April 29, 2024, 01:32:31 AM

Author Topic: Earth Elemental  (Read 21319 times)

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Elemental
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 05:35:40 AM »
The best option is make a wizard book with 4 earth elemental,log in OCTGN and watch how every average player beat the shit of you , meanwhile you could take notes

Enviado desde mi Aquaris E4.5 mediante Tapatalk

Hahahahaha. I have actually considered that too.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »
It would be cool to try in a team match. One Mage summons elementals while the other keeps the enemy occupied while tanking. Maybe wizard and warlord team. Better to run two at most or you'll have no mana for a soldier! Four elementals seems excessive.

psshhh

Siren & Siren

Water Elemental² !

Twice the bubbles, Twice the fun!!

I was actually going to suggest the Water Elemental instead of the Earth, lol.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »
Psychic Immunity only for non-lvinging conjurations, not for Elementals?

Important: Unless the card says otherwise, all conjurations have the following traits: Nonliving, Psychic Immunity, and Unmovable (you can look these traits up in the Codex).
Yeah, I just haven't seen earth elemental in play yet so I remembered the card wrong.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
Also could you post your book? Perhaps there is something we could examine to help you deal with the Earth Elementals besides just taking them yourself.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]First Draft[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Anvil Throne Warlord Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]2 x Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWJ01]1 x Akiro's Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ02]1 x Altar of Carnage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x Armory[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ03]1 x Barracks[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ05]1 x Construction Yard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ04]1 x Garrison Post[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ07]2 x Quicksand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWW01]2 x Wall of Pikes[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]2 x Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC03]2 x Goblin Bomber[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC04]1 x Goblin Builder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC05]2 x Goblin Grunt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC06]3 x Goblin Slinger[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC10]1 x Ludwig Boltstorm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC09]1 x Otto Kronig, Master Engineer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1C04]1 x Slaknir, Goblin Chieftain[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]2 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]2 x Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]2 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E33]2 x Retaliate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE05]1 x Spiked Pit[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE09]1 x Standard Bearer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q04]1 x Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]1 x Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]2 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ04]1 x General's Signet Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]2 x Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ05]2 x Helm of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q13]2 x Ivarium Longbow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ08]1 x Ring of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01I01]1 x Crumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]1 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I02]1 x Disperse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI06]2 x Power Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]2 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI08]1 x Sniper Shot[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:13:53 PM by Donovan »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 01:19:18 AM »
I didnt expect this, but your deck can handle elementals pretty good!

I would focus on ranged fire.

Ivarium longbow, wall of pikes, ludwig (9 dice without armor!), grimson, slingers.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
This book is excellant to deal with Earth Elementals, or just killing the mage. The hammer is very nice if you can land a daze on a Elemental. Missing a daze roll and losing 7 dice is pretty brutal. Make sure you have akiros favor so you can help get that daze. Otherwise Hale had some good ideas. I wouldn't cast the bracers until you know you are about to be hit. Casting to early (like turn 1) is to limiting for your mana pool. 
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
This book is excellant to deal with Earth Elementals, or just killing the mage. The hammer is very nice if you can land a daze on a Elemental. Missing a daze roll and losing 7 dice is pretty brutal. Make sure you have akiros favor so you can help get that daze. Otherwise Hale had some good ideas. I wouldn't cast the bracers until you know you are about to be hit. Casting to early (like turn 1) is to limiting for your mana pool.

Thx. Will try again. Guess I freaked out when he pulled the Earth Elemental in the first round. And then 2 rounds later pulled the 2nd one. I went for them, but really I think you should not. There is no way you can beat 2 mages worth of life and still stand as strong as before. You have likely emptied all your good spells/creatures and will be vulnerable.

Next time I will not cast conjurations, but make sure I have enough fighting power to hit the mage when he starts this way.

Will report back.

Btw, I would love to see some videos of you guys where you do not focus on entire games (love those too btw) but on some game openings - say the first 4 rounds of a game for certain mages. Perhaps also focusing on the differences of having initiative or not. This weird Earth Elemental opening for the Air Wizard could be one of them. I'd love to see how you guys deal with it. And I'd also like to see some game openings for other mages.

For example, I saw a very aggressive Force Master opening once. Immediately hitting the other mage with Boulders etc.. That can be quite surprising and if you commit mana to slow buildup and the other mage comes in aggressively, it is hard to correct.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:58:48 AM by Donovan »

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
Also could you post your book? Perhaps there is something we could examine to help you deal with the Earth Elementals besides just taking them yourself.

EQUIPMENT
------------------------------
2x Elemental Wand

ENCHANTMENTS
2x Akiros Favor

ATTACKS
2x Hurl Boulder
2x Hurl Rock

R1 19
Move
Elemental wand ( Hurl Boulder )
FD Akiro's Favor

R2 21
Double move to FC
QC Hurl Boulder on the Wizard ( use Akiro's Favor if necessary, let's say you did) 7 dice total

R3 19
Move if necessary
2x Hurl Boulder 21 dice total

R4 12
Move to within 1
Hurl Boulder 28 dice total
Hurl Rock 33 dice total

With average rolls and an Akiro's Favor to reroll, the Wizard should be finished by R4, he has 2 EE's in play and probably hasn't touched you. ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:59:34 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
Nice. I was thinking about something like that. Come out aggressively is the only viable way. Ignoring and fighting the EEs is not going to be successful.

Small Problem is likely that you did not prepare that in round 1 and you do not know what is going on till round 3/4.

But will try out and report back!

Appreciated!

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 03:56:02 AM »
Small Problem is likely that you did not prepare that in round 1 and you do not know what is going on till round 3/4.

Even if you start this approach only by R3, the Wizard is dead by R6, he has 3EE's out and still probably hasn't touched you ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »
I would point out that Mongoose Agility lets you run away from Earth Elemental like a champ. It's slow, so can't move and attack, and if you're not hindered you should be able to move away. The Wizard can (and probably will) cast Charge or Teleport, but it's not like he's going to have a lot of mana lying around.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2016, 04:32:09 AM »
Even if it is maybe not the super duper Strategie:
Do you think a Wizard with 4 EarthElementals can still be a solid book even after Wizard Errata to Air Training? It's a lot of spellbook points now.

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 10:19:11 AM »
I play against my son who is 10 years old. He did manage to build a valid book with 120 points containing 40 points worth of Earth Elementals!

The thing was: I was so surprised! I was getting ready for a 2 hour game, slowly building up my new Warlord (first time I played him) and then that happened! We kind of have a rule that we do not aggressively charge towards each other in the first rounds. We saw that once on OCTGN with a Forcemaster build. We were in awe, but decided that is not the kind of game we are after. Also: I don't want to lose my young sparring partner! =;-)

It took me some time to figure out that you cannot fight those EE. They are like 140 damage points. And it will likely cost you more mana and more rounds than he used to cast them.

But I also figured out: While 1 EE may be ignored, 2, 3 or even 4 cannot be ignored. They close in on you. Hinder you. Crush your conjurations with 1 or 2 blows of 7 dice each. The Goblin Soldiers are not the strongest in terms of life and armor.

So it took me some time to to figure out that what he was really doing was investing huge amounts of mana in long term damage. If I can spend the same amount of mana in short term damage, I can counter.

So this required me changing to a strategy I was actually always trying to avoid: Full blown mage to mage combat, spending all mana on attack spells (hurl boulder/rock).

Still I'm sure that you can surprise many players who are new to the game with such a build - even if 4 Earth Elementals take 40 of your spell points! It might be an interesting build for a Warlord against an inexperienced other mage as well. For a Warlord this is "only" 20 points. But he must cast a Mana Flower first, other wise he cannot cast one every 2 turns.

If you are new to the game: Try it out I would say. Both of you will learn.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
Generally when you invest in a creature you are immediately the weakest right then, but payoff over time. Running 4 EE's is what I like to call a training book. It's a book that's not super competitive, but instead helps create super competitive books. If you want some other training style books search in the forums for the Rushmaster (an in your face mass attack spell book). Or the Beastslinger - a book that uses creatures like you would attack spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
Generally when you invest in a creature you are immediately the weakest right then, but payoff over time. Running 4 EE's is what I like to call a training book. It's a book that's not super competitive, but instead helps create super competitive books. If you want some other training style books search in the forums for the Rushmaster (an in your face mass attack spell book). Or the Beastslinger - a book that uses creatures like you would attack spells.

The Rushmaster is a very cool deck invented by Coshade/intangible. The first time you battle it, it will whoop your ass. After that lesson, the rushmaster will be very unlikely to beat you again.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cj15VvBxI

Here you can see it in action, kicking some necromancer butt. The game ends in only 4 rounds.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.