May 01, 2024, 05:32:24 PM

Author Topic: The future of Mage Wars  (Read 50815 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: The future of Mage Wars
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »
Well now that Tony is here, are we to not expect another arena mage set next year?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »
+50

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2017, 02:44:11 AM »
Well now that Tony is here, are we to not expect another arena mage set next year?

I think the chances are close to zero. Personally I have some doubts that we will see another one...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:21:53 AM by Kelanen »

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2017, 03:15:19 AM »
Im sure her on the forum at least 90% like Arena more as Academy...
As I've Imalready written that I understand that they work more on academy but that's not good news. At least you can now adjust to it.
I think they should think about it and publish a Lost Grimoire 2.0 2018 and every year after that (maybe to Christmas).
No new ore Terrans, Conuratins, spells designed for Arena next year...

We as arena players, buy two Academy extension to have a full set, at least I'll do it that way. For that reason alone, the sales figures are better.
We arena players support a product with which we use the cards but we do not play in the real sense and thus prevent / delay the publication of arena sets.
As paladin vs sirens and Lost Grimoire followed each other so quickly i thought now it starts with releases for aena, (i love both) now in after it would be better to wait a few months with the release of Lost Grimoire.
 I really thought this year the frost spells would come out now it looks like there's nothing for arena next year for us.

I like the Academy Cards... alot but umm,....

How about a poll?

What do you prefer?

A: another Academy Mage
or
B: Lost Grimoire 2.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:57:00 AM by Karadox »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 04:44:28 AM »
A other extension for academy.  But  with  the  same mage  card for arena inside.

:P

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2017, 04:59:19 AM »
I understand what you want to say ...
But then I would like to see a "arena razortusk" with charge and some Conjurations in the next academy set.
The poor (academy) pig has no chance against a timber wolf.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:43:23 AM by Karadox »

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »
no arena in 2018... bad news... but no surprise...
(I'm not even sure I'll buy the next academy sets: it's very complicate and expensive to get them in switzerland, for a few secondary cards)

the good news is AW want to keep the licence: If there is a next arena set, it will be the same high quality as the others!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »
Keep in mind that expansions for Academy also double as expansions for Arena. That's why they're taking a bit of focus, because they're a two-for-one deal. It's not really fair to say we're getting no new Arena expansions, when each Academy expansion has to be tested and viable in both formats. These cards are meant for Arena play.

I understand the complaints that this two-for-one deal limits what we can get, but these design constraints actually encourage creativity as well. How do you make conjurations, push/teleport/charge, and a whole host of other things work in a one zone environment? We don't just ignore these questions cause they're meant for a larger Arena, we actively engage with them and see what we can come up with. I can't promise any of them will actually ever see the light of day in an Academy set, they certainly have a lot of challenges to them, but just cause they're not an obvious fit doesn't mean we aren't looking at them. I mean, just look at the Forcemaster. How do you make an Academy version of a mage who focuses on solo fighting and pushing people around? That was a tough nut to crack, but I think we did a pretty good job and got some really amazing things that nobody saw coming. Druid relies on conjurations and Siren relies on Terrain. If we ever want an Academy version of those mages, don't you think we'll be looking at those?

What makes Karadox think that Frost can't debut in an Academy set? Or other whole new terms/mechanics?

And then there's a point to be made that just because no new Arena only sets were announced, does NOT mean that none will be made. He also didn't announce any new Dice Tower Essential games, but do any of you doubt that's in the plans? All it means is that they're not ready to announce things yet. Arcane Wonders can be a bit slow about things, we all know this, but the cries about "the end is near" haven't come true in any of the years past. Like he said, this has actually been one of the most content filled years ever for Mage Wars, and people still think the lack of content this year must spell doom. Mage Wars just doesn't have a lot of releases per year. It just doesn't. Maybe it should, that can be debated, but there's nothing unusual about the release schedule going on.

But nothing about the announcement of four, FOUR, new Mage Wars sets in the next year should have you depressed about the state of the game. Jeeze.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »
But nothing about the announcement of four, FOUR, new Mage Wars sets in the next year should have you depressed about the state of the game.

You're right it should not be like that, maybe i'll think differently about it when i saw the Sets.

For Forstspells we wait for Years now, ist the big Think, it shout be appearing in Arena where a Bear has FostResidenz, not like his Family in Academy.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
And to piggyback off of what Zuberi is saying academy cards are not to be overlooked or even be second Tier.  I will argue that they have made and will continue to change the meta of the game.  If you have not used or tried them out you are also missing out on more diverse builds.  No not every card will be cost effective for arena but that is also bc arena has been out longer than academy and it is catching up. 

Glad to hear from Tony and curious of more announcements about MW. 

The sky is not falling and it never was.  I hope players can be satisfied and keep supporting the game, because it is the best game out in the market even if it is not as popular as others. 

Again it starts with us the players and fans to keep supporting, promoting, and helping others learn the game.  Keep trying to establish a community in your local game stores and I hope it flourishes and you have some MW partners to play the game Sailor. 

as a playtester I can not comment on future development  but just know the new sets will not disappoint Karadox.  :D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
And to piggyback off of what Zuberi is saying academy cards are not to be overlooked or even be second Tier.  I will argue that they have made and will continue to change the meta of the game.  If you have not used or tried them out you are also missing out on more diverse builds.  No not every card will be cost effective for arena but that is also bc arena has been out longer than academy and it is catching up. 

Glad to hear from Tony and curious of more announcements about MW. 

The sky is not falling and it never was.  I hope players can be satisfied and keep supporting the game, because it is the best game out in the market even if it is not as popular as others. 

Again it starts with us the players and fans to keep supporting, promoting, and helping others learn the game.  Keep trying to establish a community in your local game stores and I hope it flourishes and you have some MW partners to play the game Sailor. 

as a playtester I can not comment on future development  but just know the new sets will not disappoint Karadox.  :D
Then why has the online community become almost a ghost town? Why have the majority of regular mage wars players on octgn who used to be active in this community left? I already said that the release schedule for expansions is NOT the problem. I didn't say that the game has died already, and I didn't say that it's going to die. But the online community does seem to be gradually shrinking to the point where it is not feasible to play it online as a hobby, and if not for arcane duels the online community would likely shrink much faster. Usually the community is more active around the holidays, not less, right? Unlike now. Or am I just remembering wrong?

Maybe the game will make a comeback somehow, and we will end up with levels of activity and engagement in this community like we had in 2013. I don't think the forums or octgn have ever been as active since that year. Used to be that I could often find five or even ten or more people available for online games of Mage Wars at a time. Now it's a lot harder to find even one or two at a time. There's never more than two games of Mage Wars being played online at the same time any more, and usually it's not even that many. I expect that we are unlikely to have any team games online ever again unless we have an official arcane duels event for them.

Personally, I really hope that soon as Arcane wonders gets back from Dice Tower con, that they tell us exactly what they plan to do to deal with these issues. I would like very much to keep Mage Wars as my main gaming Hobby, but I am strongly considering switching to something else and making mage wars something I only play on very rare occasion when I actually have someone to play it against.

The fact that AW is not selling the license tells me that either they're succumbing to sunk cost fallacy, or that they have a plan for dealing with these issues, or that their dice tower essentials line has been successful enough that they don't mind what's been happening to the mage wars community. Maybe a smaller community of less frequent mage wars players is more manageable for them or something, I don't know.

I honestly don't know what they're thinking or what they're planning to do about these issues if anything. That information is kinda important for me to decide whether to get into a different game as my replacement main gaming hobby or not.

Now that I think about it since a lot of people will be going home for the holidays (I live in a University city), there might be some people left who might not have anything to do. I'll call my FLGS to ask them if they're open over the break.

Maybe I can do some demos.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:57:18 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Parliament

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
I’m glad to hear the info from Tony. 4 Academy sets is excellent! I use quite a lot of the Academy cards released so far in Arena, and I think the newer Academy sets seem to be designed with Arena in mind as well. I know the designers and playtesters have been busy with some really cool things for the game, and I look forward to them when they arrive. Until then I’ll continue to explore what’s in the game now, including a new build for me tonight that I will be using (A ranged Bloodwave build).

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
Hey sailor all my previous comments are not meant for entirely for you and mostly relating to the person who posted the thread.  I am not mad or angry, and my initial annoyment was not meant for you.   I PM you about this before and Sorry if my messages feel like a personal attack against your viewpoints. 

I feel for you Sailor and others who feel the same way about the community.  all I can say is you are in control of you and I nor AW can or should convince you to stay with the game.  I hate to see another player leave.   
The doom and gloom from your posts is sad to me and I personally wish you were happy.  I think you are a really fun Player to play against, the game we played together at origins was fun, and I thought you were a very good sportsman, respectful/courteous during our match, and it was an overall fun match.  I hope you stay on board but if don't that is fine too. 

you have the choice to continue to be part of the community and continue playing or not.   Other option take a break from it for a bit and come back, i will still be playing and many others.   MW is not everything and it should not take away joy from your life.   

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »
Farkas, I apologize for what seems to be sour relations between the both of us. All I can say is that I appreciate your strong passion for this game, and I hope that you will continue to be involved in the game's development during the next few years to come.

Tony, I understand that you do not like me either; I apologize if I have offended you, all I wanted was to start a community discussion.

Nonetheless, I do think that Sailor brings up good points. People are right when they say that Academy cards can be used with Arena, but the idea is that Arena and Academy are different products; the lack of new sets for Arena is not solved simply because Academy has new cards.

If we are to use the excuse of having Academy cards in Arena, we might as well stop making expansions for Arena all together.                   

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »
Hey Eric even if the posts got heated I'm not saying I don't like u as a person or value you or sailors opinions.  aSorry if that did not come across and i do respect your opinions.   Again It is alright to disagree, and it does not mean I don't like you or think you guys are wrong in having this discussion or having the feelings you have.  It's a free world and you guys can express what you want.   I can and appreciate the community and the ideas.   I enjoy a good debate and I have no personal ill will against you Eric and hope you can develop a community of MW in ur area.