April 29, 2024, 02:09:47 AM

Author Topic: Spawnpoint mages vs non Spawnpoint Mages  (Read 12525 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Spawnpoint mages vs non Spawnpoint Mages
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
So from what I have gathered, spawnpoint mages are a big advantage vs non spawnpoint mages. This is due to the fact that the non spawnpoint mage has to be aggressive in order to make up for the lack of actions.
Typical mages that go non creature spawnpoint:
Both Warlocks
Anvil Throne Warlord
Forcemaster (will not cover her bc mind's eye can make up for the lack of actions in a lot of situations)
Sometimes JBM (but usually that is rushmaster so will not cover her)
Palladin
So looking at these mages let's see why they want to go solo/buddy
Warlocks: Pentagram is really bad. Female Warlock wants to be shooting people with fireballs and male wants to be punching things.
AT Warlord: Barracks does not synch as well with his abilities as forge and few buddies does.
Pally: He is odd bc banner is kind of a spawnpoint, but really tricky to use right. You use it right away, you blow all your mana. Use it later and you don't put as much pressure on.
Temple with him is pretty good, but if priestess can essentially do it better, why go temple at all?
So what can all these non spawnpoint mages do to counter spawnpoints?
Warlord: Use ballista and spells to destroy the point. Akiro's hammer is not half bad as well.
Warlocks: Male uses 2-3 HUGE buddies to wreck the mage/ spawnpoint and female can just burn the thing down. 8 dice fireballs with rerroll is nothing to laugh at.
Pally: I suppose ballista/ cid ball and force hammer/ boulder could work well, but I need to test it some more.
Of all of these mages I think Anvil Throne is the hardest to do with no spawnpoint bc his abilites do not have any offensive power. Warlocks and Pally have abilities that let them "punch through" the defense. Anvil Throne does not.
Warlocks are a lot easier bc they can do so much dmg they don't need a spawnpoint as much.
Now Pally is a bit different. A timing push around Turn 4 could work pretty well. Get bigs in the spawnpoint zone, put concentrated ground in there, and WRECK FACE!.
@sharkbait: Thought you should now a certain somebody on these forums believes your warlock has a 10% win chance against an equually skilled spawnpoint mage. He speaks from "personal experience." Your thoughts on this?
Person who said this, I have no wish to cause tension, but I do think shark should be allowed to explain his point of view as well
Your thoughts are welcome!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Spawnpoint mages vs non Spawnpoint Mages
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »
10% of the time, it wins everytime  8)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »
10% of the time, it wins everytime  8)
I don't agree with the person that said that at all. More like 50% vs you at least? What does Shark have to do vs you to win and vice versa?
The Phoenix shall rise.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
Not speaking for shark but he rarely actually plays his best in non tournament games. He is usually experimenting with some curse or creature thing to get new strategies. 10% seems like a very specific number for some reason has been calculated
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 02:56:58 PM »
Not speaking for shark but he rarely actually plays his best in non tournament games. He is usually experimenting with some curse or creature thing to get new strategies. 10% seems like a very specific number for some reason has been calculated
10% is what the unamed person thinks about it. I don't think he actually has much experience fighting it.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Why go temple with paladin and not priestess? Because if you go really long game and get the aura's active, you can make a holy level 1-3 swarm absurdly strong. Meanwhile your paladin can charge in and fight. It's "only" a 10 mana investment.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
Why go temple with paladin and not priestess? Because if you go really long game and get the aura's active, you can make a holy level 1-3 swarm absurdly strong. Meanwhile your paladin can charge in and fight. It's "only" a 10 mana investment.
The problem is the auras only work if your creatures are in your zone. At least the ones that buff them.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
ב"ה
Straywood beastmasters also occasionally don't use spawnpoints, beacause they want the mana to put pressure early with the creatures the summon as a quick action (and maybe one big creature for a full action).
Priests also some times just bring 2 creatures (a defender and an avenger, one to guard with and the other to avenge the creatures that attacked the one guarding), and rush on to use his holy fire as much as possible.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »
ב"ה
Straywood beastmasters also occasionally don't use spawnpoints, beacause they want the mana to put pressure early with the creatures the summon as a quick action (and maybe one big creature for a full action).
Priests also some times just bring 2 creatures (a defender and an avenger, one to guard with and the other to avenge the creatures that attacked the one guarding), and rush on to use his holy fire as much as possible.
Very true!
But I am mainly talking about mages that primarily do not use creature spawnpoints.
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:52:30 PM »
I think the only Mages that I've never tried without a Spawnpoint are Druid ('cause Treebond->Vine Tree), Necromancer ('cause both are amazing, and I always swarm with him; the tough decision is which Spawnpoint to go with), Anvil Throne Warlord and Forcemaster ('cause [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] is the most versatile Spawnpoint in the game, and I have yet to try a pure "caster" Forcemaster using several Mind's Eyes). Actually, I can't remember if I've ever played Priestess without Temple of Asyra... but that's mainly because I rarely play Priestess. I've definitely tried Gate to Voltari (Mana Worm swarm), Pentagram (mainly in Domination, but at least once in Arena), Barracks (both Arena and Domination), Lair (duh), etc.

I've tried all 3 of the Paladin's Spawnpoint options and haven't decided which is best. Probably Battle Forge, but then he plays a lot like Anvil Throne Warlord, and I don't like having so many books that all play the same way.

The only Mage I've never played with a Spawnpoint is Siren, as I find Echo of the Depths really pricey and generally prefer Naiya (who is a Familiar, not a Spawnpoint). I guess it isn't terrible, but it has a difficult time getting +1 Channeling (which is Pentagram's problem) and is easily destroyed (e.g. it just takes a Dissolve or Crumble, and unlike Libro, it doesn't have a Cantrip-like ability)... although it does have something analogous to Enchanter's Wardstone (or Armor Ward) going for it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:57:06 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
I think the only Mages that I've never tried without a Spawnpoint are Druid ('cause Treebond->Vine Tree), Necromancer ('cause both are amazing, and I always swarm with him; the tough decision is which Spawnpoint to go with), Anvil Throne Warlord and Forcemaster ('cause [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] is the most versatile Spawnpoint in the game, and I have yet to try a pure "caster" Forcemaster using several Mind's Eyes). Actually, I can't remember if I've ever played Priestess without Temple of Asyra... but that's mainly because I rarely play Priestess. I've definitely tried Gate to Voltari (Mana Worm swarm), Pentagram (mainly in Domination, but at least once in Arena), Barracks (both Arena and Domination), Lair (duh), etc.

I've tried all 3 of the Paladin's Spawnpoint options and haven't decided which is best. Probably Battle Forge, but then he plays a lot like Anvil Throne Warlord, and I don't like having so many books that all play the same way.

The only Mage I've never played with a Spawnpoint is Siren, as I find Echo of the Depths really pricey and generally prefer Naiya (who is a Familiar, not a Spawnpoint).
Interesting!
I'll plug my opinion in here about banner and temple/ openings in general
Most Paladin openings seem mana and/or action starved. In fact siren seems like that as well.
Even the cheaper ones still require a lot of mana spending on Turns 2-3 and don't give you much defensive or immediate offensive options.
Banner is weird. You can cast it as a "come to me and destroy it or I will get crazy value later in the game," but most pallies that don't use temple want to win in the 6-12 round range.
I also noticed that with pally unless you go Temple, you will want to go all out aggressive bc if you don't you will just generally get overrun in the late game or super defensive bc you get rushed. Not much middle ground.
It's hard to know when to cast the creatures with banner vs hardcast especially.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
@sharkbait: Thought you should now a certain somebody on these forums believes your warlock has a 10% win chance against an equually skilled spawnpoint mage. He speaks from "personal experience." Your thoughts on this?
Person who said this, I have no wish to cause tension, but I do think shark should be allowed to explain his point of view as well

I love to cause tension!

@sharkbait:  I totally said that. Maybe not to RedDD but I know I've said that before; Although, now that I type that, I am thinking it might be closer to 5%  :D

#DoubleDragon

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »

I love to cause tension!

@sharkbait:  I totally said that. Maybe not to RedDD but I know I've said that before; Although, now that I type that, I am thinking it might be closer to 5%  :D

#DoubleDragon

I knew where the shade was coming from without asking  ;). Not my fault you play the wrong warlock  8)

#DoubleDragon
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »

Since I am the person who said "this", I obviously need to add some context.
First we were talking about the Paladin and my statement was, that in 9 out of 10 cases a mage with a spawnpoint has a (huge) advantage against a mage without a spawnpoint.
In that case, spawnpoint = everything that generates actions, so I include familiars as well in that statement.

Secondly: you then came up with the argument that this is not true because sharkbait always wins with his warlock - even against priests who play with a spawnpoint. He just burns them away.

My reaction to that is: The holy school has the perfect counter against fire-warlocks. Guardian Angels. They are just brutal and you can't find a better creature to guard your temple. Every turn the spawnpoint-mage survives increases his advantage on the field. He just needs to summon 2 Guardian Angels and the game is literally won already.

And it had nothing to do with Sharks individual play-skill. If he really wins so many matches without a spawnpoint against mages who uses spawnpoints, if anything that makes it even more impressive because from my point of view he is at a disadvantage the moment the battle starts.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

Since I am the person who said "this", I obviously need to add some context.
First we were talking about the Paladin and my statement was, that in 9 out of 10 cases a mage with a spawnpoint has a (huge) advantage against a mage without a spawnpoint.
In that case, spawnpoint = everything that generates actions, so I include familiars as well in that statement.

Secondly: you then came up with the argument that this is not true because sharkbait always wins with his warlock - even against priests who play with a spawnpoint. He just burns them away.

My reaction to that is: The holy school has the perfect counter against fire-warlocks. Guardian Angels. They are just brutal and you can't find a better creature to guard your temple. Every turn the spawnpoint-mage survives increases his advantage on the field. He just needs to summon 2 Guardian Angels and the game is literally won already.

And it had nothing to do with Sharks individual play-skill. If he really wins so many matches without a spawnpoint against mages who uses spawnpoints, if anything that makes it even more impressive because from my point of view he is at a disadvantage the moment the battle starts.
I did not mean to get Shark angry at you. I wanted him to be able to explain his point of view. Sorry if I offended anyone.
The Phoenix shall rise.