April 30, 2024, 12:22:17 PM

Author Topic: Codex Update: Sweeping  (Read 14657 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Codex Update: Sweeping
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
I haven't scanned the entirety of the newly released Codex, but since the very first few pages stated that Sweeping had been clarified I did take a look at it. Overall, I think it is an improvement, but it could still cause some confusion with the following passages:
Quote from: Complete Codex
When a Flying creature uses a Sweeping attack, if the first target has Flying, the second target must also have Flying. Similarly, if the first target does not have Flying, the second target must also not have Flying.

If a creature uses a Sweeping attack that also has Reach or a Sweeping ranged attack, then the above restriction does not apply; the second target can be Flying or non-Flying, independent of the first target.

From what I understand, Reach does not negate the above restriction like this says. The only thing that Reach does is allow you to attack a Flying target, which flyers can already do. It thus has no effect on flyers. A Flying creature with Reach would have to attack only flyers with their Sweeping attack, because Reach does not allow them to attack non-flyers.

Now, a non-flyer with Reach could attack both, but the listed restriction does not apply to non-flyers anyways. Meaning, all mention of Reach is still unwarranted. A flyer who attacks a non-flyer loses the flying trait, and would then be able to utilize Reach to hit a second flying target with their Sweeping attack, but since they are now a non-flyer themselves and there is no restriction preventing a non-flyer from doing such a thing anyways, they don't need a special clause to over come a non-existent restriction.

This has actually all been discussed beforehand, which is why I'm a little confused by the update. Unless you guys have changed your stance on this, and are going to allow flyers to attack non-flyers without losing the flying trait first, then the codex entry should omit the mention of Reach entirely and only specify that ranged Sweeping attacks allow you to negate the stated restriction on flyers.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Update: Sweeping
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
It reads like reach is being more explicitly broadened to essentially 'cross the land/air divide' in both directions:

Currently the codex states that reach allows melee attacks to target and attack flying creatures in that zone (otherwise prevented unless creature has flying). 

So following the logic without the sweeping/reach clarifications

Flying creatures attacks ground creature - looses flying - goes to attack flying creature with second attack from sweep...can't as it's lost flying.  Reach as written allows the melee attack from a non-flying creature to attack a flying creature. Sorted.

What feels new is:

Flying creature attacks flying creature - sweeping clarification states that second sweep attack must be flying; expect that reach allows the attack to be on a ground creature.  This does seem different to how reach is defined.  I guess though it would seem a semantic distinction to say if can only happen in a ground to air sequence rather than air to ground....

Sorry was working it out as I typed so hope it still makes sense.

Just thinking thought that they aren't saying that reach allows a flying creature to attack ground creatures without losing flying (which would be cool but quite powerful). 

Essentially the clarification means normally sweep happens on the same plane (air to air+air, air to ground+ground).  Sweeping has clarified that reach can break this, but hasn't changed other rules.  As you say, air to ground + air is already allowed, but air to air+ground wouldn't have been.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:22:27 PM by Moonglow »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
The change to Sweeping was to make it optional. However, thank you for bringing this up. I'll have to review the rulings again to ensure things are correct.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
It sounds like there are 4 types of sweeping interactions being clarified here.
1. Melee Sweeping
2. Sweeping with reach
3. Sweeping when flying
4. Ranged Sweeping

Perhaps a table view would make it easier to see the targeting choices. For example, rows would be Melee and Ranged (attack types) while columns would be Sweeping, Sweeping and Reach, Sweeping and Flying (traits).
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:27 PM »
Quote from: Moonglow
Essentially the clarification means normally sweep happens on the same plane (air to air+air, air to ground+ground).  Sweeping has clarified that reach can break this, but hasn't changed other rules.  As you say, air to ground + air is already allowed, but air to air+ground wouldn't have been.

Reach has to break the other rules in order to function that way though. If a flying creature wants to make a sweeping reach attack against first a flying creature and then a non-flying creature, it will have to attack the non-flyer while it itself is still flying. A creature can not gain or lose flying in the middle of an attack, and thus it can not land to hit the non-flyer like it normally would have if the non-flyer had been the first target. Therefore, either it can't hit the non-flyer, or Reach would allow a flying creature to hit a non-flyer without landing (thus preventing counterattacks). If Reach were to allow such an interaction with Sweeping, it would also then open the question why it can't do so with a non-Sweeping attack.

This has actually already been discussed in great detail. See >>>here.<<< I'm just double checking that they haven't changed their mind on it, because the updated codex still creates confusion regarding the matter.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
I don't think its meant to be that complicated.  Essentially the clarification indicates that sweeping can only occur in a single plane (i.e. in the sense of attack 1 and 2, its air + air, or ground + ground).  However, creatures with ranged or reach attacks can go ninja and have the option of sweeping between planes/modes; air + ground or ground + air.

It sounds like there are 4 types of sweeping interactions being clarified here.
1. Melee Sweeping
2. Sweeping with reach
3. Sweeping when flying
4. Ranged Sweeping

Perhaps a table view would make it easier to see the targeting choices. For example, rows would be Melee and Ranged (attack types) while columns would be Sweeping, Sweeping and Reach, Sweeping and Flying (traits).

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
That is indeed the way it reads, Moonglow. But it needs the added complication of figuring out whether the attacker has flying or not while making these attacks so that we know how to treat certain actions and effects. There's three possibilities (all referring to a flyer attacking air + ground):

1) Reach allows the flyer to attack ground units while flying, thus preventing things like counterstrike. If this is the case with Sweeping, why wouldn't Reach have the same effect on non-Sweeping attacks?
2) Reach allows the flyer to land in the middle of an attack in order to attack the ground unit, completely violating that sacred cow.
3) The flyer could not attack air + ground due to previous rulings preventing both of the above from occurring, meaning the codex entry still has some misleading confusion.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »
mmm I'm confused - aren't the attacks essentially separate (both start from the declare attack stage), so the flying creature can lose flying when attacking the ground creature (see point below where I ask this better I think).

Laddinfance uses this example in his clarification you link to:

Laddin:  Also, in order for a Flying creature with a Sweeping Melee attack with reach to attack both Flying and non-Flying targets then they will have to lose Flying (presumably by attacking the non-Flying creature first).

He does agree with you later though that:

You:  if a flying creature with reach attacks another flying creature, they would not be able to make a secondary attack (sweeping or battle fury) against a non-flying creature, correct?

Laddin:  Yes

It seems like the Flying reach sweeping attack ground 1st, air 2nd works with the rules as stated (although as you note, probably doesnt need stating).  Creature attacks to ground, loses flying, but has reach to allow second attack on flying creature.

The reverse seems new, but doesn't seem to break other rules or be contradictory with the other posts:

flying reach sweeping attacks air 1st (allowable) ...

actually perhaps this is the point you're debating - on page 2 other thread you state:

Therefore, if your first attack is against a flying creature, none of your additional attacks can be against non-flying creatures because you can not give up the flying trait to land and hit them.

Why not?  I understand sweeping ... ok Codex says, A sweeping attack is one attack action with two attacks...
Can you not loose flying during an attack or an attack action?  Laddinfance's example above suggests you can..?

Quote from: Moonglow

Reach has to break the other rules in order to function that way though. If a flying creature wants to make a sweeping reach attack against first a flying creature and then a non-flying creature, it will have to attack the non-flyer while it itself is still flying. A creature can not gain or lose flying in the middle of an attack, and thus it can not land to hit the non-flyer like it normally would have if the non-flyer had been the first target. Therefore, either it can't hit the non-flyer, or Reach would allow a flying creature to hit a non-flyer without landing (thus preventing counterattacks). If Reach were to allow such an interaction with Sweeping, it would also then open the question why it can't do so with a non-Sweeping attack.

This has actually already been discussed in great detail. See >>>here.<<< I'm just double checking that they haven't changed their mind on it, because the updated codex still creates confusion regarding the matter.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »
I think its point 2 - but the linch pin is the losing flying during the attack action, not the attack - which makes sense here while maintaining the integrity of counterstrikes etc.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
For a Flying creature to make a melee attack against a non-Flying creature, it must lose the Flying trait until the end of that attack action and is affected by damage barriers and counterstrikes as normal (the flyer must swoop down into reach to make the attack). A creature cannot gain or lose the Flying trait in the middle of an attack action. For example, if a creature gains Flying in the middle of an attack action, the entire attack action is resolved as if the creature did not have Flying, and the Flying trait is gained after that attack action is complete.

Quick reference for those of us at home with the bucket o' pop

Get'em Zuberi
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:44:59 PM by Kharhaz »

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
I must be looking at an older rulebook Kharhaz as it still only refers to not losing/gaining flying during an attack, rather than an attack action.  That does make it... hmmm actually why does it matter?

A flying creature can target and attack a ground creature yes?  The condition that the creature losing flying may not happen isnt any different to a spell effect not taking place until the action is resolved, it doesn't negate the action (unless the target becomes invalid). 

That seems to make the issue more like Zuberi notes, why does reach do this/allow this during sweeping, but not during a normal reach attack?

Isn't it more a case that in both cases the creature loses flying, but it doesn't take effect until the end of the attack (action). 

hmmm I can see the confusion, but still think it makes sense.  But that might be just being obtuse :)

For a Flying creature to make a melee attack against a non-Flying creature, it must lose the Flying trait until the end of that attack action and is affected by damage barriers and counterstrikes as normal (the flyer must swoop down into reach to make the attack). A creature cannot gain or lose the Flying trait in the middle of an attack action. For example, if a creature gains Flying in the middle of an attack action, the entire attack action is resolved as if the creature did not have Flying, and the Flying trait is gained after that attack action is complete.

Quick reference for those at home with the bucket o' pop

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
Just to clarify; the rules state:

For example, if a creature gains Flying in the middle of an attack action, the entire attack action is resolved as if the creature did not have Flying, and the Flying trait is gained after that attack action is complete.

So presumably the reverse is true (or the same is true for losing flying in the middle of an attack action). 

Flying creature (with reach I guess, but it doesn't matter) attacks ground creature, loses flying trait until end of attack.  Even if it was a triple strike and a flying trait was added mid attack (somehow) the state remains unflying until end of attack action.

Flying creature (with reach or ranged - only matters since the codex made these the only times cross plane sweeping attacks were allowed) makes a sweeping attack first on air target, all fine.  Second on ground target - should lose flying trait, but flying state doesn't change until end of attack action.

Still seems reasonable?

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
I guess I'm mostly working from the general guide that actions/spells in MW should work like you'd expect them to. 

So a creature with reach or ranged it makes sense that they can sweep/attack both air or ground creatures - the direction/order of attacks shouldn't matter.  Making the order of attack matter seems to disadvantage flying trait creatures, although letting them keep flying (effectively) does negate counterstrike from ground creatures.

I'd also be still stuck answering Zuberi's question of why can't a flying creature do this with reach normally, why only with sweeping.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
It makes sense with a flying ranged sweep, like Selesius, but is inconsistent with the flying trait in instances with a flying melee sweep with reach.

A sweeping attack (from a flyer) with reach, can hit a flyer first, then a ground target without losing the flying trait according to the new codex. Which as the 3.3 web rules would lead me to believe that the ground target is not a legal target for the sweep because the creature cannot lose flying to make that attack as sweep is one attack action.

In fact, if it was two attack actions there would be no issue at all

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
Just cause its 4.15 on the first week back at work and I'm procrastinating...

The 3.0 rules (I had 2.0, thanks for the update :)) state:

For a Flying creature to make a melee attack against a non-Flying creature, it must lose the Flying trait until the end of that attack action and is affected by damage barriers and counterstrikes as normal (the flyer must swoop down into reach to make the attack).

The must is emphasised in the book.  I'm going to be pedantic here and ask what must means :)  The ground creature is a legal target for the attack - the rules don't say that ground creatures cannot be targeted or attacked by creatures with the flying trait until they've lost flying. 

In my head the sweeping ranged clarificaiton in the codex means that the flying creature has lost the flying trait, but because it can't loose the trait mid attack action, is still flying.