March 28, 2024, 05:56:32 AM

Author Topic: Air elemental  (Read 12650 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Air elemental
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:49:46 AM »
In the spirit of all the recent conversations about elementals:

Can we consider the [mwcard=MW1C40]Whirling Spirit[/mwcard] as the air elemental? He surely looks like one, but he does not have the name, not have the subtype elemental and is considerably weaker than the other 3 elementals?

If he is not, what is the difference between an "elemental" and a "wind spirit"? And if he is not the elemental, could we expect the air elemental some day?

Could there be a lightning elemental or an ice elemental?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Air elemental
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
In the spirit of all the recent conversations about elementals:

Can we consider the [mwcard=MW1C40]Whirling Spirit[/mwcard] as the air elemental? He surely looks like one, but he does not have the name, not have the subtype elemental and is considerably weaker than the other 3 elementals?

If he is not, what is the difference between an "elemental" and a "wind spirit"? And if he is not the elemental, could we expect the air elemental some day?

I think of the Whirling Spirit as analogous to Iron Golem and Magma Golem - e.g. Air's non-Elemental non-living creature/construct.

I expect we'll see a true Air Elemental in the Forcemaster vs Wizard spell tome expansion (or whatever product gives us a female alternate Wizard).

*edit* Was there a "Swirling Spirit" or something analogous to a golem/spirit for the Siren?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:41:34 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »
In contrast to the golems, it does have its own mind/spirit and is not psychic immune.

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
Is there a ruling that Elementals have Psychic Immunity - even if the card does not say this?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
No, elementals do not have it.

Golems however are magical constructs (magical walking machines) and do not have an own mind. They have the psychic immunity traith.

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »
No, elementals do not have it.

Golems however are magical constructs (magical walking machines) and do not have an own mind. They have the psychic immunity traith.

OK. I was referring to this discussion, where somebody implied that Elementals have Psychic Immunity - although the Earth Elemental does not show this trait:

-Thorg can waste an Earth Elementals turns but taunting it and forcing it to move to his zone (since its a slow creature with no quick attack it will just uselessly lumber around)
Elementals are psychic immune so they ignore the taunt.

It thought there was some kind of undocumented ruling or so... But that is not the case, correct?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Immediately following that discussion is a post from Laddinfance declaring that Elementals have their own will and are thus NOT Psychic Immune.  Officially, for all time as well as forever, Non-living is NOT EQUAL to Psychic Immune.  Elementals are NOT Psychic Immune.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
NonLiving trait ONLY grants Finite Life and Poison Immune to creatures.

If the creature is non living and doesn't specify Psy-Immunty, it doesn't have it. 
[mwcard=FWC08]Invisible Stalker[/mwcard] is not Psyi-Immune
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard] is
Skeletons, Zombies and so on have Psychic Immunity specifically stamped on them because non-living doesn't imply it.

This becomes tricky or at least easy to gloss over, because a psychic effect can just call for "living creature" in its target anyway, like [mwcard=MW1I26]Sleep[/mwcard] for example.

but, some spells like: [mwcard=FWE01]Charm[/mwcard] [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard] [mwcard=FWE08]Mind Shield[/mwcard]  are all psychic in subtuype, but can be cast on non-living creatures who aren't immune.   The same is true for attacks from a creature like Psylok or Screeching Harpy.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
Kaarin was wrong.

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »

Whirling Spirit is not an elemental but a sentient creature that lives in the Realm of Voltari (a place of existence from which most magic draws power.). Note the quote on the card “While summoned of Voltari, their essence is neither that world or this one.”

The Realm of Voltari crackles with ambient energy, and provides a volatile, harsh environment for the limited number of creatures who live there. The [mwcard=MW1C40]Whirling Spirit[/mwcard] is one such creature, as is the [mwcard=MW1C24]Mana Leech[/mwcard], and manticores such as Asto Vantu.

True elementals are tied to elemental forces and were originally created by the Elemental Lords. Lightning and Ice Elementals exist (along with many other types of elementals, both lesser and greater), though not currently as cards.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »
... and manticores such as Asto Vantu.

Typo for Asto Vidatu or there is some new cool creature on the way? (be it the second one please! :) )
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Typo for Asto Vidatu or there is some new cool creature on the way? (be it the second one please! :) )

Thanks for the callout -- I do mean Asto Vidatu.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
Thank you for explaining both here and about the demons. I very much enjoy reading lore.