April 28, 2024, 04:17:34 PM

Author Topic: Apprentice mode Level 0  (Read 13188 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Apprentice mode Level 0
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
The purpose of this format is to get people interested in Mage Wars and give them a feel for what the game is like, WITHOUT having to invest half an hour of their time upfront before they even know whether they're interested. It is NOT meant to be a complete tutorial of the game, but rather it is a fun, hands-on introduction.

Procedure

I) Set up everything beforehand. The spellbooks, the arena, the dice, action markers, EVERYTHING. Arena is 2x3 zones. All four 15-point spellbooks are listed below. All mages have an innate 3-dice basic melee attack.

II) Introduce the game: “Mage Wars is a customizable strategy card game in which players take the role of powerful mages and fight to the death in a gladiator-style arena fight.”

III) “Object of the game is to kill the enemy mage. You do this by increasing their damage stat,” (place a red cube on the damage stat at 0) "until it is equal to or greater than their life stat." (place a black cube on the life stat at 24)

IV) “Mana is the magical energy that is used to cast spells.” (Place a black cube on the mana stat at 5) “All mages have the innate ability to gain mana. This ability is called 'channeling'.” *Place a black cube on the channeling stat at 10*

V) Walk the players through the first round:
a. Roll for initiative. Explain how initiative passes back and forth each subsequent round during the initiative phase
b. Channeling phase
c. explain upkeep phase
d. Explain planning phase: "During the planning phase, each player selects spells to cast during the round, and places them on the table face down. Each mage can cast up to two spells per round. A mage's planned spells are placed to the side of the arena."

e. mention the deploy phase and say that this is when spawnpoints like the lair are able to cast spells.

f. explain the quick cast action and quick cast phases

g. explain the action phases, including what you can do with an action phase (don't forget to explain guarding)

When the first spell is cast:
1. Explain the casting step, and how it's different for enchantments (enchantments are cast face down, while other spells are flipped face up when you cast them)
2. Explain how to pay mana costs (and that all enchantments cost 2 mana to cast, but can be revealed later for an additional cost)
3. Explain the parts of the card. When you get to spell type, explain the six types of spells. Then the spell resolves.

VI) Round 2
a. remind players to exchange initiative marker. Explain reset phase. Remind players to channel mana during the channeling phase.
c. if there is a lair in play, explain that spawnpoints can cast spells too and during the planning phase a spawnpoint's controller can plan a spell for the spawnpoint to cast in addition to their mage's planned spells.

VII. Free Play. Explain new information as it comes up, or when a player has a question. Continue until either a mage has died or allotted time runs out. Use life-after-damage as tiebreaker if needed.

Apprentice Level 0 Spellbooks

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Warlock (apprentice lv0)[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Warlock Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C03]1 x Dark Pact Slayer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E08]1 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]2 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]1 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]1 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I29]1 x Vampiric Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]1 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 15 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Wizard (apprentice lv0)[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Wizard (Air) Spellbook[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E23]1 x Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q33]1 x Wind Wyvern Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[/spellbook]

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Priestess (apprentice lv0)[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Priestess Spellbook[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[mwcard=MW1A01]1 x Blinding Flash[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C22]1 x Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E37]1 x Sacred Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E03]1 x Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I17]3 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[/spellbook]

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Beastmaster (apprentice lv0)[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Beastmaster Spellbook[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[mwcard=MW1J10]1 x Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]1 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C04]4 x Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I03]1 x Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q02]1 x Bearskin[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[/spellbook]

I'm planning to use this in a presentation in a couple days. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:40:39 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice mode Level 0
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
You may want to find an alternative to the Beastmasters x2 Thunderrift Falcons. None of the other books have a way to attack fliers. Beastmaster has a massive advantage as a result.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
The Wizard is at a severe disadvantage here with only it's own melee attack while every other mage has at least one other creature to attack with.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
The wizard here is meant to tank. I updated the spellbook list.

-removed mana siphon.
-removed leather boots
-added bear strength
-added rhino hide
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
In light of the increase in the wizard's armor, I've updated the beastmaster's spellbook.

-removed 1x tanglevine
-removed marked for death
-added dissolve
-added call of the wild

furthermore, i've updated the wizard's spellbook again:

-removed 1x nullify
-added 1x jinx

(the reason for this is that if the beastmaster uses the dispel on anything other than rhino hide, his only chance of beating the wizard would be dissolving his wind wyvern hide. That means that if he decided to get rid of the bear strength he'd be 1 spell away from being completly screwed over, since he has no way of baiting nullify. So I switched out one of the wizard's nullifies for a jinx. Jinx lets the countered spell return to the spellbook and mana gets refunded. It seemed more fair.)

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
also, do you think 13 starting life is good, or should i change it to 14 or 15?

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »

Statistically at 13 life your Priestess will kill in 2 turns of attacks. Your Beastmaster in 1. Your Warlock in 2. Your Wizard in 3.

Wizard is still pretty weak comparatively and the Priestess is very strong. Knight of Westlock supported by Hand of Bim-Shalla trumps everything else on the list. Warlock has the best shot against it with Agony but Priestess can remove conditions and also has 3 healing spells. Granted a new player may not realize the synergy and utilize the advantage. If the Beastmaster knows to stay back and summon the foxes he can Call of the Wild and kill the enemy mage in a single round. So either the Priestess and the Beastmaster need a nerf or the other two need a buff. More HP would reduce the whoever strikes first wins nature of this variant.

Would be hard to make what is essentially a 5 minute demonstration of basic mechanics competitive.
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »

Statistically at 13 life your Priestess will kill in 2 turns of attacks. Your Beastmaster in 1. Your Warlock in 2. Your Wizard in 3.

Wizard is still pretty weak comparatively and the Priestess is very strong. Knight of Westlock supported by Hand of Bim-Shalla trumps everything else on the list. Warlock has the best shot against it with Agony but Priestess can remove conditions and also has 3 healing spells. Granted a new player may not realize the synergy and utilize the advantage. If the Beastmaster knows to stay back and summon the foxes he can Call of the Wild and kill the enemy mage in a single round. So either the Priestess and the Beastmaster need a nerf or the other two need a buff. More HP would reduce the whoever strikes first wins nature of this variant.

Would be hard to make what is essentially a 5 minute demonstration of basic mechanics competitive.

I forgot to mention this format does not use the mage ability cards.
All mages have a basic melee attack of 3 dice.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:05:23 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
I finally realized it would be excruciatingly difficult to make any format where the starting life is less than 24, simply because anything less than that makes luck too much of a factor. With 15 starting life, a priestess with asyran cleric can win in about 3-5 attacks, and doesn't need to sustain him that much. After some consideration, I have been unable to make the format less than 24 life without making the number of cards in the spellbooks too low. The only problem is that I'm not sure these spellbooks can win in 5 rounds or in less than 15 minutes. What do you think?

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
The changes you are describing are getting pretty close the normal apprentice spell book rules. Albeit with much smaller spell books and slightly less health. I say just go with the normal apprentice mode for introductory purposes. Not trying to discourage you but if it isn't broken why fix it?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
Because regular apprentice mode takes at least 30 minutes, and most people aren't going to invest that time upfront until they know whether they might be interested. Also, I was planning to present the game to my class for a hw assignment

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »
For what you are talking about I would recommend an alternative. Chose two mages and pre-select a few spells for each. Show a few scripted turns of play demonstrating multiple mechanics. Answer questions and ask if they are interested enough to try playing. If yes take them aside and play an apprentice game with them or if possible have two new players play against each other. Explain the game as they play and answer questions. Mage Wars is fun and interesting so many people will want to learn on their own. Just provide the tools and guidance without coming off as pushy and you will do fine.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Apprentice mode Level 0
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »
For what you are talking about I would recommend an alternative. Chose two mages and pre-select a few spells for each. Show a few scripted turns of play demonstrating multiple mechanics. Answer questions and ask if they are interested enough to try playing. If yes take them aside and play an apprentice game with them or if possible have two new players play against each other. Explain the game as they play and answer questions. Mage Wars is fun and interesting so many people will want to learn on their own. Just provide the tools and guidance without coming off as pushy and you will do fine.

That's not interactive, and probably won't last more than 5 minutes. The demonstration of the game needs to be at least over 5 min long and at most 10, but preferably no more than 7 minutes.

If this version of apprentice mode isn't feasible for the purpose I've stated for it, then could you please say explain how and why that is? The main differences between this level of apprentice mode and the regular kind is supposed to be that this one is shorter and a lot less comprehensive, while still giving enough of a feel for the gameplay for someone to know whether they want to invest another half an hour in a full demo. Also, the smaller spellbooks means less analysis paralysis for new players.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:49:18 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
The version you have created overly favors certain mage types. It is not feasible to strike a reliable balance with such low HP mages. Simply put the cards for this game were not designed for the low health format you are proposing. If you cannot see that then nothing further I say will change your mind.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Apprentice mode Level 0
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
The version you have created overly favors certain mage types. It is not feasible to strike a reliable balance with such low HP mages. Simply put the cards for this game were not designed for the low health format you are proposing. If you cannot see that then nothing further I say will change your mind.

Um, you did see that I changed it to 24 life, right? I even said that I didn't see any way to do it any less. 24 life is the same life value that's used in regular apprentice mode.