April 29, 2024, 01:38:58 AM

Author Topic: Blast First, Bank Later (Arraxian Crown Warlock)  (Read 4487 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Blast First, Bank Later (Arraxian Crown Warlock)
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:42:00 AM »
Feast your eyes on this!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Blast First, Bank Later[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Warlock Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1A04]2 x Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLA01]3 x Firestream[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSA02]2 x Swell[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A12]1 x Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLA03]2 x Volley of Flame[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J11]1 x Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]1 x Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01J01]1 x Altar of Infernia[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J22]1 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C03]1 x Dark Pact Slayer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11]1 x Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE01]1 x Adramelech's Touch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]1 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]1 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO29]1 x Debilitate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE02]2 x Curse of Decay[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]2 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]3 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E08]1 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]2 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]2 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE01]1 x Theft of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1E02]1 x Plagued[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E04]1 x Demonic Bloodlust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]2 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]1 x Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO79]1 x Blur[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBD1E01]1 x Astral Anchor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q05]1 x Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q21]1 x Moloch's Torment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q12]1 x Helm of Fear[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]2 x Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I01]1 x Crumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLI03]1 x Siphon Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]2 x Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]1 x Combustion[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

So you know the old playstyle archetypes, like swarm, few big, solo/buddy, rush, tank, turtle, etc? This isn't quite any of those. This is something completely new. It combines an early rush-like opening with a tank-like midgame.

Round 1

-if opponent is turtling, then teleport to near center, then move to far center and fireball the enemy mage.

-If opponent is rushing to their near center, then don't use teleport, just move left and guard instead, then qc fireball on the enemy mage.

-If opponent only takes one move action, then teleport only one zone instead of two, and then fireball the enemy mage.

-If you have init this round, then just quickcast teleport to near center and then move and fireball them.

-If you're facing a forcemaster, then cast teleport to move to near center zone, then tanglevine on enemy mage instead of fireball.

-If the enemy mage casts an enchantment on themselves round 1, then cast teleport to get to near center zone, then double move to one zone away from the enemy mage instead of casting fireball.

Round 2

-If you have init this round, then first qc fireball enemy mage, then poisoned blood them, regardless of what the mage is.

-If enemy mage has init this round, then have a disarm prepared in case they quickcast a dragonscale hauberk or elemental cloak.

-If they cast a facedown enchant on themselves round 1, then don't use disarm to get rid of an elemental cloak or dragonscale hauberk. Instead use crumble, then fireball them.

-If you're facing a forcemaster, qc astral anchor during first qc phase, then fireball them.

R3: Unless your opponent is a forcemaster, then by this point the enemy mage probably has about 14 damage on average. If your opponent is a forcemaster, then take the first quickcast phase this round to cast your second fireball on her.
Now what you do depends on your opponent. If they dispel the poisoned blood during first qc, put another one on immediately. If they don't, arcane ward the poisoned blood, then double move away from them.
After this you need to start armoring up and start stacking dot on enemy mage. If they start summoning creatures or conjurations to attack you, summon your dark pact slayer bloodreaper and destroy those threats. Sersyrix is there just in case more curses or fire attack spells are needed to be cast during the round.

The huge damage lead you got from the early double fireball earlier gives you a lot of tempo. Casting powerful attack spells without buffing them first allows you to cast them earlier. They do less damage this way then if they're buffed, but they do enough damage to give you a huge early lead. After getting this lead, give the enemy mage finite life, armor up, put some dot on the enemy mage, summon sersiryx or your bloodreaper or both, tank out and attack and destroy any creature/conjuration threats your opponent sends after you.

If you need something as a finisher, you can use a combination of arcane corruption and combustion, or just melee them in addition to the regular damage over time they're still taking.

Not sure what to call this new playstyle archetype though. Rush-Tank? Aggro-control? The Mage Wars version of Midrange? Something else?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:46:37 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Blast First, Bank Later (Arraxian Crown Warlock)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »
Im pretty sure you would surprice me a lot. I usually don´t carry a lot of anti-fire, because nobody in their right mind would play Warlorcks - would they?

Others carry 2x Dragonscale Hauberk, 2x Elemental Cloak and Raincloud or similar.

I do have a lot of experience with playing without a spawnpoint vs someone who does, and plays a lot of economy.
You get a early damage lead in the 10 to 20 area, but you have to finish the job fast or your going to lose.

It means i would add more attack spells and other ways of damaging him,and remove some slow and defensive stuff.

Helm of Fear
Altar of Infearnia
Curse of Decay
Maim Wings
Dark Pact Slayer
Sesiyx
Astral Anchor

and maybe even more defensive stuff.

You might just go with Divine Protection, leather and Brace Yourself. Dragonscale Hauberk/Demonhide Armor are "better" but you just might need the mana for attack spells and curses.
Vampirism might not work as your not going to melee.

Chant of Rage seems a good way to deal with intercept guards?

Wall of Bones 3 would be a good number i think.

You might need Eagleclaw boots.

Ring of Curses? I think its more important that let says Enchantment Wardstone (but i would keep that)

+1 Morlocks Torment
+1 Cloak of Shadows

Attack spells
+1 or 2 Fireballs

Id go for Surging Wave rather than Swell and Flameblast rather than Firestream. With only 9 channeling you might wanna keep Swell and Firestream so you could go Surging Wave/Flameblast first then Firestream/Swell.

Jet Stream or something else with Ethereal.

Some kind of range 3 spell might be good

Cant go wrong with a few Boulders either.

I think you need more Teleport/lesser Teleport so you can use your Full round Area attack spells.

A melee back up plan with Vorpal Blade/Critical Strike might get some more damage in?

Necromancer is going to be tuff. Priestess and the rest of holy school might not work out either.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
This might be unusual for an Arraxian Warlock, but it's quite usual for an Adramelech Warlock, and I think there is a reason for it - with this plan, you'd be better as Adramelech, which then lets you tune even more in that direction..

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Blast First, Bank Later (Arraxian Crown Warlock)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »
Im pretty sure you would surprice me a lot. I usually don´t carry a lot of anti-fire, because nobody in their right mind would play Warlorcks - would they?

Others carry 2x Dragonscale Hauberk, 2x Elemental Cloak and Raincloud or similar.

I do have a lot of experience with playing without a spawnpoint vs someone who does, and plays a lot of economy.
You get a early damage lead in the 10 to 20 area, but you have to finish the job fast or your going to lose.

It means i would add more attack spells and other ways of damaging him,and remove some slow and defensive stuff.

Helm of Fear
Altar of Infearnia
Curse of Decay
Maim Wings
Dark Pact Slayer
Sesiyx
Astral Anchor

and maybe even more defensive stuff.

You might just go with Divine Protection, leather and Brace Yourself. Dragonscale Hauberk/Demonhide Armor are "better" but you just might need the mana for attack spells and curses.
Vampirism might not work as your not going to melee.

Chant of Rage seems a good way to deal with intercept guards?

Wall of Bones 3 would be a good number i think.

You might need Eagleclaw boots.

Ring of Curses? I think its more important that let says Enchantment Wardstone (but i would keep that)

+1 Morlocks Torment
+1 Cloak of Shadows

Attack spells
+1 or 2 Fireballs

Id go for Surging Wave rather than Swell and Flameblast rather than Firestream. With only 9 channeling you might wanna keep Swell and Firestream so you could go Surging Wave/Flameblast first then Firestream/Swell.

Jet Stream or something else with Ethereal.

Some kind of range 3 spell might be good

Cant go wrong with a few Boulders either.

I think you need more Teleport/lesser Teleport so you can use your Full round Area attack spells.

A melee back up plan with Vorpal Blade/Critical Strike might get some more damage in?

Necromancer is going to be tuff. Priestess and the rest of holy school might not work out either.

So basically you're saying the entire premise is invalid because I'll be out actioned by spawnpoints. You don't think finite life and my anti-swarm tech will make a difference there?

Edit: oh right I only have 9 channeling. Probably need to have 10 for this kind of strategy. And maybe I do need a third fireball. 14 damage isn't even half dead for most mages, so it's not enough of a lead.

As for dealing with holy mages, I admit poisoned blood is probably a bit harder to protect than a deathlock. Poisoned blood can be purified, or removed by remove curse. Maybe I should use a reinforced deathlock instead. It would make it easier to destroy more creatures too, and if they don't summon anything else then I can just tank them out anyway.

And non mage creatures with defenses would be a problem. Will take out combustion, replace firestreams with flameblasts, replace swellls with surging waves.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:07:45 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
This might be unusual for an Arraxian Warlock, but it's quite usual for an Adramelech Warlock, and I think there is a reason for it - with this plan, you'd be better as Adramelech, which then lets you tune even more in that direction..

Hmm. Yeah I see what you mean. Adramelech warlock would get flame +1 on cursed enemy creatures which would make them easier to destroy. I chose arraxian crown because curseweaving and the extra healing from blood reaper, not to mention the fact that I only have two creatures. I can see them both working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 10:08:46 AM »
Hmm. Yeah I see what you mean. Adramelech warlock would get flame +1 on cursed enemy creatures which would make them easier to destroy. I chose arraxian crown because curseweaving and the extra healing from blood reaper, not to mention the fact that I only have two creatures. I can see them both working.

Adramelech can throw 10 dice fireballs from turn 2 - you don't need healing if you kill them fast.

Arraxian's are also good, but have different strengths, you are not using any of them for more than a backup plan here.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »

Adramelech can throw 10 dice fireballs from turn 2 - you don't need healing if you kill them fast.

Arraxian's are also good, but have different strengths, you are not using any of them for more than a backup plan here.

Gotcha. Right I didn't think of that. R1 fire shaper ring and Hawkeye, R2 marked for death and fireball on enemy mage. But they'll only be out of range if they're turtling in the corner, and even if they have nullify on them, two 8 dice fireballs are no joke. I'll have to remake this deck as an adramelech warlock. In retrospect, if a more aggressive rush build uses 10 dice fireballs to raise the enemy mage's damage to 20+, then they have no reason not to finish them off. But at the same time, 14 damage isn't a big enough lead to get enough tempo to start tanking. I'm thinking somewhere in between--instead of not boosting the fireballs at all, maybe R1 I could teleport one or two zones away from starting corner, then cast marked for death on enemy mage, then round 2 double fireball for 16 dice, then round 3 they'll probably have about 18 damage. Then I'll cast poisoned blood on them and summon a demon. Maybe I'll try destroying their spawnpoint next, so they can't out action me.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »

Gotcha. Right I didn't think of that. R1 fire shaper ring and Hawkeye, R2 marked for death and fireball on enemy mage. But they'll only be out of range if they're turtling in the corner, and even if they have nullify on them, two 8 dice fireballs are no joke. I'll have to remake this deck as an adramelech warlock. In retrospect, if a more aggressive rush build uses 10 dice fireballs to raise the enemy mage's damage to 20+, then they have no reason not to finish them off. But at the same time, 14 damage isn't a big enough lead to get enough tempo to start tanking. I'm thinking somewhere in between--instead of not boosting the fireballs at all, maybe R1 I could teleport one or two zones away from starting corner, then cast marked for death on enemy mage, then round 2 double fireball for 16 dice, then round 3 they'll probably have about 18 damage. Then I'll cast poisoned blood on them and summon a demon. Maybe I'll try destroying their spawnpoint next, so they can't out action me.

Okay, I'm starting to think I was probably completely wrong about all of this. I guess I simply don't understand agro very well...

MrBubu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 12:33:44 PM »
Did you continue to work on this?
I find the Blast first Eco Later a difficult thing to pull of.

Personally I run a Druid with Vine tree using Pods to build eco while the Druid goes into the front line (she can take early hits due to the tree).
But I would love to see other takes on the theme.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Did you continue to work on this?
I find the Blast first Eco Later a difficult thing to pull of.

Personally I run a Druid with Vine tree using Pods to build eco while the Druid goes into the front line (she can take early hits due to the tree).
But I would love to see other takes on the theme.

I realized it didn't really work and I just didn't understand aggro very well. That and I was sleep deprived.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »
I think blast first, economy later is a fundamentally flawed premise.

Economy pays off over time, so playing it late halves it's pay off and value. Conversely, if you blast or rush early and bring them low, why would you take your foot off the gas, and give them time to recover whilst you play bad economy?

You play economy early for a big late game, or you apply pressure early and keep it up until they are dead.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:54:02 PM by Kelanen »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
Yes. To be fair I was A bit sleep deprived when I posted this. I'm considering just deleting the thread so that new players don't get confused

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
A blast first and bank later strategy can work in certain Domination formats. For example, scenarios that require 14 V'tar points to win are on larger Arena sizes where economy often rules the day. However, a blast first can force the opponent to alter their economy opening to counter the blast. It requires a 'thread the needle' type of play, but can be a good option for a spellbook when you don't know the number or playstyle of opponents in a Domination match.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin