March 29, 2024, 03:53:48 AM

Author Topic: Wizard and Wizard's Tower Errata  (Read 110708 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Wizard and Wizard's Tower Errata
« on: July 05, 2016, 04:42:40 PM »
Just posted >>THIS<< about changes to the Wizard and Wizard's Tower. I've linked PDFs of the current versions. I'm working to get them on the Resources and Downloads page. Thank you.

Link to Errata
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:09:58 AM by Laddinfance »

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard and Wizard's Tower Errata
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
Wow. Didn't see that: "The Wizard no longer picks an element to be trained in. Now he is trained only in Arcane and Air" coming  :o. That is more drastic than I would have expected. I undestand the reasoning though and I thinkg I like it  :-\.

I definitely like the nerf of the wizards tower. Keeps the spirit of the card but takes away the extreme SP effifiency.

Thank you Laddinface. I hope this puts an end to the neverending "Wizard is OP/not OP" discussions ...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »
Wow. Didn't see that: "The Wizard no longer picks an element to be trained in. Now he is trained only in Arcane and Air" coming  :o. That is more drastic than I would have expected. I undestand the reasoning though and I thinkg I like it  :-\.

I definitely like the nerf of the wizards tower. Keeps the spirit of the card but takes away the extreme SP effifiency.

Thank you Laddinface. I hope this puts an end to the neverending "Wizard is OP/not OP" discussions ...

I am so sad. I really feel like the wizard elemental nurf is anoying. I really liked his versatively. Wizard is now not very interesting for me. For example, both last year's gen con finalists books would be way over with the current errata. I wish he would have been limited to certain levels or certain schools, rather than just air. I completely, trust your judgement Laddin, but this errata eliminates so many kinds of strategies.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:12:53 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
I have to say, we discuss this for many hours and probably days in our gaming group. I see a great courage to implement these changes, if you realize how long was Wizard as it is. They (AW) have a courage to try to change something that was here from the beginning! And it was not an easy decision.

I was always a "wiseguy" when comes to any decision or change in everythin in which i really dont have to bear the responsibility. Latly, i experienced lot in real life, and i think i can say, that i deeply respect this changes and motives behind them.

It makes me happy to be part of Mage Wars and to be a fan of products of Arcane Wonders ;)

Wizard is dead, long live the Wizard!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
Definitely more drastic than i expected. I'm not sure I agree with getting rid of the other elemental wizards. Sharing a school with another mage does not mean that it will steal that mage's tricks, so to speak. Just as the druid and the beastmaster do not conflict with each other's playstyles. And I've always thought of the wizard as four different mages with their own styles, not one mage with flexibility granted to him by his choice of school. I'm very interested in hearing not only why you guys chose this solution, but why you think that it's the optimal solution out of all other possibilities.

Might there ever be other arcane mages trained in a different elemental school?

Wizard is dead
I should hope not. I'm pretty sure that's not the intent of these nerfs.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »

Wizard is dead

I hope i didnt use this wrongly : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_king_is_dead,_long_live_the_king!
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
I absolutely agree Sailor. This is such a drastic change, tower is fine in my opioun, but the wizard nerf is over the top in my opioun. Also, isn't the point of the wizard to be a jack of a trades? Do we need a wizard who is limited.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:25:31 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 05:33:27 PM »
Give it a chance :)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
Give it a chance :)
It's just the thing is, I don't think that this change is what anyone was calling for. To my knowledge, no one said, "make wizard limited to only one element."
The Phoenix shall rise.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
My random thoughts on these changes.

I'm very curious how this will impact the game.  I could see how the Wizard from the beginning has maybe slowed the development of other mages.

I think this might be better in the long run because it now allows for more development of the arcane and air school to make the wizard even more unique than he was. 

With the siren coming out soon and pretty much a water only trained school this would of made the wizard even more crazy powerful.  Will miss the choice and surprise of playing wizards.  It is sad and exciting at the same time to see what happens next.

I think too this still does not totally stop people using outside of school spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »
I like this idea of different Wizards focused in a different element with maybe unique ability card.  This could help with balance of the Wizards abilities and offer some choice and balance. 

Definitely more drastic than i expected. I'm not sure I agree with getting rid of the other elemental wizards. Sharing a school with another mage does not mean that it will steal that mage's tricks, so to speak. Just as the druid and the beastmaster do not conflict with each other's playstyles. And I've always thought of the wizard as four different mages with their own styles, not one mage with flexibility granted to him by his choice of school. I'm very interested in hearing not only why you guys chose this solution, but why you think that it's the optimal solution out of all other possibilities.

Might there ever be other arcane mages trained in a different elemental school?

Wizard is dead
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
Having worked on every Mage Wars expansion to date, the Wizard has become a larger and larger design constrain while building new mages. This was the cleanest way to limit his constraint, while not impacting the core of his play. This errata is not meant as a direct curb on his power. It is however a way for us to open up design in the future.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
Also, isn't the point of the wizard to be a jack of a trades? Do we need a wizard who is limited.
No, Wizard wasn't supposed to be jack of all trades but a trickster.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »
I'm surprised that WT didn't get Zone Exclusive.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
Also, isn't the point of the wizard to be a jack of a trades? Do we need a wizard who is limited.
No, Wizard wasn't supposed to be jack of all trades but a trickster.
Right.
The Phoenix shall rise.