April 16, 2024, 07:00:26 AM

Author Topic: (Hurl rock vs.) Hurl Boulder vs. Hurl meteor  (Read 5574 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
(Hurl rock vs.) Hurl Boulder vs. Hurl meteor
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:33:49 AM »
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1A03]Hurl Meteorite[/mwcard]
4 mana
8 mana
12 mana
5 dice
7 dice
9 dice
9+ daze
8+ slam
5-8 daze, 9+ stun
1 zone
2 zones
3 zones
1 spellbook point
2 spellbook points
3 spellbook points

At first sight, they seem pretty balanced. for 4 extra mana and an extra spb you get 2 extra dice. A slightly better effect die and most importantly, 1 extra range.

But:
The biggest difference between hurl meteor is the full cast.
- You are not able to use it during first/last qc.
- You cannot move, or use your melee attack. (and since you just cast a 12 mana spell, a free melee attack would be nice)
- The 3-zone range isn't a real advantage since you can simply come closer and use the boulder instead.

The only situation were you can ever use the meteor is when you REALLY do not want to come any closer.

I could see the meteor being usefull without it being a full cast, but the fc seems like a dealbreaker. Why was it designed like that?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:36:23 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: (Hurl rock vs.) Hurl Boulder vs. Hurl meteor
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »
There are other Elemental Schools with similar spells:

Dragon's Breath (Fire) -> 8 Dice for 12 Mana (2/3 dice per mana) + up to 4 Burn eventually
-> Hawkeye, Fireshaper Ring, Curses from Adramelech Warlock ... and you roll 12 Dice for 12 Mana.
(very action costly preparation, armor is efficient against 2 separate attacks, but burn is the main reason to use this spell, best burn probability of all fire spells)

Thunderbolt (Air)  -> 6 Dice for 10 Mana (3/5 dice per mana) + Daze/Stun eventually
-> Hawkeye, Lightning Ring, Staff of Storms ... and you roll up to 12 Dice (Stun 3+) for 10 Mana.
(very action costly preparation, high amount of dice negates high Armor)

and Hurl Meteorite (Earth) -> 9 Dice for 12 Mana (3/4 dice per mana) + Daze/Stun eventually
-> Hawkeye .. and you roll 10 Dice
(less Equipment needed, high amount of dice negates high Armor)

On the first look, they cost a lot of mana for the raw dice they can do, but you can buff them with equipment and enchantments to a very deadly level. And there are 2 other good things about them:
1) Range 3 is a very big advantage. You can force the enemy to come to you or surprise your opponent.
2) Full Cast can be a disadvantage, but also a advantage. These spells cannot be blocked by Jinx.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »

Dragon's Breath (Fire) -> 8 Dice for 12 Mana (2/3 dice per mana) + up to 4 Burn eventually
-> Hawkeye, Fireshaper Ring, Curses from Adramelech Warlock ... and you roll 12 Dice for 12 Mana.
(very action costly preparation, armor is efficient against 2 separate attacks, but burn is the main reason to use this spell, best burn probability of all fire spells)

Thunderbolt (Air)  -> 6 Dice for 10 Mana (3/5 dice per mana) + Daze/Stun eventually
-> Hawkeye, Lightning Ring, Staff of Storms ... and you roll up to 12 Dice (Stun 3+) for 10 Mana.

and Hurl Meteorite (Earth) -> 9 Dice for 12 Mana (3/4 dice per mana) + Daze/Stun eventually

On the first look, they cost a lot of mana for the raw dice they can do, but you can buff them with equipment and enchantments to a very deadly level. And there are 2 other good things about them:
1) Range 3 is a very big advantage. You can force the enemy to come to you or surprise your opponent.
2) Full Cast can be a disadvantage, but also a advantage. These spells cannot be blocked by Jinx.

atm I'm using the warlord a lot, that's why it's about the rocks. ;)

The buffs also cost a lot of actions/mana and give the same boost to lower level spells.
adramelech warlord + fire ring + hawkeye + marked for death with a flameblast is 8 dice for 5 mana or with a fireball 10 dice for 8 mana which seems even better then with the high level spells.

But in which situation would you actually cast the meteor? And why would you not just take a move action and cast the boulder? preferable warlord related. If not, wizard. :)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
Meteor could come into play if you're cursed (enfeeble, chains of agony). As mentioned before, jinx won't stop these spells either. Saw puddnhead put that too great effect in his mage roars game
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

BigL16

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
Maybe to try and take down a Wizards Tower without getting in range of it.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:51:25 AM »
Some Mages have problems cracking a mage using turtle tactics. These spells can really help you. Just bind them on an Elemental Wand and you have the upper hand.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »

atm I'm using the warlord a lot, that's why it's about the rocks. ;)

The buffs also cost a lot of actions/mana and give the same boost to lower level spells.
adramelech warlord + fire ring + hawkeye + marked for death with a flameblast is 8 dice for 5 mana or with a fireball 10 dice for 8 mana which seems even better then with the high level spells.

But in which situation would you actually cast the meteor? And why would you not just take a move action and cast the boulder? preferable warlord related. If not, wizard. :)
When both of you are close to death and the other has ran away from you. You can stay out of range (say from a Wizards tower or Temple of Light) and put the hurt on them. And as noted turtles hate these spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »
alright, good points! thanks guys.

It's not a good thing for every book. But now I see why some books can make good use of it. ^^

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
I've got a druid that uses the vine tree to lock down the enemy mage with its 6 tanglevines. Mid game with astral anchor she can stay at range 3 and throw a meteorite every turn then attack with creatures. Reset the tanglevine and reposition when needed. Destroys solo mage builds, admittedly action heavy/mana heavy but it works.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 07:08:53 AM »
Also, if it was a QC, you could move from the range 4 and cast it at range 3. That's pretty damn strong for something that stun 1/3 of times.