April 27, 2024, 01:43:26 AM

Author Topic: zombies vs skellies  (Read 22407 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: zombies vs skellies
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
Ok. If my mage takes damage, do zombies get bloodthirsty?

Yes.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
Yes...your mage is a living creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
K.. thank u

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Ok. If my mage takes damage, do zombies get bloodthirsty?

Yes.

No and yes

From Codex

"This creature gains +X attack dice when it makes a melee attacks versus a living creature with 1 or more damage." and "If there is a damaged living enemy creature in bloodthirsty creature's zone, it must melee attack that creature (if possible)"

So your zombies get the bloodthirsty bonus if they attack your damaged mage, but they are not required to do so as the targeting restriction only applies to enemy, living creatures.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:50:37 PM by Kharhaz »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
He's saying that if they're your own zombies, they don't have to attack you. If they're your opponent's zombies, on the other hand, yes, they have to attack you if you're injured.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 08:18:45 AM »
Back to this topic... are really zombies more aggresive and skeletons more defensive?

I tried a necromancer book based around [mwcard=DNQ05]Libro Mortuos[/mwcard] and [mwcard=FWQ09]Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard]. I went for skeletons, 6 minions plus some more variety. The idea is bring libro and death ring first turn, drop two [mwcard=DNC15]Skeletal Minion[/mwcard] second turn, and from there go jump onto the other mage, keeping droping skeletons from libro every turn, and using Sectarus for action advantage (if going mele, is gives +1 channel, +1 mele +1 piercing and opportity to get curses on opponent for a 10 mana quickcast), in something similar to a swarm rush.

In such a book, i think the skeletons hability to both hinder and doble move to get in touch when needed gives them more 'punch' than an similar zombie book. Zombies punch harder, but skeletons will punch more often, which i think will result in more damage dice. Of course you can vary using specific combinations... but i donĀ“t see clearly zombies as more aggresive.

In fact, if i planned to have a slow build up, i think zombies would be the best aproach, since enemy is forced to come to you, and then their higher attack will overcome the lost attacks due to thier lumbering and pest traits.

I just had a couple of plays of my skeleton book... but it seemed that the rush could not be archieved by using zombies.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 02:16:15 AM »
It's not so much that zombies are better at aggressive than skeletons.  Skeletons can certainly be played aggressively!  It's more like this:

Can skeletons be used offensively?  Absolutely!  Can they be used defensively?  Absolutely!  Can zombies be used offensively?  Absolutely!  Can they be used defensively?  *crickets* ; )

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 04:00:36 AM »
Well, i think zombies could be used nicely in a (defensive) more pasive-aggresive stance - you drop them in your fortress, and let the enemy come to you, using their inmobile high damage output to kill dangers (not guard from them)... i think i'm gonna try to build up a book using this aproach and see how it comes.

So mi opinion (maybe it does not have a solid base) is that if you plan to get a quick agressive build, skeletons are more efficient (or easier at least), but for a slow economy build, maybe better use zombies (which seems just the opposite of the general opinion  :-[  which means probably i'm wrong)

I need more games anyway :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:09:09 AM by zorro »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
It's not so much that zombies are better at aggressive than skeletons.  Skeletons can certainly be played aggressively!  It's more like this:

Can skeletons be used offensively?  Absolutely!  Can they be used defensively?  Absolutely!  Can zombies be used offensively?  Absolutely!  Can they be used defensively?  *crickets* ; )

Would I want to walk though two zones full of zombies to get to the mage to try and kill him? Probably not. But that is a defensive posture using zombies. Everybody who plays against them, stays the hell away from zombies so by nature they are defensive, just not responsive.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Zombies are good at applying counter pressure, but not at directly preventing your mage from taking damage in the short term. They're not good guards (most of them have Pest, and all of them have Bloodthirsty), but they can kill your opponent's threats efficiently.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
i play both, in 2 different books. 2 completely different builds

play Libro over the graveyard.

Sirscott13

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
Zombies are gonna be good if you plan to stay in the back and just build your army and feeding your zombie pool by casting rise again and then playing with your poisons. I recommend a venomous zombie or plague zombie as your eternal servant. This way you just keep fishing out poison conditions and dealing maximum damage. Deathshrowd staff can give rot conditions too and never underestimate acid balls.

Skeletons are nice when you can create finite life for everyone using either death lock or alter of skulls. I highly recommend the alter this way you can heal yourself. Then drop reconstruction spells, Mort and your acolytes to keep your army rolling while your enemy has no way to get health. Then use skeletons to occupy enemy while you get out max armor on yourself, defenses, and veterns belt. You would be amazed at how hard it is to kill a nec this way. Your enemy will not be able to cast poison curses on you and you can go total bad ass with your skellies

KosmosAlive

• Mage Wars Enthusiast
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The universe abounds with life, without a doubt.
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Zea - Project Website (Under Construction)
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »
As for the Libro Mortuos and the Graveyard, I have found it a good strategy to cast the book early on (that way you can move and cast spells--Harmonize is good--between Deployment) while advancing toward your opponent, and leaving a trail of waking undead behind you. Then, wait until a space clears near a key strategic location (usually near the center of the board) and cast the Graveyard then, preferably s they cannot escape. Try trapping the Mage between the Arena wall, Walls of Bones, and your Graveyard, so that they can only advance towards you. This can be risky if your Necromancer is open to ranged attack, but if they stay in place, you can charge them with undead  ;)

Best Wishes,
--IronLegionnaire
-- Kosmos

SpaceWizard

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »
I see people advocating libro basically all the time, and basically no one talks about graveyard. I think something not a lot of players take into account or perhaps haven't dealt with much is a well timed dissolve on libro. Yes, the necro can bring it back, but a dissolve cast in final quickcast can often really damage a necro's plans for next round. At least with graveyard, you know it's going to be around at the end of a turn, and can try and protect it if you're opponent tries to take it down.

Basically, libro is more effecient, while graveyard is more reliable.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »
I'd like to go on-record as a major Graveyard supporter when facing off against other economy builds. Graveyard + Meditation Amulet can generate a tremendous amount of mana, and that's before extras like Harmonize or Ring. Combined with Ichthalid's cheep self summoning, it's possible to bury an opponent in mana advantage.

For this kind of book and matchup, Skeletons are usually my critters of choice, because Zombies are just SO slow. I think The Book is so popular because people want to use the Not Worth Killing Zombies, but Skeleton builds can be more flexible.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.