March 28, 2024, 04:09:03 AM

Author Topic: Enchantments on Enchantments  (Read 14238 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Enchantments on Enchantments
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:59:51 AM »
How do we keep track of this?

A creature has 2 face down enchantments. First enchantment has an enchantment on it?!?!?
Will it not look like the creature has 3 enchantments on it? flipping it sideways seems like it will make cluttered zones even more cluttered.

Whats the point with going in this direction in the first place? I cant see how it will improve the game.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Enchantments on Enchantments
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:07:52 AM »
cause equipment should be protected somehow in academy i assume

and it finally lets protect your enchantments in a way it shifts the strength from equipment a bit into the direction of enchantments, cause pre academy a  nullify protected your equipment, but now with crumble you need a nullify and a ward to protect it against dissolve and crumble and will never be action efficient. but you can protect your forcefield better for enchantments

and it had always been possible: decoy, just there was no point in it, btu you could do it

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 06:06:19 AM »
I think using mana counters could be used to keep stuff neat and tidy.
You just mark the enchantment/objects by putting counters when cast and during normal game process it doesn't change anything. Just when a dispel happens you can detach and use that to identify stuff.

Check screenshot . Maybe that's an idea ? Not having been in situation where Arcane Ward / Decoy were relevant.

P.S.:
Screenshots quality is very bad sorry....had to resize it because there is a totally annoying 128kb (wtf!) size limit for attachments.

How do we keep track of this?

A creature has 2 face down enchantments. First enchantment has an enchantment on it?!?!?
Will it not look like the creature has 3 enchantments on it? flipping it sideways seems like it will make cluttered zones even more cluttered.

Whats the point with going in this direction in the first place? I cant see how it will improve the game.
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »
We have been working on that from an OCTGN perspective. The upcoming release will not add this support in, but the next release should. We are thinking that an attached Enchantment on an Enchantment should splay underneath to the right or left of the target Enchantment.

I do not think that there is an official ruling on this, though there should be (IMHO) before tourney season starts.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »
For events (both academy and arena), an enchantment attached to an enchantment will need to be 90 degrees from the enchantment it's attached to.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:14:28 AM by Laddinfance »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »

We have been working on that from an OCTGN perspective. The upcoming release will not add this support in, but the next release should. We are thinking that an attached Enchantment on an Enchantment should splay underneath to the right or left of the target Enchantment.

I do not think that there is an official ruling on this, though there should be (IMHO) before tourney season starts.

At Sike: It would be awesome if enchantments on mages would be placed next to the equipment, just as we do in real games. Not really sure how to program this easily but I'm sure it can be done.

90% of all the enchantments, both buffs and curses, are on mages anyway and it would clear the zones a lot. If you cast a ward on a forcefield lying next to equipment it will be very easy to see.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
That was how things were done before the attachment system was implemented. The problem is the "attached" cards are analyzed by the Battle Calculator for buffs/debuffs. If the cards are to the side of the table there is really no clean way to do this bit of the work.

We do give the option to turn off the BC and Attachments so you could do that and place the cards to the side of the board.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »

At Sike: It would be awesome if enchantments on mages would be placed next to the equipment, just as we do in real games. Not really sure how to program this easily but I'm sure it can be done.

90% of all the enchantments, both buffs and curses, are on mages anyway and it would clear the zones a lot. If you cast a ward on a forcefield lying next to equipment it will be very easy to see.

no to next to equipment, leave it on mage. I also do it that way in real life. I find it much less confusing to check for a nullify on my target creature if the target create always have it next to it and not on the side of the board, not making differences between mage and other creature. (it also messes more with: is this facedown card there your hand or your enchantment?)

also for destroy magic, enchantment transfuse ... it is simpler and more overview if those enchantments are in the zone.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
Newbie question: can somebody please give an example where I would want to have an enchantment on an enchantment? I could see Nullify attached to a weapon, but Nullify indicates the target must be a corporeal creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »
Newbie question: can somebody please give an example where I would want to have an enchantment on an enchantment? I could see Nullify attached to a weapon, but Nullify indicates the target must be a corporeal creature.

arcane ward is kind of like nullify and it is non-mage object. so you can counter that dispel

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

arcane ward is kind of like nullify and it is non-mage object. so you can counter that dispel

Ah gotcha- that makes total sense. Thank you!
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
As I'm reading through these various posts, it would help a lot of the online SBB was updated to include Domination and Academy cards.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
For events (both academy and arena), an enchantment attached to an enchantment will need to be 90 degrees from the enchantment it's attached to.

And enchantments attached to another enchantment that is already attached?

Start to flip them back again?

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »

And enchantments attached to another enchantment that is already attached?

Start to flip them back again?

i feel that shifting to the side is better in this sense

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »
That was how things were done before the attachment system was implemented. The problem is the "attached" cards are analyzed by the Battle Calculator for buffs/debuffs. If the cards are to the side of the table there is really no clean way to do this bit of the work.

We do give the option to turn off the BC and Attachments so you could do that and place the cards to the side of the board.

Just a random thought to solve this:
How about adding 1 extra zone to each side of the Arena. (so two in total) Each enchantment in zone 1 could be linked to mage 1 and vice versa for zone 2.

If you don't like these zones you could of course still use the current method.

Since you already have a way to automate zone enchantments I think it's not extremely hard to automatically link every enchantment in a particular zone to a particular mage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:47:54 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.