March 28, 2024, 05:46:09 PM

Author Topic: This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes  (Read 25663 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 03:31:50 AM »
Druids, Necros, Wizards are my best mages.

I think Priestess could easily be up there as well, but my Priestess build has been from slow to very slow so im not really using her atm.

Having fun playing Siren and and even Araxian Crown Warlock.

Still a noob with the War Mages/FM, and i dont play Adramelech Warlock and Priest because they are to weak*

Straywood Beastmaster is another old favorite - where im doing a lot worse than with all other mages.

I like Johktaris fast ability a lot, so im going to use her more. Going to hunt with that spear!

*in my hands

I tend not to like playing vs long game mages unless i have a spellbook prepared for that.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
My favorite mages are Forcemaster and Adramelech Warlock. Both have a unique style and both fit me well with their aggressive but still flexible play.

I have spent much time working with priest and johktari. I want to love them for their abilities and theme but I don't get them to work as proper as I want yet.

My least favorite mages are the turtles and tanks. Those mages with books that win over time. So these are mainly the dwarf and the priestess.
Also I don't like to play the siren, but can't tell why.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
Personally I love playing tanks, but only if the tank actually can win by actually killing the other mage.
The Phoenix shall rise.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
Favorite mage? It was the Wizard until it got a lot of hate from people who hated the Tower. That (not the changes to WT or anything, just the general feeling of hate) really killed my desire to play it.

I haven't played a lot of Mages, but of the ones I've played some... probably the Straywood Beastmaster. I can make a pretty straightforward plan without a ton of thinking about technical / timing / synergy things... just keep casting animals, and get ready to melee. (My brain hurts if I have to think too much.) Mine might not always be the best strategy, but I know it won't be the worst....

OK... my favorites, using another way of judging... either the Priestess or Wizard, since they both channel 10 to start and have an innate spell ability that provides options during the game.

Best mage? I tend to lose equally with all of them.

What mage do you least enjoy playing or paying against? Any that zot plays, since he's about the only one I've really played... and since he nearly always kills me. I guess if I really had a favorite Mage, I'd also have a least favorite, since it would be the one who does best against my favorite....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:31:01 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

ExcaliburTK

• Curator of the White Spires
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
My favorite mage is the Priest, it is the first mage i picked when i first started playing the game and since then i have never regretted it. between the holy avenger and light attack synergies there are a couple cool routes you can go with strategy and book building.

My best mage is a tie between Priest and Paladin, both of my best books i have worked on the most use what i would call unorthodox tactics, but that is just kinda how i like to play and it works for me.   

and there isn't really a mage i dislike playing against most. well maybe Adramelech because of the endless amount of times Shark has decimated me in the arena with it ;D 

Pritoos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
Nice thread!

My favorite at the moment is Siren. New, highly thematic, quite flexible and so attractive...

My best pick is still for wizard. He is still so comfortable! he is quite good at mana (channel 10 and gate), which is something you enjoy each and every turn. He holds all the good tricks you need to avoid stagnation. He got not-the-best-but-still-a-good variety of creatures, from the gremlin to the gorgon. And voltari shield is a so comfortable skill... I feel very confortable playing with him.

Not to play against... I have no pick. Each mage has his point, and I enjoyed to some extent every game to this day. But sometimes I felt frustrated against necro.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
Favorite mage? It was the Wizard until it got a lot of hate from people who hated the Tower. That (not the changes to WT or anything, just the general feeling of hate) really killed my desire to play it.

I haven't played a lot of Mages, but of the ones I've played some... probably the Straywood Beastmaster. I can make a pretty straightforward plan without a ton of thinking about technical / timing / synergy things... just keep casting animals, and get ready to melee. (My brain hurts if I have to think too much.) Mine might not always be the best strategy, but I know it won't be the worst....

OK... my favorites, using another way of judging... either the Priestess or Wizard, since they both channel 10 to start and have an innate spell ability that provides options during the game.

What mage do you least enjoy playing or paying against? Any that zot plays, since he's about the only one I've really played... and since he nearly always kills me. I guess if I really had a favorite Mage, I'd also have a least favorite, since it would be the one who does best against my favorite....

People hated the wizard because he was so powerful that he overcentralized the metagame. Everyone had to use a ton of spellbook points to deal with him leaving less leftover for everything else they needed to do.

The wizard didn't even play like a wizard back then, the optimal thing to do with him was to totally ignore his natural trickstery style and just overwhelm the enemy with sheer force. The wizard had more answers that could fit in his book than anyone else did, and he could generate mana and actions faster than everyone else and lock you down before you could do anything unless you devoted a ton of spell points to that one particular matchup. And no one ever played the wizard with air training. They always picked water fire or earth because those were more powerful.

On top of all these advantages, the wizard also had his tower which had spellbind at the time and he could still change the bound spell for free. This was effectively the same as raising his available spell points even more. He didn't need to include as many copies of his attack spells to make use of his tower, and he could include a lot more attack spells and he would never run out. He could easily have used 3-4 towers but he never needed to. 2 towers was always more than enough.

After the erratas the wizard is finally FINALLY fun to play and to play against. Most people probably don't hate him anymore. He's become one of my favorite mages ever since the errata. He's not the same as before. You should totally give the wizard another chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:28:34 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
I think my least favorite matchup is against necro simply because so many builds fail at least somewhat against him. And picking your poison is really difficult to.
Worst mage: I don't really know since I don't have enough games with a lot of the mages.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:11:15 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »
Favorite Mage:
My favorite Mage is the Druid. I consider her to be one of the strongest Mages since the vine tree opens up the board so fast for you and you can quickly gain board control and momentum. It also helps that the nature enchantments are pretty much core in all builds since they are pretty much always high value. That combined with cheap rust, dissolve etc just makes her a lot of fun to play. You can in one game play a more buffed up mage that swings at your opponents, with plant conjurations helping you to deal with anything from equipment to creatures. And in the next game, you can play full support with your druid. Just pumping out creatures and supporting them, and all that in one book, a book that doesn't have to sacrifice a whole lot to fit different playstyles.

Best Mage:
I generally consider the Druid to be one of the stronger ones, if you don't have a bad dice day, I feel the druid really very heavily on dice compared to some other mages. Other than the Druid, I feel that the Necromancer has to be one of the strongest ones if not the strongest. With the Paladin being a contender since that mix of holy and war is a very deadly combination, and can be very difficult for both the Necro and Druid to deal with.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:09:53 PM by Drefan »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
Octagon user: Drefan

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »
Favorite Mage:
My favorite Mage is the Druid. I consider her to be one of the strongest Mages since the vine tree opens up the board so fast for you and you can quickly gain board control and momentum. It also helps that the nature enchantments are pretty much core in all builds since they are pretty much always high value. That combined with cheap rust, dissolve etc just makes her a lot of fun to play. You can in one game play a more buffed up mage that swings at your opponents, with plant conjurations helping you to deal with anything from equipment to creatures. And in the next game, you can play full support with your druid. Just pumping out creatures and supporting them, and all that in one book, a book that doesn't have to sacrifice a whole lot to fit different playstyles.

Best Mage:
I generally consider the Druid to be one of the stronger ones, if you don't have a bad dice day, I feel the druid really very heavily on dice compared to some other mages. Other than the Druid, I feel that the Necromancer has to be one of the strongest ones if not the strongest. With the Paladin being a contender since that mix of holy and war is a very deadly combination, and can be very difficult for both the Necro and Druid to deal with.
+1
The Phoenix shall rise.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »

People hated the wizard because he was so powerful that he overcentralized the metagame. Everyone had to use a ton of spellbook points to deal with him leaving less leftover for everything else they needed to do.

The wizard didn't even play like a wizard back then, the optimal thing to do with him was to totally ignore his natural trickstery style and just overwhelm the enemy with sheer force. The wizard had more answers that could fit in his book than anyone else did, and he could generate mana and actions faster than everyone else and lock you down before you could do anything unless you devoted a ton of spell points to that one particular matchup. And no one ever played the wizard with air training. They always picked water fire or earth because those were more powerful.

On top of all these advantages, the wizard also had his tower which had spellbind at the time and he could still change the bound spell for free. This was effectively the same as raising his available spell points even more. He didn't need to include as many copies of his attack spells to make use of his tower, and he could include a lot more attack spells and he would never run out. He could easily have used 3-4 towers but he never needed to. 2 towers was always more than enough.

After the erratas the wizard is finally FINALLY fun to play and to play against. Most people probably don't hate him anymore. He's become one of my favorite mages ever since the errata. He's not the same as before. You should totally give the wizard another chance.

Yep I have to agree that I did not play wizard much before errata because I felt he was OP.  Now that the changes are made and more sets have came out to expand the meta the wizard is still strong but not annoyingly so.  Yea he still has some of the strongest starting abilities in the game but with cards like lesser teleport and arcane ward it has helped other schools and made it more even for the other mages. 

That said like sailor I'm playing him more and enjoy it a lot, Super fun. 

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »

Yep I have to agree that I did not play wizard much before errata because I felt he was OP.  Now that the changes are made and more sets have came out to expand the meta the wizard is still strong but not annoyingly so.  Yea he still has some of the strongest starting abilities in the game but with cards like lesser teleport and arcane ward it has helped other schools and made it more even for the other mages. 

That said like sailor I'm playing him more and enjoy it a lot, Super fun.
Well what happened was after the nerf, like almost everyone just dropped him. Other than Sailor and Jack, I don't think I've seen many wizards at all since the nerf.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
We have wizards in Charlotte. They're secondary books but they're good books none the less.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:51 PM »
Yeah, people still play them, just not really on OCTGN.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 01:42:58 AM »
the wizard is certainly played in indy. :D