March 28, 2024, 07:44:36 AM

Author Topic: 1st Edition help  (Read 2991 times)

LordFrost

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
1st Edition help
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:57:44 AM »
Hello everyone, its been a long while since i have been active here.
My kids and I are going to start playing Mage Wars 1st edition (I have two copies of the original base set)
 but since i bought those a lot of changes have taken place with the 2nd edition or reprinting of Mage Wars ...now Mage Wars : Arena   and the addition of Mage Wars Academy.

Because I own 2 of the original base set I don't think I am inclined to buy into Academy , But  I wanted to know if there have been any changes to the rules and or mechanics to the original game that makes it essential to get the newer Arena version of the game?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LordFrost

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Edition help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
Core set Arena rocks!

I wouldnt buy anything else for starters.

If you and your kids get into the game and if you start playing vs others you might want to buy some more MW stuff.

The only thing i would advice against is Spell Tome I and II - nothing new and i think your better of buyung an extra core set (as you already did)

Theres a lot of expansions - all of them good - main reason to buy them are to try new mages, new creatures, new cards and tactics. No need at all in your current situation.

Academy is a much shorter game without any movement. Very different from Arena.

Main difference is from 1 and 2 edition is some of the cards got an errata.
Battle Fury (only Melee bonuses on first attack)
Hand of Bim-Shalla (only 1 in play for each player at a time)
Tempel of Light (you have to pay mana for extra dice)

There should be errata cards and info around here.

Box is smaller and the Arena playing map is foldable - which makes transportation easier, but are not as good as the old ones. (zone borders hard to tell apart/sliding the cards becomes harder)

You could try out the playing mats - they are amazing :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:47:35 AM by Biblofilter »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

arxiducs

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
With kids depends greatly on their age, but arena and academy both worked just fine at home. Mine is now 9 y.o. but been playing since 6.
A softer version tends to suit our schedules better. Not because he does not like arena (loves it), but because time in real life tends to be limited to play like this together. Academy is quicker and easier to bring to the table. Lately we play mostly academy for this reason. He seems to enjoy exactly the same without so many mechanics and without movement.
My advice would be to tray both modes of play. No need to buy anything. Just download the rules for academy, pick the low level creatures (and the scary ones, depending on the age) from the core set and enjoy!
Arx

LordFrost

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »
Thanks for all your input, I think your right i have enough to just get back into playing and if I want a shorter game like academy I can just down load the rule set.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »
The latest edition of Arena has an updated rulebook you should download. It clarifies some areas of the rules most notably the Movement action now has defined steps and terminology around revealing Enchantments was updated.

Welcome back to the Arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:07:13 AM »
The latest edition of Arena has an updated rulebook you should download. It clarifies some areas of the rules most notably the Movement action now has defined steps and terminology around revealing Enchantments was updated.

Welcome back to the Arena.

I echo this.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
1st Edition help
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Would like to point out in case it wasn't clear that the original Mage Wars was rebranded as Mage Wars Arena. Arena is not a separate game.

Also Academy is shorter game length so if you feel like playing Mage Wars but don't have time for an Arena game then Academy is very good. Academy also is easier to learn and easier to teach to new players than Arena. Academy isn't exactly Arena-junior though, so don't expect tactics that work in Arena to always work the same way in Academy or vice versa.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:18:01 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.