April 29, 2024, 12:33:14 PM

Author Topic: Beast Transmutations  (Read 11879 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Beast Transmutations
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
Yes, but I meant that, while I think the kinship is not an issue for the canine, I wouldn't want to change the cat in favor of a nice kinship combo like you proposed.  ;)

When I think about it
Get into a werewolf... causing pain and takes time, I think you should get a stun condition as soon as the enchantment is revealed.

That's actually a pretty cool idea! But you would lose the element of suprise and you would have to pay upkeep for one round for nothing.  :( I think it would make the cards way too weak. It can be fairly fast depending on the lore.

(I have updated the cards.)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:34:56 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:06 PM »
ב"ה
Seems interesting, but quite strong. The 2 MAGE ONLY upkeep+2 enchantments currently in the game are barkskin and forcefield. Barkskin has a reveal cost of 2, is a level 2 spell and a cantrip. Forcefield has a reveal cost of 10, is a level 4 spell and isn't a cantrip. I think these spells are closer in power to a forcefield than to a barkskin, so I would raise reveal cost to 5 (which is still closer to barkskin) and remove the cantrip keyword.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:24 AM »
I think forcefield is on another level and not really comparable. I'll write down my reasoning here, comparing the cards with barkskin. Since BM-only, upkeep +2 and cantrip are all the same, I'll completely exclude them and assume that barkskin is balanced.

[mwcard=DNE01]Barkskin[/mwcard] is essentially a [mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard] (5 mana) and a [mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard] (6 mana) combined in one card. Since you save a quick cast I'll rate the cost 1 mana higher.

Barkskin costs: 5 + 6 + 1 = 12 and this equals 4 + 2 upkeep (apparantly)

Transmutations

The cat combines a [mwcard=MW1E28]Mongoose Agility[/mwcard] (5 mana) with a weakened version of [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]Lion Savagery[/mwcard] (5-1 = 4 mana) + 1 mana for the quick cast. I rate the subtype gaining at 3 mana since it "only" gives the ability to gain buffs but not buffs itself + 1 mana for the quick cast.

The wolf combines a weakened version of [mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard] (5-1 = 4 mana) and a weakened version of [mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard] (5-1 = 4 mana) + 1 mana for the quick cast. . I rate the subtype gaining at 4 mana because I think that canine subtype is a little better than cat + 1 mana for the quick cast.

Total cat: 5+4+1+3+1 = 14 = 12 + 2 = Barkskin + 2
Total wolf: 4+4+1+4+1 = 14 = 12 + 2 = Barkskin +2

I agree that a reveal cost of 3 is still too low and I will change it.  :P But I would rate it at 4 now and not 5 + keeping the cantrip. Do you agree or do you think I undercost something or make a wrong reasoning?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:35:26 AM by Halewijn »

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »
Costing for this can be kind of tricky. The most similar enchantment in the game to the werecat transmutation is Ballad of Courage at 2 down 5 reveal. It grants Charge +2, Fast, and can not be hindered. Problem is, it is not a cantrip.

Charge +2 on each is equal

May not be hindered vs elusive is kind of a wash. Elusive ignores guards, may not be hindered ignores terrain/vines

Fast seems to me to be better than being an animal/cat, but that may just be an opinion.

It comes down to cantrip being the deciding factor. It might be strong enough to outweigh the fast trait on its own. As it stands, if you want to use ballad of courage for up to 2 turns (what everyone besides the siren is getting, really) then it costs 7 mana. If you want to use the cat transmutation for 2 turns, it costs 7 mana.

Even if you are the siren, keeping the song up for additional turns would cost mana just the same as the transmutation. I say it is near appropriate cost if not necessarily at cost.

No special insights on the werewolf transmutation yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:45:39 AM by JasonBourneZombie »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
We have one Werewolf atm "Goran, Werewolf Pet" he is Lycanthrope, Canine, not an Animal...

Werewolf Transmutation level 4
Cost 2 / 3(4) Transmutation
Upkeep +2, Cantryp, Beastmaster only,

This Mage gets the Lycanthrope and Canine suptype...
About the strengths he gets you can make thought.

I am still the opinion...  you should get a stun condition as soon as the enchantment is revealed.
But you're right it would be restricted, so I thought about what it would compensate....

Interweave = To dispel this enchantment it must be paid X more Mana, X is the level of the enchantment.
Interweave not sure if its the right name for the new keyword,

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:11:39 AM by Karadox »
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 09:16:47 AM »
Thank you for this nice comparison, Jason. It gives more insight.  :D I don't think cantrip should be translated to a higher manacost because then you get a weak card. I don't think barkskin or Galvitar have a higher mana cost due to cantrip. If anything, it makes the level of the card higher. That's actually the way I think they do it.

I'm convinced that a reveal cost of 5+ would be too high. I'm still not entirely sure if 3 mana or 4 mana is best because I might have overpriced the subtypes in my previous reasoning... The thing is that almost every boost the mage would benefit from is a card that already takes multiple creatures into account so 3/4 mana for gaining the subtypes might be too much.

We have one Werewolf atm "Goran, Werewolf Pet" he is Lycanthrope, Canine, not an Animal...

Without the animal subtype it kind of ruins the idea.  :( Good catch though! I'll rename it to "Wolf/Cat Transmutation" than instead of werewolf transmutation.

None of the body-modifying magic (bear strength, rhino hide, ...) stuns your mage and I really think it would overcomplicate an already loaded card and make it too weak.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
Bear stranger and rino hide make you stronger / your skin harder but transmutation transforms you into something new.
I understand you and like your idea, you probably right to change it in wolf and cat transmutation.
The Night is Dark and full of fright.