very active and than slow down. 

It's nothing whatsoever to do with expansions. It's been this way for most of Mage Wars' life. There have only been 2 brief periods that have even come close to a regular frequent release schedule.

That said as a play tester all I can say is content is being produced for the game and I am excited for what is around the corner. 

Hmmm... no comment!

Is the game going to get as popular as some or any CCG or living card game? I don't think it needs too and prefer it stays a manageable set of cards and release cycle.  it would be nice if more players continued to play and it grew bigger. 

It won't grow bigger (and hasn't) for precisely the reasons of not enough content. Quite the opposite, lots of players have left, we went from regular tournaments 2 years ago, and a national, to tournaments being cancelled at conventions for lack of interest, and local ones not being run. Academy won't help this at all.

I would like to see some of things mentioned by others.  however  I am also pretty content of what has been produced for the game in the past couple of years is a decent amount. 

Then that's where we differ - what's been produced in the last 2 years is enough for 6 months, no more.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:14:36 AM »
Yep!
I like slow tempo (expansions well built, less expenses and let me time to study the possibilities of a set before the next arrives), but we are here somewhere between a neurasthenic turtle and a one-legged snail...
I don't think MW will disappear: it's like that for many years and there's always another expansion, but, well, a word about a project, something about a new arena set (last one was a year ago!), would be cool!

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »
Let us see what you work on, give us something. It's christmas soon.
It would be nice to hear from arcane wanders what's coming up next year.

Be the way:
I did not think it was very good that we got the first pictures of forcemaster and warlord expansion from a trader in the internte, not as an announcement from arcane wanders.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:06:23 AM by Karadox »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »
Yep!
I like slow tempo (expansions well built, less expenses and let me time to study the possibilities of a set before the next arrives), but we are here somewhere between a neurasthenic turtle and a one-legged snail...
I don't think MW will disappear: it's like that for many years and there's always another expansion, but, well, a word about a project, something about a new arena set (last one was a year ago!), would be cool!
Again no doubt that changes could or should be changed I am still sticking to what I have said.  I am excited for new expansions and have been think the releases that have came out have been pretty sweet.

I am fairly new to the forums than many players here so I can not really comment on how busy the forums were in the past.  I can just see from others who do care about the game still meet and still have local tourneys.  Yea I would love it if Mage Wars was more popular and I agree it most likely will not get that way.  However I think that local groups are doing a good job keeping excitement and creating events.  I can not speak tho for others outside of the Midwest but have hope that it's just a busy season right now like Zot has suggested.   

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
That said as a play tester all I can say is content is being produced for the game and I am excited for what is around the corner. 

It continues to be strong by the fans and I believe could continue to grow if players keep introducing it at their local game stores. Personally I feel things are very active around multiple communities.

It would be nice if more players continued to play and it grew bigger. 

We waited so long for PvS that we actually have had a lot of development since.

As far as communication goes from Mage wars I agree it could be better but I think that also has to do with how good others are doing about answering questions for new players.  And to give credit to Laddinfance he just did a great job at answering questions.

1. New content that will please those who are patient enough to wait. But, is one expansion going to bring attention back, when those exact people realize that they are going to have to wait another year before they can see content after that again? We waited a long time for Paladin vs Siren and it was a breath of fresh air, but that doesn't solve the game's problems in the long run.

2. No one here is denying that this is a good game, I enjoyed it just as much as anyone else on this forum has. But  there comes a time where we have to realize that we are customers, we ask for and expect content. Again, it's not the quality that is killing this game, it's the lack of expansions at a steady pace that keeps the attention of the players. 

3. Laddinfance was a perfect liason in between the community and Arcane Wonders. I don't know the real reason why he left, but I thought the way he slowly showed off the PvsS cards to have been excellent; it was an excellent way to grab our attention and to keep us guessing. Whatever the reason for his leaving was, I am disappointed that no one has been able to properly take his position (No offence to PunHead or Coshade). Community interaction would come a long way in solving the diminishing fan base.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:36:39 AM by EricTheGreat12 »

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »
The liaison is TonyGullotti

I expect he is reviewing the site and should be commenting on things to provide updates. Certainly more frequently than near zero.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Hey I'm sorry I'm just confused we have gotten warlord academy and forcemaster academy in the past year and I believe both of those have made new viable strategies available and allowed more flexibility to multiple schools.  Did it help make major hype for the game idk maybe not. 

I do know not everyone uses these forums and some players if not most newer players have directed questions to boardgamegeek from what I can tell.  And casual players may not go on any forums.

Yea more communication would be nice and focus on the brand would be great for he community I just think some are jumping to conclusions here. And the idea or this thread the game is dead is an old topic that has been brought up for years.

Sorry just not of fan of bashing the game or its creators here. 
No I don't speak for anyone this is just my opinion. 

One thing that would fix this is more open communication from arcane wonders and I totally agree they could do a lot more. arcane duels have developed great content and keep doing it.  So I do think they are doing their best to help keep the community going.