April 27, 2024, 05:02:05 PM

Author Topic: The future of Mage Wars  (Read 50769 times)

EricTheGreat12

Re: The future of Mage Wars
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
Hey I'm sorry I'm just confused we have gotten warlord academy and forcemaster academy in the past year and I believe both of those have made new viable strategies available and allowed more flexibility to multiple schools.  Did it help make major hype for the game idk maybe not. 

I do know not everyone uses these forums and some players if not most newer players have directed questions to boardgamegeek from what I can tell.  And casual players may not go on any forums.

Yea more communication would be nice and focus on the brand would be great for he community I just think some are jumping to conclusions here. And the idea or this thread the game is dead is an old topic that has been brought up for years.

Sorry just not of fan of bashing the game or its creators here. 
No I don't speak for anyone this is just my opinion. 

One thing that would fix this is more open communication from arcane wonders and I totally agree they could do a lot more. arcane duels have developed great content and keep doing it.  So I do think they are doing their best to help keep the community going. 

Ok, so we can agree on the lack of communication on the company's side of things. Arcane Duels is good, their coverage of the PvsS expansion was very helpful, but the point is to have better coverage between company and consumer.

-"Sorry just not of fan of bashing the game or its creators here."

Since when is criticism to be always a nuisance? I want to bring an important topic up that Arcane Wonders will hopefully reply to. I am not bashing the game either, and any concerns&criticisms are allowed here on this forum. I am not insulting the team in any way, all I want is to shed light on an issue that Arcane Wonders has been unable to properly address.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
I think we are all here, because "mage wars" is close to our hearts, and we see that something goes wrong.

Arcane Duels and Keejchen keep the game alive for me/ for us.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
I agree that activity on the forums has drastically decreased over time and a ton of people who used to be really into the game have left. In fact I would say that the majority of competitive Mage Wars players that we've had in this community over the past few years have already left.

I totally agree, this forum is basically a ghost town at the moment.

I don't think the slow release schedule is the problem. Mage Wars has a very large amount of possible viable spellbooks and arena maps and custom formats that it basically has infinite replayability. The slow release schedule would be fine if there was more community engagement and more frequent release of mage wars products in general besides just card expansions.

What we need is more content in general and more communication from AW, not just expansions. All of the organized play story material was taken down when the website was updated, and they still only have ONE book released and everything else story related is posted on the forums rather than being published in books where more casual players are more likely to see it. And the game has been out for almost six years.

The problem simply put in my opinion is that Arcane Wonders bit off more than they could chew by creating a game that was too big for them to support on their own with such a small staff. I think they should have asked for more help. Either by making some sort of partnership with another company that's willing to supply extra people to help but still lets AW do their own thing, or simply asking for more volunteer help from the fanbase.

I know there are probably a lot of things that they might not be comfortable having people do without paying people for it, but I think it's important to be realistic. There were many times where I felt like Arcane Wonders and the Mage Wars game and community would be much better off and much more engaging and active if they asked more fans to volunteer. I for one would have jumped at the chance to help write some official story material or help assist in designing official alternate variants for new battlegrounds sets if I was ever asked to, even if I wasn't being paid for it. And I doubt I was the only one to ever feel like this.

At this point I think that if Arcane Wonders wants their flagship game's online community to survive, they're basically depending on a few key fans. In particular the members of Arcane Duels. If sharkbait, coshade, and puddnhead stopped playing or even just got really busy for a long stretch of time at some point in the future, I suspect that the online mage wars community would largely disappear.

There are some offline playgroups that were built up enough that they're unlikely to disappear any time soon, such as the group in Charlotte, North Carolina. They probably will still be around and playing mage wars even after most everyone else stops playing.

The really sad thing is that mage wars is such a great game and has so much potential that in the hands of a bigger company it would most likely have been a much bigger success and would have almost certainly given collectable games like Magic or Warhammer a run for their money if not simply outshining them altogether.

I think that unless Arcane Wonders has a strategy for revitalizing their flagship game's community some time soon on their own, they should make some sort of deal with another company or perhaps even sell the game outright so they can focus more on their dice tower essentials line. They've bitten off more than they could chew and I think they should be honest with themselves and admit that. They should not let their love and attachment to mage wars make them succumb to sunk cost fallacy.

That being said, please take everything I've said here with a grain of salt. I've never run a business before and I don't have any expertise in the field. I'm just saying how things look to me as I see it with the limited understanding that I have. That being said, I am a die-hard fan of the game and I've been playing it since 2013, and if I am seeing things this way, there's a good chance that others have similar perspectives. That might even be why so many well known mage wars lovers in this community have left. Nobody wants to stick around on what they perceive to be a sinking ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
I've communicated to AW staff on a few occasions related to my work on spellbook builder. While Aaron was around it kind of felt like there is a chance AW will actually do something about MW, but he was let go in Dec 2016 and after that Toni took over. Communicating with Toni has been a total disaster and at some point I gave up. And it's not just Toni, I have a feeling that AW just doesn't give a s**t about MW and MW community.

Playtesters see things we don't so their perspective is different, but that is of little comfort to the rest of us.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »
I've communicated to AW staff on a few occasions related to my work on spellbook builder. While Aaron was around it kind of felt like there is a chance AW will actually do something about MW, but he was let go in Dec 2016 and after that Toni took over. Communicating with Toni has been a total disaster and at some point I gave up. And it's not just Toni, I have a feeling that AW just doesn't give a s**t about MW and MW community.

November 9th was the last time that he was online. So no, I doubt that he is the community liaison, he only looks like someone who is here & there, and probably prefers to work on the game instead of being on the community forums.

The first step might be to get someone who was as engaged as Aaron was; that would be an excellent start. Arcane Wonders needs to put in more effort, the fact that a lot of products other than Mage Wars are being released tells me that it's more than simply expanding their production line: they will soon bring this brand to a close.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
i think tony is the marketing person and if so it is definitely his job.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
This topic pops up about once a year and it always gets super dour and "hate on AW"ish. For real. Aaron was a wonderful guy but he obviously found something better and moved on. Tony is doing a job but literally half of aarons job was dealing with us. He was super industrious and went above and beyond a lot of the time. Now i cant really speak fot AW but the product is good. The game is fun. I play it often and constantly see new stuff, even with older cards. Just cuz you dont like the academy/arena interactions doesn't mean they arent viable expa sions to the game. I see the new warlord stuff about half the time i play. I know the forcemaster stuff is getting use too. I see firestream now more than i see flameblast. The new holy shit is all over Rhett place, who doesnt run cure? Or remove curse? Glancing blow? Sangine thirst? The game got bigger like 3 times this last year and all i hear is bitching! How many mages and expansions do you want in a year? 2? 4? Not to mention AW isnt that huge. Its not like this is fantasy flight or plaid hat for crying out loud. And as for the quiet forums? These are player generated forums! If you dont say things on them, nothing shows up! Arcane duels and keechjen work very hard on there own time to provide the online content we enjoy so much, Silverclawgrizzly and myself try to keep write ups on mages and cards around for folks to discuss, Sharkey does all the programming for octgn basically by himself (with help from puddnhead and possibly others) puddnhead logs on  evry Tuesday to play and record games with new ideas or fun concepts for us all to enjoy. Bottom line is there are folks doing the work, ans if you think something is lacking or .missing or just something you'd like to see that's not out there? MAKE IT YOURSELF! record that match with your best book! Post that new siren idea. Show us that fancy card interaction you came accross. Want a more active forum base? Be more active. I ask at the end of every "Card of the" episode if theres something you want to hear about. 2 people have asked me. 2. So at the end of the day they are all working for our entertainment and then about once a year folks show up here to throw the rotten tomatos of "AW sucks, this game is dying". Its a shame really.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
This topic pops up about once a year and it always gets super dour and "hate on AW"ish. For real. Aaron was a wonderful guy but he obviously found something better and moved on. Tony is doing a job but literally half of aarons job was dealing with us. He was super industrious and went above and beyond a lot of the time. Now i cant really speak fot AW but the product is good. The game is fun. I play it often and constantly see new stuff, even with older cards. Just cuz you dont like the academy/arena interactions doesn't mean they arent viable expa sions to the game. I see the new warlord stuff about half the time i play. I know the forcemaster stuff is getting use too. I see firestream now more than i see flameblast. The new holy shit is all over Rhett place, who doesnt run cure? Or remove curse? Glancing blow? Sangine thirst? The game got bigger like 3 times this last year and all i hear is bitching! How many mages and expansions do you want in a year? 2? 4? Not to mention AW isnt that huge. Its not like this is fantasy flight or plaid hat for crying out loud. And as for the quiet forums? These are player generated forums! If you dont say things on them, nothing shows up! Arcane duels and keechjen work very hard on there own time to provide the online content we enjoy so much, Silverclawgrizzly and myself try to keep write ups on mages and cards around for folks to discuss, Sharkey does all the programming for octgn basically by himself (with help from puddnhead and possibly others) puddnhead logs on  evry Tuesday to play and record games with new ideas or fun concepts for us all to enjoy. Bottom line is there are folks doing the work, ans if you think something is lacking or .missing or just something you'd like to see that's not out there? MAKE IT YOURSELF! record that match with your best book! Post that new siren idea. Show us that fancy card interaction you came accross. Want a more active forum base? Be more active. I ask at the end of every "Card of the" episode if theres something you want to hear about. 2 people have asked me. 2. So at the end of the day they are all working for our entertainment and then about once a year folks show up here to throw the rotten tomatos of "AW sucks, this game is dying". Its a shame really.

So then why do you think people ask this so often? Do you see it as a brand doing well when somebody has to ask every once in a while whether or not this brand & company is still alive and working on future projects?

This forum is to discuss the game, on ideas that can be positive and negative. Not every post has to be on a certain card or about a certain mage. If you are tired of seeing posts like this, maybe you could ask Arcane Wonders to help this conversation out, so we can understand what is going on in the development cycle.

If you think I am throwing rotten tomatoes and that I hate everything and everyone, then why isn’t the community alive and thriving? Does the state of this forum reassure you of what is to come for Mage Wars ?

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »
 The fact is, the folks i see doing the majority of the town fruit throwing are conspicuously absent from the meta... when they aren't complaining about the meta. I dont see them on octgn, contributing to discussions, on discord, on the octgn chat (when it worked), at the cons with tournaments or even here in the forums posting books, questions, advice, or theory. Its frustrating.

And yes i am quite pleased with the attention this game has and its aims for the future. I listed all the reasons why in the last post. I'm enjoying myself. That's really what it comes down to. I'm sorry sone folks arent but that's not AWs fault. Its theirs.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 09:33:33 PM »
Wow ok Eric it sure sounds like u are throwing something.   I am on board with Romeo here. 

Ok so I am all for constructive criticism and I do hear some valid points from viewpoints I don't necessarily agree with and that is ok.  But when I hear this game is dead it gets under my skin too.  I do not agree and think it is foolish to jump to conclusions or even make such grandiose statements.  We can agree to Disagree tho and you can believe what u want . 

This thread reminds me of my kiddos who just want more more more.   All have to say is some people can be grateful some do not.  I'm a positive person and will remain optimistic about the future of the game. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 01:54:18 AM »
From what I picked up, Aaron was let go, he didn't quit and that is something that makes me doubt how AW is handling MW.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 04:39:31 AM »

So then why do you think people ask this so often? Do you see it as a brand doing well when somebody has to ask every once in a while whether or not this brand & company is still alive and working on future projects?

This forum is to discuss the game, on ideas that can be positive and negative. Not every post has to be on a certain card or about a certain mage. If you are tired of seeing posts like this, maybe you could ask Arcane Wonders to help this conversation out, so we can understand what is going on in the development cycle.

If you think I am throwing rotten tomatoes and that I hate everything and everyone, then why isn’t the community alive and thriving? Does the state of this forum reassure you of what is to come for Mage Wars ?

threads like this pop up in the mtg forums aswell, so that's not an argument "magic is dying, attendance is low? etc"

if you want activity make it yourself, else jump into another game with community if you dont want to work for it,or another game with releases every month, or more

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
Most of us (including myself) are working for it, our complaints are that AW is not.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 06:15:03 AM »
rga.curkovic did amazing work with his Spellbook Builder. But arcane wonders should have done that themselves!
Pegasus has stopped translating Mage Wars into german.
Since Aaron left us, there is virtually no communication left.

Shows that a positive development? May be all that looks different for a Playtester.

I think we all agree, Mage Wars is such a good game it deserves much more.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:49 AM »
the thread started as "rare product releases" they do work for releases, they come and they are great.

i guess the subject changed now

it's a small company, better try to help out however you can