March 29, 2024, 01:37:05 AM

Author Topic: Aggro Forcemaster: Is it viable?  (Read 10865 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Aggro Forcemaster: Is it viable?
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
So in my opioun, aggro isn't really viable if you're playing against a good control/long game book. That being said, how would one go about playing a viable aggro forcemaster. Creatures, no creatures. And so on. Thanks!
The Phoenix shall rise.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Aggro Forcemaster: Is it viable?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:17 AM »
Hi =)

Start from here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16120.msg59052#msg59052
Borg got a nice opening idea way back.

There are two vids available in which I play a variation in an OCTGN tourney
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16887.msg70362#msg70362
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »
ב"ה
I heard that both in 2015 and 2016 there was an aggro forcemaster book that got into he semi-finals. I think it means they count as "competitive".

Personally, I like to have one non-thoughtspore creature  in my forcemaster books. Until recently it was usually a bridge troll or a necroprian vampire, but now with the siren's capability to neutralize single creature I am considering moving to skeleton nights. I didn't try Alandell with a forcemaster yet, but I've heard it is a good option as well.

Smashing things with galvitar is still a viable option, and a really fun one as well ^_^

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Thanks for the responses! I guess I don't consider aggro forcemaster viable becasue good players will have armor/ways to stop you (think charmyna.) I guess i just need to wrap my head around how aggro forcemaster works. My perferred FM is one that tries to be a flexible as possible. It uses mordoks obelisk, altar of infernia, and battle forge among other things.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
Thanks for the responses! I guess I don't consider aggro forcemaster viable becasue good players will have armor/ways to stop you (think charmyna.) I guess i just need to wrap my head around how aggro forcemaster works. My perferred FM is one that tries to be a flexible as possible. It uses mordoks obelisk, altar of infernia, and battle forge among other things.

Aggro is a delicate balance.  You need to have enough options to get around the main defense strategy of your opponent, but you also have to have enough threat/staying power to mess them over before they get too far down the path to the long game.

I'm planning to do some Forcemaster experimentation again soon.  Just busy with other things atm.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Aggro FM is still my most successful Mage. 

Dissolve or Acid Ball on a  Thoughtspore will counter high Armor builds.

I also run 1 non-Force creature and 2 Spores (usually 1 and a backup). I've tried the Stalker, Vampiress, Jelly and Troll. Sometimes go solo and would definitely go solo vs Siren (or might summon a Spore and relay its spells with Mind's Eye).

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
I just don't get how aggro forcemaster can work if you play against really high level players. A good player will armor up and make sure they have ways of stopping you.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »
Nano sharing your book and strat might give me a better picture of how aggro forcemaster is supposed to work.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
so much for figuring it out. rather than coming up with counters to their counters , you would rather be spoon fed someone elses solution. why not put something together and actually try some of your own. rinse and repeat before giving up entirely.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
No i'm not trying to get spoon fed someone's solution. Firstly, nano has every right not to share his book. Second, I'm trying to get another look on things in case I'm missing something from my point of view. Third, I never gave up. Fourth, I don't have acsess to octgn and want something to think over before I get home.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:22:17 PM »
here is a ggestion. how about building the book that your are concerned about facing and play both sides of a match against yourself. that may inspire you to thnk about how to approach the opponent. when the enemy plays the turtle, what spells would be helpful. perhaps do not have any book for the fm, and just play it out. docu,emt the spells you use and then at the end see which could be most useful to actually integrate into your real spellbook.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
I don't have acsess to my cards (that at a different location) but i'll test it out. I would like it if you stop assuming every time I ask for advise I want to be spoon fed. I don't. I just want a different perspective. And i'll try and test things before posting questions. If we can both do that, the whole thing should go smoother.

PS: No hard feelings on my end ( I don't hold a grudge or anything.)
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »
certainly sorry. it came much more harsh than intended. netdecking is my worst pet peeve and respondng on topics where that is part of it brings out the worst in me, and i should know better than to even put in a response.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
Yeah I don't blame you. I certainly wasn't looking to net deck (I rarely do, only when I see a book I can't resist trying out)
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
certainly sorry. it came much more harsh than intended. netdecking is my worst pet peeve and respondng on topics where that is part of it brings out the worst in me, and i should know better than to even put in a response.

What's wrong with netdecking?

I mean, I can see why it would be a problem in a game like MtG, where cards are expensive and it's just so much more convenient and less risky to try something that is known to work, even if it makes the metagame less diverse and therefore less interesting.

But Mage Wars is *not* MtG. Cards in Mage Wars all have the same rarity. You don't have anything like staple fetch lands at $20 a card in this game. When players buy the core set, they get a bunch of different cards and strategies to try straight out of the box. Mage Wars kinda goes out of the way to make creative deckbuilding more enjoyable and more convenient.

And Mage Wars involves a lot more skill than MtG. Even if you netdeck in Mage Wars, you still need the skill and familiarity with the deck in order to win.

Good Mage Wars players tend to naturally be better at making better Mage Wars decks. People prefer to play the way they want to play, Mage Wars gives *SO MUCH FREEDOM* to play the game exactly how you want to, to build your strategy exactly how you want to, and in a way that isn't tedious.

With that in mind, there are newer players who aren't very good at building mw decks yet who need more experience with the game before they start making better mw decks, and those players stand to benefit from netdecking. Also, when you fight an opponent who uses a very fun and interesting mw deck, why *wouldn't* you want to try it for yourself?

Also, aggro is totally viable, and so is forcemaster. The thing about aggro is that since you're trying to win more quickly, there's less leeway for mistakes. Wrong moves are wasted actions, and when you aren't using a spawnpoint or familiar that can hurt a lot, or at least it hurts more visibly and immediately. When you make a mistake as a control player it might not become that readily apparent until much later in the game, or at least it doesnt become that readily apparent how bad that mistake was until later in the game. A lot of the mistakes I make playing control I only notice in retrospect at the end of the game.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.