April 17, 2024, 11:14:36 PM

Author Topic: Teaching Mage Wars  (Read 8809 times)

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Mage Wars
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 01:34:23 AM »
I only explain keywords as they come up.
I wish it were that easy!
For me this has never worked when teaching the game. New players _always_ ask about keywords during their planning phases. And how could they not? How are they supposed to decide which cards to play if they don't know the exact effects?

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 05:01:30 AM »
I usually throw beginners directly into full games of arena and start this with explaining an overview: Idea and goal of the game (mages fight to death in the arena with different strategies), that mages and schools are different, that you pick cards from a normally self-build spellbook and play thorough phases.
Then I show starters the 4 prebuild core-spellbooks and and what types of cards are in there and how those mages feel like without any detail. After about 10-15 minutes we are here and they choose a mage.
Then I go through the setup, symbols on the cards, phases and boardmarkers and some basic strategies (rush, swarm, economic first, trying to get mana and/or action advantage).

From there on we play a semi-secret game. For sure there are many questions about keywords and rules and I will see my opponents book and cards to explain. So I pretend (also to myself) I don't know what my opponent is planning. When he or she made mistakes I let them switch cards or rethink the idea (fireball on burnoroof, shoot through wall, melee-only-defense instead of anti-ranged). The game is completely vabout getting the feeling of what is possible.
This way it is fun and has a manageable learning curve. I can try out some new openings so it is not boring at all. So far I had a very good experience that way. The main point is: let them play and help just when needed in a gentle manner!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
When I teach, I try to integrate keywords in to game play. I.E. this creature has the Fast trait, and I quickly explain what it means and how to use it. Same way when they reveal a card, and it has a keyword and they haven't asked about it yet, I give a quick once over on it and how they might use it, and I then move on.

The main thing I try to do while teaching, is to keep it moving, minimize analysis paralysis, and give a good feel for the game. Also make sure the "minis" types, know that is a kill the king game or otherwise they might try to summon every creature of the spellbook.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
I created an Apprentice mode version of the Codex to make it easier for new players using the apprentice mages. It is available on the BGG site.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

rodrinat

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
I created an Apprentice mode version of the Codex to make it easier for new players using the apprentice mages. It is available on the BGG site.

Can you post or send me the link plz?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
I only explain keywords as they come up.
I wish it were that easy!
For me this has never worked when teaching the game. New players _always_ ask about keywords during their planning phases. And how could they not? How are they supposed to decide which cards to play if they don't know the exact effects?

I have used the "How to Teach..." document guidelines with great success. One weekend, a friend and I taught a dozen people how to play that way. This uses half of an arena and starter books. We taught them key words when the spell came into play. We just told them not to worry about it for a first game, and that they would learn more about each as they played. The guidelines are to help them understand what they need to do to win and then walk through a turn, suggesting that they start with a piece of equipment and/or a creature... there are almost no conjurations in the starting books.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

Can you post or send me the link plz?

Here is the Boardgamegeek.com link. You may need to be a member to download files.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120066/mage-wars-apprentice-codex-2015

Here is my Dropbox link to the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7z6sxpsx7wnza5/Mage%20Wars%20Apprentice%20Codex%20-%202015-01.pdf?dl=0

Arcane Wonders also has the Apprentice Full Card Spellbooks available so players can read the spells before playing. They are located on the Tournament HQ page here  http://www.arcanewonders.com/news/tournaments.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin