April 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Author Topic: Earth Elemental  (Read 21283 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Earth Elemental
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:40:54 AM »
Honestly I don't like Barracks openers. I find them to committed mana wise and easy to react to. I would suggest maybe opening with a Barracks and Garrison post so you can at least start spitting out creatures. If you want to go Barracks ultimately I would suggest opening Garrison Post with [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ04]General's Signet Ring[/mwcard] and delay your Barracks until round 2 (if they spent their mana on something safe for you to Barracks out with). This lets you cast your creatures in a positional advantage while still having an economy opener.

Also could you post your book? Perhaps there is something we could examine to help you deal with the Earth Elementals besides just taking them yourself.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:50:59 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
The thing isn't that Earth Elemental is -bad- its that you can pay less for better creatures.  Iron Golems or Devouring Jellies and so on will get more work done than an Earth Elemental for less mana AND less spell points. So, by comparison EEs are terribly inefficient.

As far as Warlord answers to Earth Elemental-
-Grimson Deadeye sitting on a watchtower can plug 3-4 attacks into it before its even close enough to attack. (4 dice from 3 zones, 5 from 2, 6 from 1)

-Thorg can waste an Earth Elementals turns but taunting it and forcing it to move to his zone (since its a slow creature with no quick attack it will just uselessly lumber around)
Hit it with Quicksand to force the opponent to spend actions to free it or spend his teleports.

-Use Stumble and/or Fumbles to waste its attempts to move or attack while youre creatures burn it down.
Reverse Attack while Grimson or any other hard hitter focuses damage.

EE has no armor, so as long as youre running a few ranged creatures you should be able to burn him down easily before he can do much damage especially if combined with aforementioned tools to hinder its ability to move (quicksand/stumble) to buy extra rounds.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
-Thorg can waste an Earth Elementals turns but taunting it and forcing it to move to his zone (since its a slow creature with no quick attack it will just uselessly lumber around)
Elementals are psychic immune so they ignore the taunt.

-Use Stumble and/or Fumbles to waste its attempts to move or attack while youre creatures burn it down.
Those spells don't work on unmovable creatures such as EE.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
The thing isn't that Earth Elemental is -bad- its that you can pay less for better creatures.  Iron Golems or Devouring Jellies and so on will get more work done than an Earth Elemental for less mana AND less spell points. So, by comparison EEs are terribly inefficient.

As far as Warlord answers to Earth Elemental-
-Grimson Deadeye sitting on a watchtower can plug 3-4 attacks into it before its even close enough to attack. (4 dice from 3 zones, 5 from 2, 6 from 1)

Hit it with Quicksand to force the opponent to spend actions to free it or spend his teleports.

Reverse Attack while Grimson or any other hard hitter focuses damage.

EE has no armor, so as long as youre running a few ranged creatures you should be able to burn him down easily before he can do much damage especially if combined with aforementioned tools to hinder its ability to move (quicksand/stumble) to buy extra rounds.

Stumble / Fumble don't work, because the EE is unmovable.

Quicksand will cost you 10 mana and therefore a complete turn. If you decide to kill the EE, I think the strategy should be to do that in less than 2 turns with less than 20 mana. Otherwise the other mage gains on you.

Also, the EE has a nasty Daze/Stun.

Of course I understand the global concepts brought forward in this thread (ignoring, flying, guarding, take hits, ranged attacks), but I have not seen a post showing how to kill the EE in 2 turns with 20 mana invested at max.

I would suggest maybe opening with a Barracks and Garrison post so you can at least start spitting out creatures.

Typo?

I'll see if I can post my book.

I find the iron golem much better. 6 dice, only 13 mana, psychic immunity, also unmovable.

An Iron Golem in average needs 6 attacks to take down an Earth Elemental.
An Earth Elemental in average does 3.5 critical dmg per attack and therefore in average needs 4 attacks to take down the Iron Golem, during which the Iron Golem is Dazed after 2 of these.

Elementals are psychic immune so they ignore the taunt.

Those spells don't work on unmovable creatures such as EE.

Psychic Immunity only for non-lvinging conjurations, not for Elementals?

Important: Unless the card says otherwise, all conjurations have the following traits: Nonliving, Psychic Immunity, and Unmovable (you can look these traits up in the Codex).
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:46:05 PM »
Elementals have their own will, unlike golems and other constructed creatures which do not.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »
Non-living only includes Poison Immunity and Finite Life.  If the creature doesn't specifically have Psy-Immune added on, then they are vulnerable.  That's why every skeleton/zombie and so on has it listed on their card separate, and another reason that Iron Golems are better than EEs (protection from Charm, Mind Control, Taunts and Songs)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
I would suggest maybe opening with a Barracks and Garrison post so you can at least start spitting out creatures.

Typo?

???

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 04:18:57 PM »

Typo?

???

You said you don't like Barracks openings and then suggest to open with a Barracks?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 04:19:11 PM »

If you decide to kill the EE, I think the strategy should be to do that in less than 2 turns with less than 20 mana. Otherwise the other mage gains on you.

First, I will humor this notion by giving you a solution in a manor that you wont like, due to warlord's training:

[mwcard=MW1Q19]Mage Wand[/mwcard] with [mwcard=MW1I01]Banish[/mwcard] attached.

This is 2 quick actions and 19 mana to remove a 20 mana EE from the game for three rounds.

Second, You are not going to be able to consistently generate 35 damage in 2 rounds for under 20 mana, max damage rolls withstanding, anymore because you're asking for a way to kill most mages, aka winning the game, in 2 rounds and under 20 mana.

#DoubleDragon
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:47:22 PM by Kharhaz »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »

Typo?

???

You said you don't like Barracks openings and then suggest to open with a Barracks?

Ah I see. I meant I don't like Barracks openings, but just wanted to give some suggestions if you wanted to stick with that. I've run a few Barracks Warlords and that was my experience on how they worked out.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
And ignoring 4 of them is impossible.

If I hurl 5 average boulders at him (35 dmg), I spent 40 mana and 3 turns on a creature that cost 20 mana.

No, not impossible - you don't need to kill his creatures. IGNORE those elementals and throw that 35 damage to his face and kill him! The game is to kill the mage, not his army...

If he's casting 4 Earth Elementals, he's not doing anything else. You should have him dead by the time the 2nd one gets an activation...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »

If I hurl 5 average boulders at him (35 dmg), I spent 40 mana and 3 turns on a creature that cost 20 mana.

No, not impossible - you don't need to kill his creatures. IGNORE those elementals and throw that 35 damage to his face and kill him! The game is to kill the mage, not his army...

If he's casting 4 Earth Elementals, he's not doing anything else. You should have him dead by the time the 2nd one gets an activation...

Agreed, If you allow your opponent to summon 3 or 4 elementals, he deserves to win.  :) That's 7 rounds without doing anything else. Still... I find your opponent awesome :P By turn 5 you should be in his face, no matter what strategy you are using. He will have 2 elementals, but be very vulnarable. If he continues to summon a third one, you should be able to finish him of.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:44:41 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Earth Elemental
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 06:47:52 PM »

Agreed, If you allow your opponent to summon 3 or 4 elementals, he deserves to win.  :) That's 7 rounds without doing anything else. Still... I find your opponent awesome :P By turn 5 you should be in his face, no matter what strategy you are using. He will have 2 elementals, but be very vulnarable. If he continues to summon a third one, you should be able to finish him of.

It would be cool to try in a team match. One Mage summons elementals while the other keeps the enemy occupied while tanking. Maybe wizard and warlord team. Better to run two at most or you'll have no mana for a soldier! Four elementals seems excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:50:02 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
It would be cool to try in a team match. One Mage summons elementals while the other keeps the enemy occupied while tanking. Maybe wizard and warlord team. Better to run two at most or you'll have no mana for a soldier! Four elementals seems excessive.

psshhh

Siren & Siren

Water Elemental² !

Twice the bubbles, Twice the fun!!

gaspode77

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
The best option is make a wizard book with 4 earth elemental,log in OCTGN and watch how every average player beat the shit of you , meanwhile you could take notes

Enviado desde mi Aquaris E4.5 mediante Tapatalk