April 28, 2024, 04:10:14 AM

Author Topic: Thoughtspore with Sleep  (Read 10249 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Thoughtspore with Sleep
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »
A couple of days ago I thought of an alternative tactic I can use with my Forcemaster book and it struck me as potentially very powerful so, I'd like to hear any external thoughts on it. Maybe I'm missing something.

The Ingredients are Wall of Bones, Thoughtspore and Sleep.

If the match-up seems perfect for it ( like eg a Beastmaster or Priest(ess) ), the idea is to play a Thoughtspore R1 or R2 and put Sleep on it.

Then Force Pull or Force Push the enemy mage in a corner zone and slap down two Wall of Bones around it cutting his LOS to the rest of the arena.

Put anything that can harm the Thoughtspore to sleep immediately.

Without LOS to any creatures which are asleep outside the walls he can't awake them with a ranged spell.

Then, if the enemy mage :
1- summons another creature in his corner : put it to sleep
2- attacks a sleeping friendly creature to awaken it : put it to sleep immediately afterwards
3- Attacks my Forcemaster : good luck trying to outhit a Forcemaster

I haven't played this tactic yet but I can see this being especially powerful against buddy builds or builds who plan on using just a couple of Creatures. Enchanted Guardian Angels or Cerveres suddenly going to sleep without a chance to awaken them seems pretty gamechanging and decisive to me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:39:49 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughtspore with Sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »
Be aware of non-living creatures which are psychic immune :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
Be aware of non-living creatures which are psychic immune :)
I modified my OP somewhat - highlighted and underlined some text :)

What I also maybe didn't point out enough in my OP is that it's not really the Thoughtspore+Sleep combination which I find so powerful but being cut off at the same time by two durable walls ( 12 life ) in a corner zone which possible makes for a deadly combination. There's no escape from it unless you destroy a Wall or the Forcemaster first and it also makes it very difficult to deal with the Thoughtspore who will have at least a Block or Brace Yourself on him at range 2.

Being face to face with a Forcemaster in one closed off zone with no possibility to move is not very promising for the other mage.

Having a teleport on the Thoughtspore might just be as effective in this situation.
You could wall off the other mage and then have the Forcemaster Teleported in and every other threat Teleported out of it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:27:35 PM by Borg »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »
What about quick summoning? Beastmaster can summon two creatures per round you've only got one sleep on a spore?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
What about quick summoning? Beastmaster can summon two creatures per round you've only got one sleep on a spore?
Doublestrike/kill the lvl1 and put the other to sleep ? :) until he runs out of lvl1 critters ? :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:12:19 PM by Borg »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
Oh yeah forgot lol
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 06:44:23 PM »
I've thought about Sleepspores before. If the mage has a some sleeping creatures, a zone attack spell could wake them all up.
Remember to keep the thoughspore in a centre zone so he cant be force-pushed into an arena wall, thus removing the block, dealing damage, and showing that there is no nullify.

If you want to lean into the sleep effects, consider a [mwcard=DNJ06]Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard] in addition. Also a Mass Sleep if they already have a bunch of creatures out.

Also, there are very few psychic immune creatures which can effect fliers: Wolf Spider, Skeleton archer and zombified creatures might be all of them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:13:40 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
Also, there are very few psychic immune creatures which can effect fliers: Wolf Spider, Skeleton archer and zombified creatures might be all of them.

This is a good point. Still, some Mages can have psychic immune creatures that handle the ground battle, while the Mage itself can concentrate on the fliers. A Wizard, for example, might choose to use the Arcane Zap to trigger a Block/RA and then use a heavier attack spell to take out the thing while his Jellies / Golems ignore the things.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
A Wizard, for example, might choose to use the Arcane Zap to trigger a Block/RA and then use a heavier attack spell to take out the thing while his Jellies / Golems ignore the things.

I think most of us will agree that if you let the enemy mage within 1 zone of a thoughtspore, it deserves to die. Especially if the enemy mage isn't distracted. (arcane zap has a range of 1)

within 2 zones if the thoughtspore doesnt have a facedown enchantment.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:58:44 PM by echephron »

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:34:36 AM »
A thoughtspore with sleep is very uneffective against a one-man-army mage too ...

Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »
I think that the Forcemaster in general has some extremely powerful ways to effect what she wants on the battlefield (including Thoughtspore) and is greatly rewarded, even over other mages, for out-thinking your opponent.  If you can correctly ascertain what your opponent's overall strategy is, your book should have the answer for it.  For instance, it's a terrible idea to put a sleep on your Thoughtspore on turn 1 for the very reason that Schwenkgott says.  However, if you see a Lair go down or a big bad creature, then yes sleep is a decent choice.

All that to say that the best Forcemaster is going to drive toward the enemy correctly guessing what he/she will do in response and having a counter already prepared.  She's a really rewarding mage to play well.

I've got a best and worst for my Thoughtspore antics:

Best: Acid Ball vs. an armor stacker.  To be fair...he should have put more ranged attacks in his book  ::)

Worst: Seeking Dispel.  I never even cast it.  The only good that came out of it was that my opponent was scared to death what I might need all that mana for.  :P

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:35:37 PM »
A Wizard, for example, might choose to use the Arcane Zap to trigger a Block/RA and then use a heavier attack spell to take out the thing while his Jellies / Golems ignore the things.

I think most of us will agree that if you let the enemy mage within 1 zone of a thoughtspore, it deserves to die. Especially if the enemy mage isn't distracted. (arcane zap has a range of 1)

If the spore is going to have to get within two of the Wizard, the Wizard then could move one while casting the combo.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 02:11:13 AM »

If the spore is going to have to get within two of the Wizard, the Wizard then could move one while casting the combo.

You misunderstand me. I wasn't arguing with you(...though I guess I am now). If the enemy mage two zones away moves to one zone away from your thoughtspore...you just let him get within one zone, and the one zone away points apply.

If your thoughtspore needs to stay alive and be within 2 of the enemy mage(which is something i didnt discuss), you need to lockdown(eg forcehold or tanglevine) the mage and enchant the spore (most of the time).

Thoughtspores can function further from the enemy mage. example is forcepush(the target mage ends up being 3 zones away afterwards). the enemy mage might be hiding/stuck somewhere so you target other things and stay 3 zones away...

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »
Doublestrike/kill the lvl1 and put the other to sleep ? :) until he runs out of lvl1 critters ? :)

if they are both flying?

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
That's when you tell your second Thoughtspore to "Hit it with a Rock" ([mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]Hurl Rock[/mwcard])