April 28, 2024, 02:23:40 PM

Author Topic: Sectarus Necromancer?  (Read 3030 times)

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sectarus Necromancer?
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
Good idea or not to play Sectarus Necromancer?
Warlock
- Curse Weaving (Saves Spellbook Points)
- Blood Demon
- High HP
- Melee + 1
Necromancer
- 10 Channeling
- Poison Immune
- Plague Master Poison Conditions (What's an easy way to apply a poison condition again?)
- Eternal Servant
- Libro Mortuos?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Sectarus Necromancer?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:28 PM »
Personally I've stayed away from Sectarus, but the curses are super useful if you are looking to be an aggressive style of play with the Necromancer. In my experience you have to change how a traditional Necromancer plays to do this effectively (but it can be done).

The big question is Deathshroud staff vs Sectarus. Deathshroud naturally combos with his Plaguemaster ability better. Sectarus is generally better for gaining more actions (which for a 10 channel mage is nice). Both seem fun ways to play
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
I will say at this point that Sectarus + Rise Again reads as a very economical counter to swarm play.

Also thank you, pondering on this has made another of my books stronger. I find at times by thinking on one problem then the solution to another will present itself.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
I will say at this point that Sectarus + Rise Again reads as a very economical counter to swarm play.
I'd just like to point out that Sectarus can cast its curse only after damage has been dealt.
So, if the creature was killed it's too late to cast Rise Again.
If the creature is not killed you can cast Rise Again but I would say that you cast it too soon at that point as it will very likely be Seeking Dispelled once your opponent has an idea what you're up to.

So Rise Again does not really fit on Sectarus, imo
Better to QC Rise Again from your hand right before you finish the creature off.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:01:38 PM »
I'd just like to point out that Sectarus can cast its curse only after damage has been dealt.
So, if the creature was killed it's too late to cast Rise Again.
If the creature is not killed you can cast Rise Again but I would say that you cast it too soon at that point as it will very likely be Seeking Dispelled once your opponent has an idea what you're up to.

So Rise Again does not really fit on Sectarus, imo
Better to QC Rise Again from your hand right before you finish the creature off.

Depends. If you think you might kill the creature with Sectarus, then you can QC it first before attacking. But if you have several friendies (e.g. zombies or skellies popping out of Libro), then you could use Sectarus to stick the Rise Again, then let your friends finish the creature before the end of the round. Of course, if that's your plan you could just use Ziggurat with a zombie swarm instead.

Anyway, I've had a lot of success with Sectarus on an Araxxian Crown Warlock. More life, hits harder (Battle Skill), has Curseweaving (pseudo-Cantrip on 1 curse per kill), and gets a cheaper Battle Forge (since he's basically a melee mage + a Blood Reaper buddy).

You could also try it on Adramelech Warlock with Demonhide Mask (to get a pseudo-Vampirism via Demonic Reward) and a buddy that deals Flame damage; e.g. [mwcard=MW1C01] Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1C16] Flaming Hellion[/mwcard] or something. Sectarus won't directly benefit from Smoldering Curses, but will at least empower your Flaming buddy, who in turn helps your Demonic Reward (or you can just use [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05] Ignite[/mwcard]). But I personally prefer the AC Warlock's Curseweaving and Battle Skill.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster