April 28, 2024, 02:38:47 AM

Author Topic: Is Mage wars about to fade out?  (Read 33350 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Is Mage wars about to fade out?
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »
What would be great would be a well oehanized and simple collection of GOOD books. Not frugal and not hidden in a forum with variations on page 4.

Building 2-3 books per mage and a description how to build spellbooks is something we could easily do as a group.  ;D It wouldn't even take time for  AW apart from uploading the final document.

I totally agree that this is something wonderful that should be on AW website.

We could organise books by style of playing. Each one described generally, with one or two openings detailed.

Who's in?

I am planning a seminar on Basic Spellbook Design for the World Boardgaming Championships at the end of July. If the group wants to contribute, then I could include ideas into my seminar materials and publish the results.

Perhaps we start up a new forum folder for this discussion?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is Mage wars about to fade out?
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2016, 06:42:13 AM »
What would be great would be a well oehanized and simple collection of GOOD books. Not frugal and not hidden in a forum with variations on page 4.

Building 2-3 books per mage and a description how to build spellbooks is something we could easily do as a group.  ;D It wouldn't even take time for  AW apart from uploading the final document.

I totally agree that this is something wonderful that should be on AW website.

We could organise books by style of playing. Each one described generally, with one or two openings detailed.

Who's in?

I am planning a seminar on Basic Spellbook Design for the World Boardgaming Championships at the end of July. If the group wants to contribute, then I could include ideas into my seminar materials and publish the results.

Perhaps we start up a new forum folder for this discussion?

Yes, good idea.

It's very tricky building with core set x1 only. Without enchanter's wardstones you sometimes can't hold onto the enchantments you need long enough and you have to include a ton of extra copies, and without reinforce its really easy to destroy battle forge (although that's true of everyone since reinforce is a promo). I have a frugal fire wizard who puts forge in his corner zone and uses the gorgon archer, which I think should be viable but I haven't practiced with it in a while. The frugal priestess needs some testing, and the frugal beastmaster needs to be completely revamped. I already remade the frugal warlock. He couldn't depend on his battle forge and without the wardstones it was too easy to destroy his curses. So I made the frugal warlock more of a rush build and I will post it on the forums later.

Something I would really like to start working on are making spellbooks using only the core set and 1-2 expansions. I could probably make a lot more frugal spellbooks that way. So far using core set x1 only I've only been able to find one way to use each Mage except the priestess, which can either use a brogan centered strategy or a similar vampiress strategy. Vampiress is probably better since it uses fewer enchants, now that I think of it. Although brogan is still really good against forcemaster and anvil throne warlord.

I might also even try my hand at frugal domination.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:44:05 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »
As I said I think the posted books must not be core only. Maybe some of them should be. More important is that they play good and with style. Canine-swarm (including academy), face-melter, undoing wizard FM with grizzly-body, dwarf-tank... Those books. At best some proofed event-winners.
Besides I am not sure if I can help here with my books. I like them and have the feeling some are pretty solid, but maybe that relies on local meta or weaknesses I have not realized yet (for example haven't played them against all mages).

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Swiss Mage Wars Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2016, 09:35:08 AM »
In the meantime, maybe we should make other language editions of Mage Wars available on OCTGN. That way we can more easily encourage members of other Mage Wars forums to play online.

There is a German card pack for Mage Wars :)

But everything except the card images is still English.

I see you're the swiss MW ambasador!
Reicht dein Einfluss die weiter, westliche französichsprachige Genf?
... And do you know why the shops here can't get AW's products in a normal time, for a normal price?

My focus is the German speaking part of Europe, i.e. mostly Germany and the Zurich area. But if you’d like, feel free to fill out the Ambassador Application form on the AW website – would be great to have other Ambassadors in Switzerland! Also, feel free to enter the Mage Wars Switzerland facebook group and spread the word about it—it would be great to connect players from Switzerland irregardless of the language.

Also, I’m planning on doing a Swiss Mage Wars championship—help from Geneva to make this a true Swiss championship (and not just a Zurich championship) would be very welcome. :) You can find my email address below in the signature.
netzhuffle – Jannis Grimm, German Mage Wars Head Judge. headjudge@magewars.de

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
Introduction of Type 2 was actually the reason I quit MtG

what is type 2?

In Magic it's a format that only uses the 2 most recent blocks of cards. It became "Standard" and now Standard format includes the last three blocks of cards, but blocks are no longer 3 sets large. To play Standard, you only build your deck out of the cards from the legal blocks.
... i prefere to wait 5 years for a new set than see MW come to that...
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
Introduction of Type 2 was actually the reason I quit MtG

what is type 2?

In Magic it's a format that only uses the 2 most recent blocks of cards. It became "Standard" and now Standard format includes the last three blocks of cards, but blocks are no longer 3 sets large. To play Standard, you only build your deck out of the cards from the legal blocks.
... i prefere to wait 5 years for a new set than see MW come to that...

Just to be clear, I was simply outlining what "Type 2" is. Mage Wars has no intention to go to a set rotation model. Right now we're trying to stay focused on getting into a good rhythm and keep producing great sets for everyone.

Just to reiterate, I was just trying to explain what "Type 2" was, not advocating for Mage Wars to adopt it. Just to be fair.