April 23, 2024, 02:22:42 PM

Author Topic: Sunfire Amulet + Siren?  (Read 10631 times)

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sunfire Amulet + Siren?
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
Would the Sunfire Amulet be good with the Siren —having 30 life— in a regular game of Mage Wars or is it not worth the action?

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfire Amulet + Siren?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:25:26 AM »
its real value is purely determined by how early you play it, and how long you can keep it. yes it is worth it. but play it very early, turn one or two. it really shines in a game that goes long.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:26:13 AM »
Sunfire Amulet is an awesome and underplayed card. I have seen this card played first turn and generate an insane amount of life. If played early enough, put enough pressure on your opponent that he has bigger issues to deal with, and push him to prioritise those over this card; you can loop the status board.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
An early Sunfire Amulet in a vacuum is superb. What keeps it honest is that the same books wanting to play a long game are the same ones that want those first few actions playing economy even more. In a nutshell it's a great choice for some builds, but economy is often even better.

I have a couple of books that use it well, and it can be a big deal, but be aware of the opportunity cost of not doing something else.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Sunfire Amulet + Siren?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »
Good for tanking. Deploy it from Forge, or have cassiel cast it.

It does have healing subtype right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Parkdeck

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • time zone: utc +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:56 AM »
Cassiel would complain about having to work for a non-holy mage..

Fabledforcemage

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »
I love the sunglow amulet with the siren it helps alot with being paired with the guard angel with forge

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
A curse item on a Sunfire Amulet would be hilarious.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
It's a dissolve with range 2.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
It's really not. They don't serve the same purpose.
Dissolve removes the equipment.
Curse item's job to make all their decisions bad. Let it stick and they take dmg, If they have regen, this counters it. If they dispel it, that's one less dispel to worry about.
The Phoenix shall rise.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
Sunfire amulet is a nice target for curse item. Especially since it is range 2 and if youre a dark mage you can still use it with the cloak on and stay obscured.

On the original topic, though. Sunfire with a siren sounds good. Even if its out for just a few turns, you have them use a dissolve and you may survive another attack or 2. I wouldnt worry about curse item as a siren. You stand in a shallow sea and regen 1 anyways. You could dispel it, or just stay in a sea and extend healing madrigal and heal your mage and a few friendlies at the same time.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »

Fact lore true

1. This card puts the following mana cost on life:

#upkeeps in play / Mana per life gained.
1 / 6
2 / 3
3 / 2
4 / 1.5
5 / 1.2
6 / 1

2. The following cards have the following mana cost per life gained:

Bull Endurance - 1.25
Drain Soul - 2.6
Elfric's Life Ring - 1
Etherian Life Tree - 3.5
Gator Toughness - 2
Iguana Regrowth - 4 (mage is lvl 6)
Restore - 2

So this card makes your opponent make the bad choice and not you, even with Curse Item. I will expalin this more in a second. After 2 turns in play this card trumps Iguana Regrowth and Etherian life for mana cost per life gained (and gives the same amount of life). After 3 turns in play this card trumps everything else other than Elfric's Life Ring, which it trumps at the Turn 6 mark as it has generated more life at this point. The longer it is in play the harder the decision for the opposing mage not the mage with this card. They are effectively damned if they do and damned if they do not.

Cursed Item is an interesting counter but not as effective as it would first seem. Again the longer it is out the easier it is to elect to destroy, as at the 3rd upkeep phase it can die and still be 87.5% more mana effective than any other life gaining method. Also would I take 6 damage to gain 6 life. A possibility this interaction brings up. If I am on a high life level (6 damage is a life level) then yes I will take that. I can either regen over time or burst heal that away (Yes a single heal goes in every book) and I am left with 6 life ahead.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »
I think Beldin is making some very good points but neglects 3 downsides:

The first is the high spellbookcost for most mages. 

Secondly, unlike all the other cards (Bull, ...) Sunfire amulet has to be played during the first 1-3 rounds or maybe at the latest turn 4/5. If played later, you probably won't get much use out of it. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the vast majority of the games tend to take 8-13 rounds.
This means that you have to play it during your opening where every spell you cast is mostly key for your gameplan. Setting aside 6 mana and a quick cast so early in the game is a big investment since that could also be used to cast a bigger buddy, an armor, a battle forge or anything else to help your main assault.

Thirdly, it can be countered by finite life as well which is mostly not the case for the other examples since they work immediately. (assuming you did not have a FD poisoned blood on your mage)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:33:57 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »
Bull Endurance - 1.25
Drain Soul - 2.6
Elfric's Life Ring - 1
Etherian Life Tree - 3.5
Gator Toughness - 2
Iguana Regrowth - 4 (mage is lvl 6)
Restore - 2

It's the right sort of analysis, and whilst it's technically like for like; being life gain, I think the closer comparison is to Regenerate (with the corollary that you can't heal until you have taken damage).

I think it's more like a Regenerate: 1 that doesn't have the damage prerequisite. Being able to do without damage is certainly twice as powerful, and if use Regrowth and Regrowth Belt as our benchmarks then they cost 2.5 and 3 per point, whilst Sunfire is 6 per point, so it's about what we'd expect, but heavy on SBP.

The thing with the life gain cards, is that they are useful on creatures giving them a whole lot more lifespan, very few of those are commonly used on a mage.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
I hadn't considered Regenerate cards within this and looked at straight life:life benchmarks. I do concede that it is a high SBP option, however as I keep stating if it is the correct tool for the job in that build then it is worth those points.