April 28, 2024, 08:49:55 PM

Author Topic: Objective-based game modes?  (Read 4451 times)

Downloaded

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Objective-based game modes?
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has come up with any objective-based variants for MW?  I am a big fan of League of Legends and the more I think about it the more I see potential for similar tropes to be added in a game mode for Mage Wars either in a King of the Hill type setting, or changing the win condition to destroying an opponent's bastion at the opposite end of the arena with a couple of indestructible walls arranged along the way to make movement even more of a puzzle, or neutral buildings to capture for a buff or two.  Players frequently get multiple units on the board in Mage Wars that allow for multiple objectives to be approached at once, which could be really fun!  Any thoughts or suggestions this community may have would be really great :).  Thanks!

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Objective-based game modes?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
This is partially what battlegrounds is.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
Here are some ideas that might or might not work:

- The said bastion is a conjuration of the player's choice;
- Objective: Control your opponent's conjuration;
- Each Mage has a limited amount of spellbook points (say 15) to build his initial setting: this includes the chosen conjuration and some additionnal defense around it (cretaures, walls, other conjurations, traps, etc.)  All these chosen spells are in play at the start of the game;
- Each mage can have a creature (the same or a different one) that constantly guards its friendly bastion, similar to the guards in Domination. Cannot be pushed or teleported away;
- Flying creatures would lose their flying trait when close to or in the bastion's zone;
- Maybe the walls can have some additional armor.

That's everything I can think of right now.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
Here are some ideas that might or might not work:

- Each Mage has a limited amount of spellbook points (say 15) to build his initial setting: this includes the chosen conjuration and some additionnal defense around it (cretaures, walls, other conjurations, traps, etc.)  All these chosen spells are in play at the start of the game;

The really good conjurations are really expensive. Lair is 15 points, Graveyard is 14.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »

The really good conjurations are really expensive. Lair is 15 points, Graveyard is 14.

I'm thinking spellbook points, not mana cost.

Also, the point is not to destroy the conjuration or even to use it. The conjuration itself is not important, the objective is to control it, so you probably want to invest more spellbook points to protect it.

Moloch

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
Why not go ALL IN?

A weekend long battle of 3v3 or 5v5 mages on a custom LoL themed board?

Soooooooooo many possibilitys, I just had to draw a the map(hope upload works)

It has 32 spaces, not very much for 6-10 Mages and all distances are still short.
Movement rules in magewars work very well for non-squared fields.
Midlane is short for some ranged ap-carry action while top and bot have an extra space for trading blows.

Some additional rules for Summoners Rift Mage Wars:
-The huge base zone can hold multiple zone exclusive conjurations. it contains the nexus corporeal conjuration.
- The stars mark walls with the passage blocked trait, also indestructible
- borders of Jungle spaces block line of sigth (white marks) so you have to step into lane to put spells on your opponent/gank
- Base zone spawns a goblin grunt and a goblin slinger each turn for each lane(they just move and attack).
-Channeling of Mages is reduced to 3 for mages with channel 9 and 4 (channel 10 mages). Lasthitting enemy goblins gives a reward of 5 mana (melee+1 trait is very good)
- Kills reward lots of mana
- spawn neutral bobcats/other beasts in jungle for 5 mana reward as well
- some form of respawn and healing at base
- Vinesnapper as turrets?
- Supports can build mana flowers/crystals and enchant/heal/buff the carry who gets the lasthits
- good to have a tp to gank
- to many ideas...need to stop writing...

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
Moloch I would totally play this with you, just sayin' :D
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard