April 27, 2024, 11:45:09 PM

Author Topic: Is Mage wars about to fade out?  (Read 33349 times)

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mage wars about to fade out?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
I know that there were Russian, Italian, French versions, but I think that both Italian and French didn't get past core set. I heard about Spanish version too.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 09:29:45 AM »
I know that there were Russian, Italian, French versions, but I think that both Italian and French didn't get past core set. I heard about Spanish version too.

in french we have core set, the 2 +core set and warlord vs forcemaster... but there are very good quality unofficial translations for the other sets!

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 11:17:10 AM »
Just the core set

no more

they are stopped the ditribution after 6 moth with no publicity ...
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »
Just the core set

no more

they are stopped the ditribution after 6 moth with no publicity ...

the two core spel tomes are on philibert... but you're right about FMvsWrlrd

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 04:37:35 PM »

in french we have core set, the 2 +core set and warlord vs forcemaster... but there are very good quality unofficial translations for the other sets!

I'm pretty sure we would have heard something on the forums if FvW came out in French, because it would mean french mage wars was being distributed again.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 11:35:31 PM »
I suppose I'll get off the rocking chair and throw in my two cents to the OP's statement and a few other opinions I see on this thread:

For me, MW is one of my all time favorite games, but the "competitive" scene has become stale and predictable for me; by "predictable" I mean that a vast majority of the cards that AW has released will never see play because they are "sub-optimal" or "useless", and that takes a lot of the charm of competitive building decks away from me. Sure, I can play casually, yet for me is that there really isn't a scene in my neck of the woods - outside the few people I can tear away from MtG to sit down a play, and the two/three people who actually play MW.

Now, I have been playing this game since beta back at GenCon '11, and have seen this game go through multiple changes, but I can agree with a few other's sentiments that a more streamlined release schedule for more Arena-centered content would be nice (though, we all remember how...rushed FM v W felt). No fault of the playtesters, since they have to try out a lot of combinations to try and balance before release. Nor no fault of Arcane Wonders because they should be using this IP to make varied content so we have things like Domination and Academy.

All in all, for me at least, I am on a semi-permanent hiatus from the game till I can find that spark again. What will that spark be? I don't know, but it is missing.

Finally, when was the last time a newsletter was sent out? I mean a newsletter going into strategies and varies aspects of play.
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is Mage wars about to fade out?
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2016, 06:05:23 AM »
I suppose I'll get off the rocking chair and throw in my two cents to the OP's statement and a few other opinions I see on this thread:

For me, MW is one of my all time favorite games, but the "competitive" scene has become stale and predictable for me; by "predictable" I mean that a vast majority of the cards that AW has released will never see play because they are "sub-optimal" or "useless", and that takes a lot of the charm of competitive building decks away from me. Sure, I can play casually, yet for me is that there really isn't a scene in my neck of the woods - outside the few people I can tear away from MtG to sit down a play, and the two/three people who actually play MW.

Now, I have been playing this game since beta back at GenCon '11, and have seen this game go through multiple changes, but I can agree with a few other's sentiments that a more streamlined release schedule for more Arena-centered content would be nice (though, we all remember how...rushed FM v W felt). No fault of the playtesters, since they have to try out a lot of combinations to try and balance before release. Nor no fault of Arcane Wonders because they should be using this IP to make varied content so we have things like Domination and Academy.

All in all, for me at least, I am on a semi-permanent hiatus from the game till I can find that spark again. What will that spark be? I don't know, but it is missing.

Finally, when was the last time a newsletter was sent out? I mean a newsletter going into strategies and varies aspects of play.

It seems like most everyone here either has a decently sized playerbase or a practically nonexistent one. I wonder why that is? Maybe busy cities are less likely to have potential Arena players than more laidback ones? Have you tried introducing Academy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
I think I understand the "spark" idea.  I cannot share a ton, but for me Paladin vs Siren sparks a lot of enthusiasm which I hope turns into a full fledged bonfire of excitement when it hits the FLGS shelves.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 02:31:52 AM »
SvP exites me too.
My fear is that it only ignite the spark for those who once had it. In my mind the bigger picture is more important, how to make the game hot again. I would love to hear AW strategy there.

I was no fan when MtG introduced type 2 (that's why I quit playing), but I now realize a few amazing things with it like;
- New players are not as intimated starting playing
- Easier / less play testing.
- Phase out of wrongly designed cards.

I'm not saying MW should do this, but I think something else then just pushing out more cards is the way to go.
Maybe some kind of semi type 2 idea.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:33:20 PM by fas723 »

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 04:53:11 AM »
I see no need for a type2. A well planned release-schedule with transparent (!!!) status updates and new mages/cards not to often, but often enough should be fine.

The main point to keep that “spark“ on fire is setting keypersons on fire who themselves bring and keep other people playing. In other words MageWars is living from those (us) nerds here in this forum who spend a lot of lifetime thinking about strategies, spellbooks, synergies and also hoe to get bad cards like gate to hell rolling. This is the spark!
And to keep that hot ArcaneWonders should spend some energy reacting to keyplayers.
- The wishes for correct and updates rules, errata and supplement are big and easy to fulfill. Do that!!
- Bring out printable cardtextupdates to put in sleeves so that everybody can play up to date!
- Get the forum organized by starting sections for academy and domination. It's so messy in here :)
- Update the spellbookbuilder and the app so that everyone can think even more about the game. How great is it for MageWars if people around the world plan their books and read card details while sitting in a park?! There are new cards: they have to be in those tools instantly, so that new betas are coming up faster! It keeps the spark hot!

Think about MageWars without forum and YouTube and octgn. Jus sell it like every game in stores. It would have died already!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:55:38 AM by bigfatchef »

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
what is type 2?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »
what is type 2?

In Magic it's a format that only uses the 2 most recent blocks of cards. It became "Standard" and now Standard format includes the last three blocks of cards, but blocks are no longer 3 sets large. To play Standard, you only build your deck out of the cards from the legal blocks.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 11:45:36 PM »
what is type 2?

In Magic it's a format that only uses the 2 most recent blocks of cards. It became "Standard" and now Standard format includes the last three blocks of cards, but blocks are no longer 3 sets large. To play Standard, you only build your deck out of the cards from the legal blocks.
... i prefere to wait 5 years for a new set than see MW come to that...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 06:19:34 AM »
I don't see a reason for "type 2" in Mage Wars. It isn't a collectible game, so there isn't a need to pay $1500+ each for 4 copies of an overpowered card from a long out-of-print set's random pack in order to compete several years later. Besides, any poorly designed/balanced cards from early MW sets tend to be on the weak side, not overpowered, so while they may not get played in high-level competitions, at least they aren't breaking the game. MtG has plenty of duds on the weak end (probably 80% are unplayable) and they still need to ban cards on a regular basis. I prefer that MW chooses to errata overpowered cards (like Battle Fury, Temple of Light, Hand of B-S) and perhaps some underpowered cards (like Gate to Hell and Goblin Builder) and go from there. It's a lot better than nullifying an entire expansion set by rotating it out.

Besides, there aren't 3-4 major expansion sets per year, along with a new core set, so even if there were a desire for a "type 2" format, there wouldn't be a sufficiently large card pool. Part of the reason I left MtG was I couldn't keep up with the sets release and rotation schedule. Even if you played draft/limited, you were constantly learning about the new cards. Takes a ton of time and wheelbarrows full of money to keep up with "type 2" MtG. Rather, I like that you can build a decent MW spell book from the core set and one or 2 expansions, especially if you focus on a couple mages or schools. You don't "need" them all - although it's nice to have the variety and options available.

Personally, I liked the stories and achievements in the organized play kits. I thought it was fun that you could either earn points/prizes by winning or by playing thematically and unlocking achievements. Sadly, the OP kits and story ended over 1.5 years ago with no indication that they'll resume.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:21:37 AM by iNano78 »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 08:33:24 AM »
Just to be clear, I was simply outlining what "Type 2" is. Mage Wars has no intention to go to a set rotation model. Right now we're trying to stay focused on getting into a good rhythm and keep producing great sets for everyone.