April 28, 2024, 08:27:18 AM

Author Topic: Thoughtspore with Sleep  (Read 10250 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Thoughtspore with Sleep
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
I've always found my thoughtspores dying to unavoidable ranged attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Unavoidable is a trait that is only on ranged 1 attack spells (also on [mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]Surging Wave[/mwcard], but that can't hit the Thoughtspore anyway).  The exception being if they want to use a [mwcard=FWI08]Sniper Shot[/mwcard].  If you keep your spore 2 spaces away from an enemy mage and your Forcemaster between the two, you shouldn't have to deal with Unavoidable.

Protecting spores can be tricky, but I figure if they waste an equal amount of cards on my spore I've come out ahead because if they aren't dealing with my Forcemaster they are losing.  Just like a wand, every time you get to use the attached spell is value.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
Arc Lightning
Acid Blast
Sunfire Burst
Windstorm
Firestorm
Flameblast
Geyser
Surging Wave
Sandstorm

Are Attack Spells with either 0-1 or 0-2 Range and the Unavoidable trait
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
So, okay, let me clarify.  Of all the printed cards that have "unavoidable" that are not promos that are currently legal to play in a tournament only Surging Wave is range 0-2 and it cannot attack flying creatures.

If you are playing with Promos, only Sandstorm can hit a flying creature 2 zones away.  Sandstorm is incredibly powerful and will not see print as is.  A range 2, quick action, piercing, zone attack for 8 mana?  Not going to happen.

All that to say, as has been pointed out, positioning is crucial for a Forcemaster player.  That's why she's so good at it.  If you are playing well you will keep your Thoughtspores at Max range from their intended target and put a range 0-2 spell on them as well as something defensive (block being the cheapest and hence the reason for worrying about unavoidable) to protect them.

And hey, if they're using an unavoidable attack on your spore instead of your mage then your deflect has the potential to be more useful.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
While mostly true, a [mwcard=FWI08]Sniper Shot[/mwcard] comobo'ed with other 0-2 Ranged Attacks, either Weapon or Attack Spell Based does the job ([mwcard=MW1A04]Fireball[/mwcard]), most players figure this out after a couple of games once they learn to despise a Tportspore or Pushspore.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
It certainly isn't a bad idea to take out Thoughtspores.  The person playing the Forcemaster needs to make it less desirable to do so than alternative actions.  Making sure that your Galvitar swinging beast is up in their grill is the best option in my opinion.

If I have a Face Down enchant on my spore, then my opponent has to think long and hard about whether to potentially waste a primo attack spell and hope it isn't Block or has to combine both of his actions for the round to take it out with two spell cards.  This is assuming, of course, that I'm not stupid and leaving the spore within target range of an arcane zap.  Ideally, I have made it so that using a full turn to take out a spore is not a luxury that the opponent has.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 07:14:57 PM »
don't only use blocks/RA. Against smarter opponents, I find a brace yourself more successful at keeping an undamaged thoughtspore alive than a block. Try to alternate them.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
don't only use blocks/RA. Against smarter opponents, I find a brace yourself more successful at keeping an undamaged thoughtspore alive than a block. Try to alternate them.

Agree here.

It makes most sense imo to play a Block first and stop an entire attack, then play Brace Yourself in anticipation of your opponent's upcoming unavoidable attack.

But of course if your opponent "knows" you're going to play a block first, he may attack you with an unavoidable attack, so maybe you should switch it up as well and go Brace Yourself first ... mind games :) ... Forcemaster ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:41:19 AM by Borg »