April 28, 2024, 09:17:44 AM

Author Topic: Beast Transmutations  (Read 11837 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Beast Transmutations
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
I would love my beastmasters to go beast mode!  literally...  8)
 I think shapeshifting is probably a nicer addition to the beastmasters rather than the main weapon of a new mage. I also think that we currently have enough nature mages. So here are the idea's:

I don't know if gaining these subtypes break any eggs. (I don't think so currently)
The amazing power of these cards is compansated by the upkeep +2. (I think)

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:59:54 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Beast Transmutations
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
I love the idea Halewijn! It's a bit like demon mask for warlock but much more effective.
I guess werewolf transmutation and animal kinship would be a weird interaction. You would gain the melee +1 bonus for yourself. Anything else seems fine the first moment. Redclaw makes you strong :)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
I took animal kinship, tooth and claw, rajahs fury, wounded prey, redclaw, etc... Into considerations. Its very good, but upkeep 2 is also expensive. I think its more or less balanced.

Although, maybe the reveal cost should be 2 for both cards...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:18:53 PM by Halewijn »

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
I guess pricing is ok, but to get a bonus for yourself seemed funny :)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
For Werecat, instead of Charge +2, how about Piercing +2? Piercing is more of a cat trait than Charge - aside from the Feral Bobcat and Pharaoh's Cheetah. Save the Charge +2 bonus for Weregoat! ;D (along with +2 vs. corporeal conjurations?)

Or swap Elusiveness for Piercing +2, and that way Animal Kinship will give you Elusive similar to how it gives Melee +1 to the Werewolf. (Although multiple Kinships stack to give the Werewolf Melee +X, whereas Elusiveness will be either on or off, regardless of the number of Kinships you put in play)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »
For Werewolf, maybe keep the Melee +2 but drop the Armor +2 from Werewolf and instead give him "your quick attacks gain d12: 8+ = Bleed."

Then give Werelizard Armor +2 and "your quick attacks gain d12: 8+ = Rot."

Of course, Wererodent needs a defense (maybe infinite use, d12: 9+, which can still benefit from [mwcard=FWQ02]Defense Ring[/mwcard]), Elusiveness and Pest.

Werebird: "When you are activated, you may pay 2 mana to gain the Flying and Fast traits until the end of your activation phase."

Wereunicorn: Charge +2, and friendly living creatures in your zone gain the Regenerate 1 trait.

Werelephant: Gain innate life +8 and a Trample attack (4 dice?).

Werebear: Gain Tough -2, Armor +1 and a full action 4-dice attack with Doublestrike.

Wereape: Gain Rage +3 and Climbing. (or something else so you still get a gift from Kinship)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:45:28 PM by iNano78 »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
For Werecat, instead of Charge +2, how about Piercing +2? Piercing is more of a cat trait than Charge - aside from the Feral Bobcat and Pharaoh's Cheetah. Save the Charge +2 bonus for Weregoat! ;D (along with +2 vs. corporeal conjurations?)

Or swap Elusiveness for Piercing +2, and that way Animal Kinship will give you Elusive similar to how it gives Melee +1 to the Werewolf. (Although multiple Kinships stack to give the Werewolf Melee +X, whereas Elusiveness will be either on or off, regardless of the number of Kinships you put in play)

Precedent on inherent animal traits are confusing. Lion savagery grants charge and piercing, cheetah speed grants fast, elusive is laregly represented by the cats, mongoose agility grants elusive, there are a couple charging cats, cats typically have a dodge, Makunda grants piercing, but so does wolf's fury.

I honestly say pick a trait with some justification and run with it.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
.... want....... more........but ... too awesome..... dying..... XD

Raiko

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »
Awesome card arts! These are altogether awesome ideas/cards/abilities! Would love a shifter focused Mage.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:05:56 AM »

Just as Jason mentioned, the cat abilities are very broad. Defences are not aggressive enough and cost way to much to balance this card. The Johktari has innate fast so that was not a good option either and elusive combo's very nice with innate fast of Johktari and charge +X. That's why I picked these, although piercing was very high in the running. I also don't want to change this card for Animal kinship combo's since it's not a popular card anyway. I don't think there is a possibility/need for more than these 2 transfusions since they could probably only be released in an other mages set or Mordok's Tome V2 or something like that. The werelizard could be nice though.   :)

Currently I think the wolf is a little stronger than the cat so these are my idea's for tweaking:
Option A:
Wolf: melee +1 & armor +1. Whenever there is at least 1 other canine creature in your zone, you gain an additional melee +1 and armor +1. (wolf pack theme)
Cat: remains the same

Option B, raising reveal cost to 2:
Wolf: melee +1 & armor +1. Whenever there is at least 1 other canine creature in your zone, you gain an additional melee +1, armor +1 and his melee attacks gain d12: 10+ bleed. (wolf pack theme + bleed from iNano)
Cat: remains the same + Non-spell attacks gain piercing +1.

Which of these 2 do you think are best? Do you think they are balanced or should even version A get a higher reveal cost?

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »
I think the revel costs should be higher 4-5 Mana, there are level 3 enchantments.
The enchantments should also be Nature Mage only, Druids should also be in the position to change the shape.
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
I think the revel costs should be higher 4-5 Mana, there are level 3 enchantments.
The enchantments should also be Nature Mage only, Druids should also be in the position to change the shape.

The inspiration for these cards is [mwcard=DNE01]Barkskin[/mwcard], and this card is druid only and not nature mage only so I think the transmutations should be beastmaster mage only as well. I see where you are coming from though. I also like keeping 'changing into beasts" something for the masters of beasts only.  ;)

For some reason I thought that barkskin had upkeep +1 so I agree that the reveal cost is too low. I'll change it to 3 or 4. I'm pretty sure though that 5 would be too expensive.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:12:53 AM by Halewijn »

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
When I think about it
Get into a werewolf... causing pain and takes time, I think you should get a stun condition as soon as the enchantment is revealed.
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »
... I also don't want to change this card for Animal kinship combo's since it's not a popular card anyway. ...

Personally, I'd be more wary of card combos. First, [mwcard=MW1J02]Animal Kinship[/mwcard] IS popular in my meta. I.e., it's not uncommon to see 2-4x Animal Kinship played along with a Darkfenne Asp and a level 1 canine that avoid combat, or are quickly replaced (esp with Straywood's quick-summoning), just for the Kinship bonuses. That's melee +X and armor +X that can't be easily Dissolved/Dispeled, and if the Mage acquire's corrode markers, the Asp goes aggro and tries to get killed in order to drop the corrosion. In fact, you can kill it yourself if you need to! (Remember, defenses are optional). It's a pretty effective strategy, albeit expensive and slower than most Beastmaster openings.

And if these Were- enchantments existed, I think you'd quickly see Kinship get played for the built-in self-combo, similar to the way Demonhide Mask lets a Warlord take advantage of several combos that otherwise might not be "popular." Sure, there are cheaper ways to get Melee +X on your Werewolf, but for example Bear Strength is a lot easier to get rid of than Animal Kinship.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:46:03 AM by iNano78 »