April 28, 2024, 01:54:20 PM

Author Topic: Help with finishing FM build  (Read 16688 times)

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Help with finishing FM build
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
My wife and I are new to the game, just picked it up a little over a week ago.  I know FM isn't Tier 1 right now, nevertheless I want to make this the best that it can be.  Based on my scouring of different forums, here's what I've put together so far:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Micah's FM[/spellbookname]
[mage]Forcemaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]1 x  Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j16]1 x  Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j21]1 x  Suppression Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j09]1 x  Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]1 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE05]1 x  Forcefield[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE04]1 x  Force Crush[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE03]1 x  Stumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e16]1 x  Force Hold[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x  Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ02]1 x  Defense Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ04]1 x  Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x  Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i02]2 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i26]1 x  Sleep[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 103 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Turn 1: Move and cast Battle Forge in FC , and Temple of the Dawnbreaker in starting corner.
Turn 2: Hand of Bim-Shalla, and either Suppression Orb if I think swarm, or I start equipping/enchanting myself.
Turn 3: Continue equipping/enchanting myself, move to highest threat creature.

So, 17pts to go.  Where would you recommend going from here?  Is Mordok's Obelisk worth the spellpoints?  What about Stumble? 

Cards that I'm personally considering:
-1 Mordok's Obelisk (high spellpoint cost)
+1-2 Thoughtspores
+1 Block (cuz I get it for cheap, not sure if it's necessary)
+ 2 Decoy
+ 2 Mage Wands
Extra copies of certain Enchantments like Nullify
+1 Mind Control
+1 Charm
Psi Orb
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:05:55 PM by chiller087 »

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finishing FM build
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
As a fellow FM player, welcome! I'd suggest a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard], so you can keep gaining life to make you a litter tankier. Also, if you're going to run a Proxy Thought Spore, I'd put in a Harmonize to increase its channeling so it's not just wandering around gathering mana. Another Teleport might be nice, and having a Mind Control for a One Turn Kill on any creature is extremely fun, though expensive.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
Certainly include 2 to 3 [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
With the Enchanter's Ring these cost only 1 mana and can be activated at the exact right time (when your defense fails)
I also prefer [mwcard=MW1E33]Retaliate[/mwcard] over Battle Fury.
BF will only give you an additional 4-dice attack, useful maybe to finish a creature in one attack.
Doublestrike + BF + scimitar can be lethal, however, a retaliate can be used as a surprise and at the right time for a much higher damage output.

I also run a [mwcard=MW1C18]Gorgon Archer[/mwcard] and a [mwcard=MW1C34]Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
Both creatures have nice synergy with the FM's force pull.

As an additional defensive measure [mwcard=MW1E12]Divine Protection[/mwcard] can be useful, especially against swarms.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
My suggestions:

--With all of your upkeep cards, consider adding a Psi-Orb.

--Drop the Defense Ring, it's not worth it.  Instead, add a Force Ring.

--If you're not going to wear armour, definitely include some copies of Brace Yourself.

--Might be worth including extra Dispel and/or Dissolve (or even Steal Equipment); Falcon Precision could *really* ruin your day.

--You might want some more equipment.  Some options: a Collossus or Regrowth Belt; a Sunfire Amulet; a Dispel Wand; a Healing Wand; an Elemental Cloak; and maybe even an Elemental Wand + Invisible Fist (or Acid Ball, or Jet Stream, or...).

--Beware getting pushed through your own Wall of Thorns; it's worth adding one piece of torso armour just in case.  Alternatively, and less ideally, you could go with Eagleclaw Boots.

--A second Wall of Thorns to extend in a single casting could prove useful.

--I like including a Reverse Attack and a Fumble, to be used at an opportune time.

--You...already have a Mordok's Obelisk in there.  I wouldn't include a second.

--I would double up on Mongoose Agility; Elusive is *required* to keep the heat on the mage.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.  Have fun with it!

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
Thanks so much guys for the replies.  Being new to the game, some of these cards hadn't occurred to me yet to add.

@IndyPendant:  I was actually referring to removing the Obelisk; wasn't sure if it was worth the spell points in the FM's book.

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]FM 1.1[/spellbookname]
[mage]Forcemaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j21]1 x  Suppression Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]2 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j09]1 x  Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]1 x  Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE05]1 x  Forcefield[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]2 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e33]1 x  Retaliate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e34]1 x  Reverse Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE05]1 x  Fumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e12]1 x  Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE04]1 x  Force Crush[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x  Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ04]1 x  Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x  Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ02]1 x  Defense Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q33]1 x  Wind Wyvern Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ07]1 x  Psi-Orb[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i26]1 x  Sleep[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Ok here is my finished first draft, trying to fit in many of the suggestions I received.  If you see anything glaring or obvious, please speak up! I don't mind the criticism.  So many cards I want to shove into the build, all of a sudden 120 doesn't seem like nearly enough.  Cards I'm not yet sure about:

Force Crush might become a Force Hold if I need the spell points for something else.
Falcon Precision
Psi Orb
I'm trying out the Defense Ring, if I don't like it I'll switch for Force Ring.
Also not sure if I went overboard with the healing stuff...between Vampirism, Regrowth, Regrowth Belt and Sunfire Amulet.  But since this is a solo FM build, I thought I might need it.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
It's a small thing, but [mwcard=MW1Q33]Wind Wyvern Hide[/mwcard] is generally not that great at the moment. For Forcemasters, I generally run the [mwcard=FWQ10]Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard], as I hate being stunned. Though, [mwcard=MW1Q06]Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard] is always solid. I love your inclusion of the [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]. Forcemaster's tend to have a plethora of enchantments, and so it's an easy add. Though their are many games where a Forcemaster can get it done by herself, I always include at least one buddy for her. It's always good to have a solid threat on the table other than her. Personally I go with the [mwcard=DNC03]Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]. It's tough to kill, she can push it around, and when it connects five dice plus chance for corrode is pretty dang awesome. Lastly, I would not underestimate [mwcard=MW1I02]Battle Fury[/mwcard]. No it doesn't get the full weight of your melee bonus, but it is an extra free swing with [mwcard=FWQ04]Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]. That's four dice with piercing +2. If you do include a creature, often it can be helpful their as well.

Hopefully these suggestions are helpful. I really love playing a Forcemaster, and I'm glad to see you're delving right in!

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:32:03 PM »
First of all, seeing as 2 of the top 8 at gencone were forcemasters (including me), I think she qualifies as "top tier".  Secondly, you are going to find yourself really tight on actions.  Don't use brace yourself or any cheap enchantments, you are going to be spending your main action attacking which means one spell and one equipment a turn to effectively spend your 10+1 channeling.

You need to keep your opponent at 0 armor, either a devouring jelly, and/or put the acid balls back in.  As you play more and find more cards to cut, spend the extra SP on dispel, acid ball and teleport.  A thoughtspore with acid ball can be good, but remember every full action you spend summoning is one less chop to your opponents face.  1 rust can also be nice because you can play it on them preemptively, especially good to flip it up right before pushing them through the thorns.

Regrowth and regrowth belt don't stack so I'd ditch the enchantment version, you'll have enough enchants to cast.

Try the obelisk and orb before you cut them.  I'm not sure how well they will work, I've never used them myself.  But don't cast too much antiswarm before your opponent has committed to a swarm.

Decoy is really not worth it unless your opponent is like 90%+ likely to seeking dispell it.  Risking losing the action isn't worth gaining the 2 mana.  Actions are precious for the forcemaster.

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:38 PM »
Try the obelisk and orb before you cut them.  I'm not sure how well they will work, I've never used them myself.  But don't cast too much antiswarm before your opponent has committed to a swarm.
Yeah, this is quite annoying when the Obelisk and Orb come out before the swarm has hit "critical mass". Then the swarmer just stops spawning to throw everything at both to destroy them before going back to nomming the FM in the face.

I also agree that taking out Regrowth is a good idea, since Regeneration doesn't stack. The Vampirism is good, and Sunfire Amulet is strong, and an underrated equipment. Just remember like BoomFrog said, you WILL be action reliant, so every action has to count toward the ultimate goal of killing the opposing mage.

You might consider replacing Decoy with [mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard], as a source of DOT damage. That 1 direct damage really stacks up. I also like [mwcard=MW1E23]Jinx[/mwcard] if I can predict them playing anything that would be super annoying like a big creature or hard hitting spell.
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 02:43:58 AM »
You might consider replacing Decoy with [mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard], as a source of DOT damage. That 1 direct damage really stacks up. I also like [mwcard=MW1E23]Jinx[/mwcard] if I can predict them playing anything that would be super annoying like a big creature or hard hitting spell.

Just minor correction,[mwcard=MW1E23] Jinx[/mwcard] can only stop quick cast spells, no the only creature it can delay is[mwcard=DNC17] Tataree[/mwcard]. I managed to kill a[mwcard=DNC04] Grey Wraith[/mwcard] with The butterfly, but probably not enough to consider it as a big creature :D
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

Just minor correction,[mwcard=MW1E23] Jinx[/mwcard] can only stop quick cast spells, no the only creature it can delay is[mwcard=DNC17] Tataree[/mwcard]. I managed to kill a[mwcard=DNC04] Grey Wraith[/mwcard] with The butterfly, but probably not enough to consider it as a big creature :D

Ah! Thanks for correcting me on that >_>

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »

If the Beastmaster cast one of his level 1 creatures as a quick spell, wouldn't Jinx stop that?

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »

What about Harmonize on the Battle Forge?  If I did both turn 1, if I'm doing my math right, Harmonize will have paid for itself during turn 5, and then the profit from Harmonize effectively means Battle Forge will have paid for itself during turn 7 (instead of turn 9 without Harmonize) and everything after that is profit, assuming it doesn't get dispelled.

Do you think that's worth it for a FM?

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 02:13:29 AM »
Harmonize is not worth it on a BF imo because you run out of useful spells to cast real soon, then the BF sits there accumulating mana but with nothing vital to do.

The Forcemaster really only needs Galvitar and the Dancing Scimitar. The rest of the equipment is situational.

Personally I don't play an enchanter's ring with my Forcemaster as I consider it an action wasted and better spent on something more "damaging" and I usually have enough mana to spend. Since the FM will want to use his full action to attack each round you basically channel 10 mana to use on a quickaction every round, that's more than enough, so there's no need for an Enchanter's Ring imo.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
If you don't use a battleforge Enchanter's ring is a waste of a precious action.  I haven't tried battleforge-less FM, it seems like have way too much mana and are unable to spend it well, unless maybe you have a thoughtspore?

Galvatar, Scimitar, Gauntlets of Str, Enchanter's Ring, Leather Boots, and a chest armor are all worth wile items.  Force Ring, Regen belt and moon glow amulet can be good in long games vs defensive opponents.

However, I would go with a mana crystal over harmonize unless you have a specific plan that really requires that 1 more mana.  The 1 extra upfront is probably worth the flexibility.  And killing a forcemaster's battleforge is already a tempting idea for many opponents.