March 29, 2024, 06:40:33 AM

Author Topic: What has changed?  (Read 21151 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
What has changed?
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:53:35 AM »
I want to list here all the cards and rules that have been officially changed or clarified since the last "Official Rules & Codex Supplement"  (mai 2014). My purpoose is to have 1 and only 1 doc to go with the v4 rules when I play, it should contain all errata, and all points that are not clear in or from the cards and the rules.
When this list is complete, the second stage will be to add from the last ORCS all changes and clarifications that haven't been allready integrated into the v4 rules.

RULES
- Attack modifier
If a modifier that applies only to the first attack of an attack action is mooved to another object after the first attack and mooved back, it will apply again.

- Befor or after an action phase
Events that take place during these periods can occure in any order (c.f. initiative)

- Caster
When a card or rule refers to the "caster" it is the object that casted the spell, but "you" is the mage (the caster's controler if it is not a mage).

- Damages
To recieve or deal 0 damage is not recieve or deale damage.

- Duplicates
You can't have more than one copy of an object attached to the same thing.

- Enchantments
Hidden enchantments have no trait.

- Imunity
A creature can't intercept an attack it is imune to.
A creature can't melee attack in a zone if all guards are imune to its attack (except if it is elusive).

-Incapacitate
???HOW does it work if a creature becomes incapacitate after the declare attack step? (example turn to stone & enchantment transfusion)

- Initiative
The player with initiative goes first if both players want to act simultaneously.
The order of resolution of simultaneous effects is choosed by the controler of the effects's cause. Exception: during the upkeep it's the controler of the objects affected by the effects who chooses the order.
And if the two rules don't solve the timing issue, the player with initiative chooses the order (for example if an event affects objects from many players during upkeep).

- Intercept
The interceptor becomes the target.
A creature can't intercept an attack that tagets it.

- Mage's ability counter
If the object's controler changes, the abilty's doesn't:
> Pet receives +1 Melee with his first controler
> Bloodreaper is able to heal his first controler
> Eternal Servant can be reanimated by his first controler
> Holy Avenger gets bonus for the creatures and holy conjurations friendly to his first controler
> Bonded tree is still bonded to his first controler
> Veterans continue as usual
> runes continue as usual

- Numbers
Negative numbers don't exist.

- Reach
Reach doesn't affect flying creatures, except with sweeping: a flying creature with a reach + sweeping attack can attack a flying and a non flying creature in the same attack action.

- Sslak (uncontroled)
Treat the upkeep as the end of their activation for removing conditions, etc.

- Spell level
A "3x & 2y" spell is a level 5 spell of school x and a level 5 spell of school y, but a mage trained up to level n in school x will pay the x level simple when building if [x level]<=n.

- Spellbind
When changing the bound spell, you can take another card of the same spell but not the same card.

- Spiked pit (domination terrain)
The marker disapears only if it triggers.

- Triggered effect
???HOW does it work if the trigger condition is on, but the target of the effect is gone before the effect has been solved? (example Calltrops mangler & teleport trap)

- V'Tar orbs
When an orb is turned on by a mage who is part of a team, this mage gaines the "residual" mana or healing.

- V'Tar orbs - Faulty Orbs variant
The orbs are turned on by controling the zone too.

- Walls
Walls are at range 0 and at range 1 from an adjacent zone. Adjacent zones are at range 1 from the wall.
Walls of a certain type affect objects imune to this type in matter of LOS and passage block.

CARDS
- Akiro's favor
Can be revealed at any (legal) time  before the damage and effect step

- Arcane ward
Triggers during the declare step.

- Azurean genie
The wish action is quick.

- Banish
Return is no teleportation.

- Enchantment transfusion
There must be LOS from the ET to the new target of the enchantment.

- Exil
Returne is no teleportation.

- Flank attack
The piercing bonus is only for one attack (not for the whole attack action)

- Forcefield
Counters a damage barrier.

-Force orb / sword
Isn't affected by conditions, or incapacitated or restrained

- Gate to hell
Erata: the attack touches all the arena.
Erata: no hydro imunity
Erata: spawnpoints and familiar can use the open gate's ability when sumoning

- Goblin builder
Erata: ability can target the border of his zone

- Joined strength
The damage has to reach the target but is transfered before it is dealt, its source doesn't change.

- Mana prism
The loss can be caused directly by the spell or ability, or by an upkeep cost or a mana drain/transfer effect caused by the spell or ability

- Purify
Erata: price is 0, pay for the enchantments during the resolution.

- Quicksand
Erata: can't target uncontainable creatures.

- Reverse attack
The reversed attack can't be avoided.

- Reverse magic
The reversed spell can be countered (but the countering is non-mandatory for a nulify).

- Rouse the beast
Can't be cast more than one time on a creature.

- Seedlingpod
Is sacrificied as part of the casting of the spell.

- Stranglevine
If it gains the finite life trait, it keeps the 2x life allready gained and gains more counters normally but no more life. If it looses the finite life trait, it gains life up to 6+2x.

- Temple of light
Erata: choose X<= number of temples, and pay X

- Wisard
Erata: the elemental school is air

- Wisard tower
Erata: no spellbind
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:42:59 PM by Exid »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: What has changed?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:51:38 AM »
As this is a rules discussion I'm going to move it to rules.

Next you want to be more precise with your phrasing. For instance, saying that Akiro's Favor "can be revealed at any time before the damage and effect step" implys that it doesn't have to obey the standard rules for enchantments. The real result of that question/ruling is very different. It may just be easier to link the other post where the question is answered.

On Joined Strength, I'm not sure where this ruling came from as it should be the other way around. You Apply armor and then whatever is left is dealt to the creature and one of that would be transferred. Again this is where linking them would be very helpful.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:02:59 AM »
Next you want to be more precise with your phrasing. For instance, saying that Akiro's Favor "can be revealed at any time before the damage and effect step" implys that it doesn't have to obey the standard rules for enchantments. The real result of that question/ruling is very different. It may just be easier to link the other post where the question is answered.
You're right.

On Joined Strength, I'm not sure where this ruling came from as it should be the other way around. You Apply armor and then whatever is left is dealt to the creature and one of that would be transferred. Again this is where linking them would be very helpful.
I read to fast...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:50:08 AM by Exid »

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:59:01 AM »
I went back in the rules discussions to end 2015... it's a lot to read...

Did I missed something?
Am I wrong/unclear on something?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
- Numbers
0 is not valid as "any number".
negative numbers don't exist.

Where did this stem from? The ruling must be more specific than this because there are numerous areas where you can pick zero - you can Teleport 0 zones for example. Was it specific to Temple of Light perhaps to stop free shots?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
- Numbers
0 is not valid as "any number".
negative numbers don't exist.

Where did this stem from? The ruling must be more specific than this because there are numerous areas where you can pick zero - you can Teleport 0 zones for example. Was it specific to Temple of Light perhaps to stop free shots?

it was "recieve any damage" to trigger something (for exemple to awake a sleeper)... but you're right that 0 is a valid number in other MW situations...

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
Then the "ruling" you want is to say that you cannot deal "zero" damage.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »
Then the "ruling" you want is to say that you cannot deal "zero" damage.
yes.
I thougt i could generalize... but it's more complicate than that!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 11:35:33 AM »
I think you'll find that sentiment comes up often.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

: )
that's why all coments are important, to show me the whol picture.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »

Isn't that the truth!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 06:29:03 AM »
Also note that Joined Strength is an Academy card and not an Arena card. It should not be in the Arena rules supplement.

This would be consistent with AW keeping a separate Codex for each product line. The rule sets and rule supplements should be kept separate as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
Also note that Joined Strength is an Academy card and not an Arena card. It should not be in the Arena rules supplement.

This would be consistent with AW keeping a separate Codex for each product line. The rule sets and rule supplements should be kept separate as well.

All Academy cards are playable in Arena, therefore it's important to know how to play them in Arena!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »

Academy cards can be used in Arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »

All Academy cards are playable in Arena, therefore it's important to know how to play them in Arena!

Moreover, some Academy rules (and thus cards) operate differently in Academy to Arena, thus they HAVE to be in Arena documents, in addition to Academy.

I'd be willing to bet more people play Academy cards in Arena than in Academy...