April 27, 2024, 12:45:34 AM

Author Topic: zombies vs skellies  (Read 22406 times)

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
zombies vs skellies
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »
Whats up all. Im seeking some advice on a spellbook. I'm playing necro vs another necro. Would it be wise to go skeletons or zombies? Should I do something crazy and go big flyers?

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
Re: zombies vs skellies
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »
I guess it sort of depends on how you want to play it. Zombies are difficult to kill in general. Only real weakness with them is they are slow and dont have that much health although they compensate with the resilience trait. Plus they have the Bloodthirsty trait which is great sometimes, but it can also be a problem if your opponent distracts them with damaged decoy creatures. Flying is also a big weakness for them as well.

Skellies are a bit more fragile then the zombies but they are easy to heal with reconstruct.

Personally, I like zombies. They are hard to kill, they come with a bigger variety of types and they have shaggoth which is a monster if you feed him enough.

What sort of build do you favor more? Aggressive? Turtley?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:06:45 PM by Death-from-above »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »
 Definitely favor aggression. I know the necro needs sine time to set up.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
Maybe lof against another necro?

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »
Zombies, only if you get a mage wand and use zombie frenzy every turn after you set up, it really annoys your opponent.

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
Eh the Necro doesn't need that much time. If you have him running Libro then you should be fine with summoning. Libro + Graveyard is a little overkill unless you are planning on running a swarm build.

I haven't seen anyone pull a lof out with a Necro but its definitely feasible.

Zombies, only if you get a mage wand and use zombie frenzy every turn after you set up, it really annoys your opponent.

^This is a great combo with zombies
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
I use a mix of both in my dual spwanpoint zombie swarm book

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
I actually like skeletons more usually, with some exceptions.  This mainly has to do with the fact that most zombies can't hinder other creatures due to Pest, and that's important for making sure the Necro can keep his distance while he summons and Meditates.  Creatures that actually hinder also have good synergy with Cloak of Shadows, an equip which is incredibly important to the Necro.

Skeletons are also more efficient vs Nonliving creatures, which are harder for the Necro to interact with in terms of his Plaguemaster ability.  Against Living creatures, though, zombies are more efficient, at least in terms of dice.

Skeles also have access to powerful Soldier-specific cards like Armory, Flank Attack, Garrison/Archer outposts, etc.  Zombies have stronger support in-school, since cards like Rise Again, that Ziggurat thing, and Animate Dead only really shine in zombie builds.

Some conjurations meant for defense/late game also have the skeleton subtype, and benefit from Reassemble and Unholy Resurgence.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty equal.  Playstyle-wise, Zombies are more efficient offensively while Skeletons are more efficient defensively, given the current card pool.  When I play 10-channeling mages, I naturally tend to aim towards the lategame where I can probably overwhelm my opponent with mana and actions, so I like skeles more.  However, I also have to prop up my offensive capabilities in the matchups against mages who can be even more lategame-oriented.

Before FiF came out, I often found room for Shaggoth-Zora in every Necro book I made.  It doesn't have Pest and doesn't need much support besides a couple Crawlers to munch on to get big.  A single Ichthellid is good too, since it is its own engine given how the ability and Plaguemaster works. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »
Fair warning Necro/Necro matches can get REAL dull when you're both immune to the other guys best poison tricks and curses :) For overall play I prefer skeletons, just get some overall better creatures in my view, but I imagine a good zombie book will go through a good skeleton book, that's just my observation though.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
Both swarmtypes are awesome!

There is not much to add here and whatever you choose just do not play Sardonyx and pay attention to the Zombie Frenzy combo! I'd choose skellies too, simply because i like armory and the skeletal knight :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »
Odd, I would think the answer to this one would be obvious, frankly.  If it's necro vs necro, go skeleton.  A big thing about zombies is they hit hard...due primarily to Bloodthirsty.  Which doesn't apply vs skeletons.  Even Zombie Frenzy just gives them more Bloodthirsty (and Fast, of course).

Just be sure to include plenty of mobility for your mage, because your zombie-swarming opponent is totally going to try to focus-fire your mage down.  And without Bloodthirsty forcing his zombies to attack your (nonliving) creatures, he just might do it!

I would probably play with a Battleforge, and gear up while bringing out the supporting creatures.  Include plenty of Reassembles to keep the healing up.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice. I figure with skells I can put more pressure on him with death fangs and archers. Zombies are lumbering, so it will take a lil longer to get to me after I start hitting him. Blood thirsty works on mage tho no?

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »
Also, if I go skells and forge, what would first 3 rounds look like? Should I go graveyard and libros as well, or just book and save the rest of mana to gear up?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 12:23:28 AM »
I'd go with the book but not the graveyard.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
Ok. If my mage takes damage, do zombies get bloodthirsty?