March 28, 2024, 02:06:27 PM

Author Topic: Can OCTGN work on a MacBook?  (Read 23616 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Can OCTGN work on a MacBook?
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
So as my windows compute just died, I'm planning to get a Macbook. Does anyone know is OCTGN is compatible with Macbooks?
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Can OCTGN work on a MacBook?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
It is not. You could instal a windows emulator on a mac, but I'm not sure you'll be willing to do that.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
It is not. You could instal a windows emulator on a mac, but I'm not sure you'll be willing to do that.
Oh no! Looks like no more OCTGN for a REALLY long time!
Well I guess at this point, I might as may say goodbye to mage wars. I don't think I will be able to get on for at least a year and a half.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:53:49 AM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
Well I guess at this point, I might as may say goodbye to mage wars. I don't think I will be able to get on for at least a year and a half.
Before you quit you can
1) buy the cheapest windows pc on eBay you can get and that should be enough fordirt octgn to run. That's the price of one arena expansion more or less.
2) install windows on mac. It's not that hard!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
Before you quit you can
1) buy the cheapest windows pc on eBay you can get and that should be enough fordirt octgn to run. That's the price of one arena expansion more or less.
2) install windows on mac. It's not that hard!
Well the computer needs to be a Mac for my new school.
The big question is: will windows/octgn run smoothly on a mac.
Thanks chef!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »
What kind of school makes you buy a mac??? I know that macs give a more smooth experience but apart from that I don't really see the advantage of a mac, especially looking at the huge price difference. As far as I know, almost all (non design) companies work with windows.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »
What kind of school makes you buy a mac??? I know that macs give a more smooth experience but apart from that I don't really see the advantage of a mac, especially looking at the huge price difference. As far as I know, almost all (non design) companies work with windows.
The school that I'm going to. :)
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »
Btw, my computer is giving me a white and black screen when I start it up. That's the issue.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
Btw, my computer is giving me a white and black screen when I start it up. That's the issue.

Is there no local library you can go to to play Mage Wars on their pcs? I used to see people playing video games on the local library's computers all the time back when I was in high school, and people still do that in college. And it's pretty easy and quick to download and install octgn, the Mage Wars module and the image packs once you know how. It only takes about a few min or so. Of course, I don't know if they had time limits for computer use there, some libraries do, I know the ones at my university don't have time limits for use.  I've actually become too dependent on my computer for everything worthwhile in my life and I've been spending way too much time cooped up in my apartment and not living my life outside it. And it's been interfering with my getting stuff done. So I recently decided to give my computer to a trusted friend for safe-keeping so that whenever I want to use a computer I will have to walk to the library to use one.

I made sure to email myself all of my spellbook files first though. :D

I forgot to email myself my save file for cave story though... :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:37:23 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »
Now is a good time to get your cardboard box of Mage Wars out and play games with people face to face.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »

Is there no local library you can go to to play Mage Wars on their pcs? I used to see people playing video games on the local library's computers all the time back when I was in high school, and people still do that in college. And it's pretty easy and quick to download and install octgn, the Mage Wars module and the image packs once you know how. It only takes about a few min or so. Of course, I don't know if they had time limits for computer use there, some libraries do, I know the ones at my university don't have time limits for use.  I've actually become too dependent on my computer for everything worthwhile in my life and I've been spending way too much time cooped up in my apartment and not living my life outside it. And it's been interfering with my getting stuff done. So I recently decided to give my computer to a trusted friend for safe-keeping so that whenever I want to use a computer I will have to walk to the library to use one.

My brother has a surface, but I don't want to "steal" his device so I can play Mage Wars. :)
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Now is a good time to get your cardboard box of Mage Wars out and play games with people face to face.
I don't have anyone to play with irl.  :)
The Phoenix shall rise.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
I've tried Windows emulators and other things to get OCTGN on a Mac. It's not easy nor do I think it's worth the time or money it takes to even get set up. Every 2-3 years, I'll get a PC Laptop on a clearance sale or Cyber Monday or something like that for a $100-$200 dollars and I'll use that for any mandatory PC programs like OCTGN. If you can save up, it's probably worth it, the Windows on a Mac isn't to me.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »

My brother has a surface, but I don't want to "steal" his device so I can play Mage Wars. :)

Is your local library within walking distance? Can your brother drive? If he can drive, then you should explain the situation to him, mention how long a game of Mage Wars takes to play, mention how important this is to you, then ask him if he's willing to drive you to the library some times so you can use the computers there. I bet that there's a chance that if he can drive but for some reason he cant drive you to the library, he might still be willing to let you use his computer as long as you're careful with it and don't eat or drink anything while using it and don't mess with any of his files. If he's not able to drive then have the same conversation with your parents instead. It's probably a good idea to ask them for advice about this anyways.

Am I correct in my assumption that if your PC hadn't broken you would just continue using that instead of getting a mac?

Does your school have a library with mac computers in it where you can work on assignments that require a mac?

Don't be so ready to give up on your hobbies if you aren't sure it's actually necessary to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:05:47 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

Is your local library within walking distance? Can your brother drive? If he can drive, then you should explain the situation to him, mention how long a game of Mage Wars takes to play, mention how important this is to you, then ask him if he's willing to drive you to the library some times so you can use the computers there. I bet that there's a chance that if he can drive but for some reason he cant drive you to the library, he might still be willing to let you use his computer as long as you're careful with it and don't eat or drink anything while using it and don't mess with any of his files. If he's not able to drive then have the same conversation with your parents instead. It's probably a good idea to ask them for advice about this anyways.

Am I correct in my assumption that if your Windows computer hadn't broken you would just continue using that instead of getting a mac?

Does your school have a library with mac computers in it where you can work on assignments that require a mac?

Don't be so ready to give up on your hobbies if you aren't sure it's actually necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mac is required for school so we were going to buy it regardless of if my windows computer broke.
The Phoenix shall rise.