April 30, 2024, 02:30:56 AM

Author Topic: The 2015 Gen Con World Championship Report!!!!  (Read 8763 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
The 2015 Gen Con World Championship Report!!!!
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:41 AM »
It is with great pleasure that I use my 1,000th post on these forums to bring you the results of the 2015 Gen Con Mage Wars Arena Championship!!!

I'd like to preface by saying that while I have the names of all competitors I do not have the full listing of Player to Mage in front of me. That paper work aspect of the tournament was the biggest hurdle and spell book lists got shuffled around or kept by their mages due to their requests. I will have that information soon enough and will update this post as more information comes in. So please have some patience and we'll get this done  ;D Ok now on with the show.

Players:

Hanma: Wizard(Water) 6-1   CHAMPION
John Ambriz: Wizard(Water)
Ryan Dillon: Beast Master 1-3
Shadow: Wizard(Earth) 3-2
Tim McCurry: Wizard(Earth) 5-2  2ND PLACE
Jack Brickman: Wizard(Air) 0-5
Sharkbait: Adramelech Warlock 3-2
John Mehring: Force Master
TrentMagus: Force Master 4-2 4TH PLACE
Raymond Slover: Druid 3-2
Justin Bailey: Johktari Beast Master  2-3
Brandon Waite: Johktari Beast Master 2-3 
Jordan Corbin: Straywood Beast Master  2-1(Withdrew)
Greg DieckHaus: Priestess 5-1 3RD PLACE
Tyler Howsore: 1-3 Necromancer
James Schrader 1-2(Withdrew)
DaveW: Straywood Beast Master 3-2

Of the three listed who's mages I don't remember off the top of my head one was playing a Necromancer and another a Straywood Beast Master. There were no Warlords, Priests, or Arraxian Crown Warlocks.

As you can see the tournament was dominated by Wizards. I was pleased to see the two Johktari and surprised by the lack of Warlords honestly. It should be noted that neither Academy nor Domination were legal for this tournament though both were for sale at the Arcane Wonders booth. Obviously as most players hadn't had a chance to purchase these sets before Gen Con it was decided they would be non-sanctioned for this event so as to not allow for unfair advantages. Overall I saw very good sportsmanship(yes there was an exception) and I saw nothing but well played games and a lot of really inventive spell books. Very few rules questions disputes as well for which I was surprised(I said very few not none however lol.)

Promo Cards that were handed out in Rounds 1-4 were in order:

Alternate Art Adramelech Warlock
Blur
Ankh of Asyra
Alternate Art Anvil Throne Warlord

Interviews were conducted by Arcane Duels throughout the event and the weekend actually. You REALLY REALLY want to watch those videos when they come out....especially one with a certain Mr. Pope...just saying.

This is the first part of this post. I will be processing the rest of the data through the day. I apologize for the incompleteness of it right now but it's Monday and my full time job is pressing for my immediate return today :) This will be finished as I can. I will post spellbooks for the 1st, 3rd, and 4th place mages later as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:49:16 AM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: The 2015 Gen Con World Championship Report!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
Congratulation for your 1000th post! Also, big thanks for your report and info about what guys from Arcane Duels are up to in next few days :)

I was expecting at least one Anvil Throne Warlord but it seems, that Wizard is still very preferable option when its about Tournament enviroment.

I swear i will work hard to became filthy rich enough to be able to fly to Gencon 2016 and participate with my Paladin mage :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
World championship???
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
The interview with Mr. Pope may or may not concern what Mages are coming out after PvS, among other things  ::)
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Concerning the interview with Mr. Pope, I would hazard a guess that it is a MAY as opposed to a may not... I look forward to it!
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »
DaveW 2-3

Of the three listed who's mages I don't remember off the top of my head one was playing a Necromancer and another a Straywood Beast Master. There were no Warlords, Priests, or Arraxian Crown Warlocks.

DaveW actually was 3-2... I thought I turned in the final result, but perhaps I didn't. I played Jack in the final round.

I was a Straywood Beastmaster.

Thanks for running the show.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
. Yes, thanks for running the event. Was a great time. Congrats to Hanma for his win. I knew if we were going to play each other, it was going to be a very difficult fight. I had a shot to win outright, but came up short. At that point I knew we were likely to go the distance on time. I thought that since we were close on life totals at the end, there was going to be another window of opportunity. I was setting myself up for that window for the last four rounds of the match. But he made a very great double move on his last action, which prevented my last chance. He had the iniative and used it properly and solidified the match. Again, congrats Nick.

Tim
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:53:29 PM by zot »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:33:38 PM »
Dave I updated your info, I had you as 3-2 in the paper but typed it in wrong I apologize. Thanks for the correction.

Zot you fought a mans fight the entire tournament. You had some tough fights but impressed us all not only with your skill but your sportsmanship as well sir.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:11:42 AM »
You have me (Tyler Howsare) listed as 0-4, but I was 1-3.  Lost to forcemaster and beastmaster, beat a wizard, then lost to a johktari beastmaster.

I was the necromancer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:25:43 AM by vlad3theimpaler »

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
Ryan Dillion was 1-3 Drop, and was the Wolf Beastmaster.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
The tournament was fantastic and I want to congratulate everyone for putting on a great show.

We have multiple clips from every match except a few, those matches ended too quickly for us to get around to them.

We have interviews from the judges, players, the top 4 players, and the Arcane Wonders staff. Bryan Pope's interview will NOT disappoint, that's all I'm saying.  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
We have interviews from the judges, players, the top 4 players, and the Arcane Wonders staff. Bryan Pope's interview will NOT disappoint, that's all I'm saying.  ;)

I guess that depends on how you're looking at it. ;-)

gdieckhaus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
Was nice to put a face to everyone's name and get to play some of the best mage warriors around.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
Was nice to put a face to everyone's name and get to play some of the best mage warriors around.

Haus, it was awesome meeting you. Quite the privilege.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:11 PM »

I guess that depends on how you're looking at it. ;-)

Seriously people watch the video so we can start talking about this already. Screw it in for a penny in for a pound I say.