April 27, 2024, 01:33:00 PM

Author Topic: On the practical costs and benefits of announcing your moves and their effects  (Read 2637 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I know it sounds like something cheesy and unprofessional straight out of shows like yugioh, but I have a theory that announcing your moves and their effects as they happen is actually a good practice because

1. It helps the spectators better follow the admittedly complex gameplay, freeing up the  actual commentators to discuss other things besides how the game works. This is especially useful when there are more games than commentators. This may also singlehandedly make Mage Wars spectatorship accessible to non-Mage Wars players
2. Because it sounds friggin cool and would make games of Mage Wars much more entertaining to watch.

There are some difficulties with calling your moves and their effects, though.

1. If you haven't already made calling your moves and their effects into a habit, then it will take extra concentration to do so until you have learned to do it habitually
2. Some moves and effects can be rather complicated, too complicated to completely explain in the middle of a game!

The solution to 1 seems to be just practicing announcing your moves and their effects as they happen until they've become a habit.

The solution to 2 seems to be to just explain the effects of your moves when they become relevant, no sooner, no later.

Examples:
"I summon Darkfenne Hydra." but you don't explain Triplestrike trait until you have the hydra attack with Triple Bite. And when you explain it you just say something like "Triple Bite has Triplestrike, so it can be used to attack your creature *three* times." Likewise you don't explain the Hydra's regenerate 2 trait until the upkeep phase in which it occurs. Even if you have more than one creature with regenerate 2, it still might be a good idea to remind the spectators once or twice.

If you make a move that directly and explicitly gives regenerate 2 to another creature or conjuration, then you would announce that they gained regenerate 2, but you would not explain it until it is used.

"I reveal an enchantment on myself--regrowth. This gives me regenerate 2."
Then as soon as it's the upkeep phase you say something like: "Since I have regenerate 2, I heal 2 damage during the upkeep phase."

If you summon a hydra for the first time in the game, you don't explain its regenerate trait until it uses the trait to heal, regardless of whether you've already explained the trait on another creature or not. You do not need to explain the regenerate trait the moment the hydra is summoned.

This might seem complicated but it's really not. Most of this is just having the sense to know what needs to be said and what doesn't, and any good Mage Wars player will probably have a pretty good idea of what's actually relevant to mention in the present moment and what's not.

So really the main obstacle is just getting more people to practice doing this and make it a habit so it doesn't take any effort.

Thoughts?

PS I also suspect that this is the true reason shows like yugioh have characters call their attacks and effects: because it makes it easier for viewers to follow it and it looks friggin cool.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:19:40 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
I do this in real life. It's a habit I got into long before Mage Wars because I'm constantly teaching games to new people, and I find it really helpful to them for me to walk through my turns. My partner, Tyler, actually picks on me all the time for my refrain of "Initiative passes, everything resets, channel your mana..." But unless someone points it out or asks me to stop, it just happens without me thinking about it.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I do this in real life. It's a habit I got into long before Mage Wars because I'm constantly teaching games to new people, and I find it really helpful to them for me to walk through my turns. My partner, Tyler, actually picks on me all the time for my refrain of "Initiative passes, everything resets, channel your mana..." But unless someone points it out or asks me to stop, it just happens without me thinking about it.

Lol. Although I gotta admit that that particular refrain doesn't sound as cool as "My turn! Draw!" or "My turn! Stand/Untap and draw!"

Maybe it would sound cooler if instead you said "It's my/your initiative! Reset creatures and channel!"
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm not sure my narration would actually make for good entertainment. I try to not be monotone, but it is kind of mantra like, lol. If anything, my tone is like talking softly to a child, since the habit does stem from teaching mode rather than something akin to sports commentator, lol. Still, it is a habit that I actually partake in, so just leading credibility to the concept. People can definitely self narrate and have it become second nature.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
During games I do like to narrate games and announcing actions is a great habit so that your opponent knows you are doing the actions correctly.  Or if you need to be corrected.

I also think announcing an action also gives your opponent time to see if an enchantment is going to be revealed. 

The most important thing announcing does is that it can help you remember things by simple repetitiion. 

Great topic Sailor Vulcan!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I agree that this is good practice. I am a big fan of clarity in games, it's no fun for your opponent or spectators if they do not know what is going on.

Like Zuberi I already do this in real life games to an extend. In octgn it would be a bit more cumbersome as you have to type it out, I would be willing to try it out though.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard