March 28, 2024, 03:59:13 AM

Author Topic: What's the best way to explain pest trait to beginners?  (Read 6316 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What's the best way to explain pest trait to beginners?
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »
I've noticed that out of everything I have to explain when helping newer players learn the game, the one thing people consistently get confused about is the pest trait. Conceptually it feels very simple and intuitive, but when translating the concept of how this trait works into language it becomes kinda wordy and sounds more complicated than it actually is.

What is the best way to explain it? I feel like there's got to be a better way to do that.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best way to explain pest trait to beginners?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
"big" Hindering

"small" Pest not hindering etc

Hindering, Guarding, Defenses
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
such a small nuisance creature therefore more easilly ignored which means no hinder, guard stuff etc.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What's the best way to explain pest trait to beginners?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
such a small nuisance creature therefore more easilly ignored which means no hinder, guard stuff etc.

There is no movement in Academy so hindering is irrelevant here. Also, unlike in arena, in Academy guards can choose to keep their guard markers after being attacked by a pest if they do not counterstrike. Other than that the pest trait is same as Arena. Confusion comes from the two different functions of the trait, first when the pest is melee attacked while guarding and second when the pest is melee attacking a guard. New players seem to have a hard time keeping these two functions of the pest trait straight in their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
just continue pointing it during games with new players untilit sinks in.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »
Such a small nuisance that you can just ignore it. If it's guarding, you ignore it and attack something else. If it attacks you while you're guarding, you can ignore it and keep your guard. But if you're ignoring it, that means you don't counterattack it.