March 28, 2024, 10:30:16 AM

Author Topic: Core set (old?) vs Arena Core set?  (Read 4790 times)

MuRRe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Core set (old?) vs Arena Core set?
« on: May 10, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
What is this "new" Arena Core set?
I was about to getting into Mage Wars about 1.5 years ago and now when I look I'm really confused where to start.

Thanks in advance

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Core set (old?) vs Arena Core set?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »
The Arena Core Set is the 4th printing of the Core Set. The first 3 printings used the old name, and the 4th uses the new name and has a few extra copies of some spells to make building multiple spellbooks easier. If you can get the 4th print run, go for it. If all you can get is the 3rd, no harm done, that's what most of us own already.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
The "Arena" name attached to the box is to help diferentiate it from the upcoming Mage Wars "Academy" set.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

MuRRe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »
I actually bought the game used (but still in shrink wrap) the other day. Arena Core set + Battlegrounds Domination.

Found a great deal on used old Core set + Druid vs Necro (basically 50% of the price if buying Arena Core set + Expansion new).

Just seems to I should just get it even though the card distribution is a little worse, the price seems to good pass on?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
Arena core set = Mage Wars core set indeed. There are some very minor changes between editions like a different subtype on a card or some more markers but other than that, the boxes are the same. Your version is newer and thus more up to date than his. I also think the sets have a different map. (Westlock for the old and Straywood forest for the new?)

I own the second edition core set so I don't know exactly what's new.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
I know in the 4th printing some of the cards have erattas, and there are a few cards with different art.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
Here's the complete list of changes from previous editions to the 4th edition (when the Arena rebranding happened).

- New Art on spellbooks, game board, rulebook, box, and several cards
- Game Board folds in a different way so as to fit in the new, more compact box
- Some new tokens added. Previously they just said to use whatever you had at hand for tokens (different from markers which were always provided) but they got a lot of complaints that tokens weren't included, so they added them. These include wrath tokens, rage tokens, melee +1 tokens, and several others.
- 14 additional cards. These are: +1 Dragonscale Hauberk, +1 Feral Bobcat, +1 Leather Boots, +1 Leather Gloves, +1 Minor Heal, +1 Regrowth Belt, +1 Teleport, +1 Thunderift Falcon, +2 Dispel, +2 Dissolve, +2 Force Push.

In addition, like every previous edition, all of the cards have the most recent errata baked into them at the time of the printing. You can find all errata for all of the cards in the Official Rules and Codex Supplement. (also, when I say all of the cards, very few have actually received errata).

MuRRe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »
Here's the complete list of changes from previous editions to the 4th edition (when the Arena rebranding happened).

- New Art on spellbooks, game board, rulebook, box, and several cards
- Game Board folds in a different way so as to fit in the new, more compact box
- Some new tokens added. Previously they just said to use whatever you had at hand for tokens (different from markers which were always provided) but they got a lot of complaints that tokens weren't included, so they added them. These include wrath tokens, rage tokens, melee +1 tokens, and several others.
- 14 additional cards. These are: +1 Dragonscale Hauberk, +1 Feral Bobcat, +1 Leather Boots, +1 Leather Gloves, +1 Minor Heal, +1 Regrowth Belt, +1 Teleport, +1 Thunderift Falcon, +2 Dispel, +2 Dissolve, +2 Force Push.

In addition, like every previous edition, all of the cards have the most recent errata baked into them at the time of the printing. You can find all errata for all of the cards in the Official Rules and Codex Supplement. (also, when I say all of the cards, very few have actually received errata).

Wow, thanks for the breakdown.

"- 14 additional cards. These are: +1 Dragonscale Hauberk, +1 Feral Bobcat, +1 Leather Boots, +1 Leather Gloves, +1 Minor Heal, +1 Regrowth Belt, +1 Teleport, +1 Thunderift Falcon, +2 Dispel, +2 Dissolve, +2 Force Push."

Since I already have on Arena Core set it should be fine with an old core set to add as the 2nd old core set right?
I will be able to at least build 2-3 competitive spell books without getting constraints from the core sets?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:21:39 PM by MuRRe »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Yep. You should be fine.