March 28, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

Author Topic: This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes  (Read 25661 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
So we've gotten a bunch of new names around the forums lately, along with a couple new mages, and some awesome new cards. So my question folks, is what mage do you consider your favorite mage? And why? What mage do you consider your BEST mage (they aren't always the same, mine aren't)? How come? What mage do you least enjoy playing or paying against?

My favorite mage is the Malakai Priest. Thematically i really enjoy his story, when the church gets threatened, they send in the priests! How cool is that? Yeah he (according to the meta) might be under powered, but the tools he has in his kit are just plain fun. Burning shit with his holy pimp slap has got to be the funniest thing ever (at least to me) and having a built in ethereal attack is awesome, just ask the wizard. His outfit is pretty baller too in a purely esthetic note.

My best mage is the Druid. I've always believed that she just does nature better. Even with 2 trip schools she still kicks ass and if you're a tierer she ranks top in almost everyone's estimation. Superior board control and vine range casting, coupled with built in "Treegen" make her really tough to kill, and if you've got a solid plan of action its really tough to throw her off. A good druid makes you pay for your choices in a match, no matter what they are. Go for the tree and you're gonna pay for it in burst damage, go for the druid and ignore the tree, your going to pay for it by losing the attrition game as she heals generally 4 life per round. She's an absolute baller in every way.

My least favorite mage to play is the force master. She just doesn't suit my style. She was queen of the rush for awhile, but without solid creature support, which she generally can't afford, she's sort of forced into a buddy category, a solo mage, or a long game DoT strat. I've seen her taken apart too many times to have much faith in her.

Least favorite to play against used to be wizard. Since the errata I've seen maybe... 2? Nobody plays him anymore so the ratio has skewed. So it's prolly necromancer now. Zombies and resilient are kinda OP right now as there's no way to overcome it reliably. Its only gotten worse since chant of rage showed up.

Well that's me, what about you folks?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
For Arena:
- My best (win/loss record) is probably my Forcemaster.
- My favourites lately are Arraxian Crown Warlock (using Sectarus) and Zombie Necromancer.

For Domination:
- My best is probably Druid.
- My favourite is probably Skeleton Necromancer (also very strong) and Druid.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »
My favorite mage is my best mage. Straywood Beast Master, I believe him to be the superior nature mage. His versatility and ability to adapt to any situation honestly makes him the resilient work horse of Mage Wars. I love animals in real life and enjoy rangers in DnD so he's an easy pick for me. I've fought a lot of battles with my Beast Master and even the ones I've lost have left my opponents knowing they were in a fight. While I've no desire (Or willingness) to play the paper/rock/scissors game of "What do you do if...." I will say for the observant player there is very little a solid Straywood book can't handle.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
So we've gotten a bunch of new names around the forums lately, along with a couple new mages, and some awesome new cards. So my question folks, is what mage do you consider your favorite mage? And why? What mage do you consider your BEST mage (they aren't always the same, mine aren't)? How come? What mage do you least enjoy playing or paying against?

My favorite mage is the Malakai Priest. Thematically i really enjoy his story, when the church gets threatened, they send in the priests! How cool is that? Yeah he (according to the meta) might be under powered, but the tools he has in his kit are just plain fun. Burning #### with his holy pimp slap has got to be the funniest thing ever (at least to me) and having a built in ethereal attack is awesome, just ask the wizard. His outfit is pretty baller too in a purely esthetic note.

My best mage is the Druid. I've always believed that she just does nature better. Even with 2 trip schools she still kicks ### and if you're a tierer she ranks top in almost everyone's estimation. Superior board control and vine range casting, coupled with built in "Treegen" make her really tough to kill, and if you've got a solid plan of action its really tough to throw her off. A good druid makes you pay for your choices in a match, no matter what they are. Go for the tree and you're gonna pay for it in burst damage, go for the druid and ignore the tree, your going to pay for it by losing the attrition game as she heals generally 4 life per round. She's an absolute baller in every way.

My least favorite mage to play is the force master. She just doesn't suit my style. She was queen of the rush for awhile, but without solid creature support, which she generally can't afford, she's sort of forced into a buddy category, a solo mage, or a long game DoT strat. I've seen her taken apart too many times to have much faith in her.

Least favorite to play against used to be wizard. Since the errata I've seen maybe... 2? Nobody plays him anymore so the ratio has skewed. So it's prolly necromancer now. Zombies and resilient are kinda OP right now as there's no way to overcome it reliably. Its only gotten worse since chant of rage showed up.

Well that's me, what about you folks?
Favorite mage: Paladin. He is super flexible and war and holy is great training!
Best Mage: Paladin. This is likely due to the fact that I've played him almost exclusively for the last month and a half or so.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
For me, I love playing wizards. Same for d&d. Do not like going against necro.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
This might be interesting. A poll dudes and dudettes
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Forcemaster is my best Mage and also my favorite to play. Lorewise I'm not sure of though.

To be honest I've always been confused about what sets the mind school and the arcane school apart from each other in story. Why are the wizards the only ones actually systematically investigating the mysteries of magic when Forcemasters are the ones with super powered minds? Shouldn't forcemasters automatically have an advantage over wizards when it comes to magical research?

My head-canon explanation is that science isn't just a wizard thing, that a lot of the mages can do scientific research on the kind of magic they specialize in, and that the wizards are just the ones that study their universe's equivalent to physics.

And yet we haven't seen any sciency type characters in story who were not trained in arcane. For instance, I want to see beastmasters doing their own zooology work, not just amadseer the arcane trained wizard doing their area of expertise for them.

If my head canon were actual canon, I would say the forcemaster was my favorite Mage in every way. But it seems like the wizards are the only ones who actually are curious enough to do science on anything. But the wizards also seem a little like straw vulcans in some respects. So I'm not quite sure how to feel about them. It's almost like the forcemasters are smart AND wise philosophers and the wizards are smart but foolish scientists. When all the scientists in your fantasy world are less wise than everybody else on average,  and there's a class of super smart and wise people who don't do science at all and they are so smart that they have psychic powers...

So like I said, I'm not sure how to feel about the wizard and forcemaster. If not for these issues they would easily be my top 2 favorites.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:54:13 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
Favorite mage - Necromancer. I have always liked the idea of necromancers in other games and have always played them when available, d&d, skyrim, mage wars, any other adventure game. Thematically it intrigues me and just from liking dark mages I have a bias for the only pure dark mage atm.

Best mage - Necromancer. I have been playing for just over 2 years? and I have devoted about 85-90% of my mage wars time to this mage alone so he is my best mage.

Mage I despise playing against - priestess. She just goes against anything and everything a necromancer wants to do. She heals everything when you try to give it finite life, she has a built in ability to remove conditions, and the holy school just got even better with pvs.
I use to despise playing against forcemasters because I saw a lot of mind control which is another reason I shifted to the necromancer :)
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »
@sv

I think it may help to view force master as a psionic/jedi (more jedi than monk) rather than arcane mystical. Casting spells in rpg has been mostly province of wizards, warlocks/sorcerers, clerics, necros, and druids. The force master is outside of that arcane/divine caster circle thematics. That is how I consider it.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
@sv

I think it may help to view force master as a psionic/jedi (more jedi than monk) rather than arcane mystical. Casting spells in rpg has been mostly province of wizards, warlocks/sorcerers, clerics, necros, and druids. The force master is outside of that arcane/divine caster circle thematics. That is how I consider it.

Well yes, but I don't understand why that means the wizard must be the Mage of SCIENCE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »
@sv yeah Wizard is kind of like a mad scientist with voltari imo. Forcemaster draws her power from a different source altogether
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 03:13:22 AM »
My favorite is still the Malakai Priest, and that's possibly the one I'm strongest with. Although I might be better with the Straywood Beastmaster.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »
My favorite is slowly starting to be dark mages in general.  I'm really digging the Necromancer and Adramalech Warlock and getting a lot of new builds and ideas through the dark magic.  Not sure which one will come out on top. 

My strongest Mage right now is still probably the Straywood.  I have won many games with him and feel the likely reason is the deepness of the school and being flexible with his play style. 

My least favorite Mage to play as is bloodwave warlord.  Just have not played well with him and his abilities feel the least awesome.  That being said I will get the warlord to work and try and play well with him one day.  I will not give up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:04:00 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
I am really liking the orc warlord. I have been really happy with mine of late. I forgot to mention least favorite mage to play. I think jaktari.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »
I am really liking the orc warlord. I have been really happy with mine of late. I forgot to mention least favorite mage to play. I think jaktari.
What makes you like him?
Have you figured him out! ;)
The Phoenix shall rise.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Coshade, how you gonna comment and not give us your picks? Come ahhhn!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!