April 27, 2024, 06:36:24 AM

Author Topic: beating wizard with FM  (Read 21790 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: beating wizard with FM
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »
i would exactly do the opposite thing. Let him waste some of his mana by summoning creatures. Buffed in the right way, you can easily kill them with no mana investment at all. Additionally, when summoning creatures, he lacks mana to protect himself.

Let him summon whatever he wants: Destroy it or evade it while killing the mage.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
i would exactly do the opposite thing. Let him waste some of his mana by summoning creatures. Buffed in the right way, you can easily kill them with no mana investment at all. Additionally, when summoning creatures, he lacks mana to protect himself.

Let him summon whatever he wants: Destroy it or evade it while killing the mage.

You never faced a Watergate Wizard by your answer. With a gargoyle + an hydra out, you will never touch him, you won't kill these two quickly and during that time, he will bring out gorgon and gremlins to take you down while the tower slam you in wall, preventing you to use defense.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
Wildhorn, Woukd you open the same way?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:59 AM »
Honestly, against a Watergate I would "waste" time and ressource to take down the gate. Watergate Wizard strength is all the actions he gains from gate and tower. By taking down the gate, you force him to manually summon creatures, giving you an edge and allowing you the game to last couple more round before you are screwed up.

With Bear Stenght + Lion Savagery + Force Hammer, the gate should be down in 1 or 2 rounds.
He will Purify you and then Purge Magic you and then you have lost all of these buffs (i.e. actions),  then more than likely he will Dissolve your Weapon and then Jinx you. You have to cast again (more mana on the Gate) and he still has plenty gas left in his tank....at least from what I have experienced.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »
You wouldn't go for gate Sike? Go for the mage then?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
Both are very sound strategies, if you can't take the Gate down quickly, your in trouble. Remember each of the spells that you cast places mana on the gate, so in the four rounds we are talking about with a Harmonize on it we are talking 16 mana generated by it.

As I indicated you can and will be able to beat the Wizard, but he will make a couple of adjustments and plug the weakness you found and you will have to find another path to win the next time. I guess what I am trying to get across here is that while it is possible to win a game against the Wizard with the FM, it is exceedingly hard to do it consistently.

After the first game you win by taking out the Gate: [mwcard=MW1C05]Blue Gremlins[/mwcard] are easy to pop out 2 of, along with a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard] in these four rounds and now you, are along with a Wizards Tower, 4 actions behind. The Wizard just sits and Dissolves and Dispels by sitting in the zone next to the Gate, and now you are getting beat up! Or he places a [mwcard=MW1E22]Hellfire Trap[/mwcard] in the gates zone, or as mentioned above, places a [mwcard=MW1E38]Teleport Trap[/mwcard] in the zone with [mwcard=MW1C18]Gorgon Archer[/mwcard] who then plinks you again and Weakens you. This is my problem with the Wizard he can carry all of this in his book, he just sees how you play once and then he adjusts his play and you are back to square one.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
Honestly, against a Watergate I would "waste" time and ressource to take down the gate. Watergate Wizard strength is all the actions he gains from gate and tower. By taking down the gate, you force him to manually summon creatures, giving you an edge and allowing you the game to last couple more round before you are screwed up.

With Bear Stenght + Lion Savagery + Force Hammer, the gate should be down in 1 or 2 rounds.
He will Purify you and then Purge Magic you and then you have lost all of these buffs (i.e. actions),  then more than likely he will Dissolve your Weapon and then Jinx you. You have to cast again (more mana on the Gate) and he still has plenty gas left in his tank....at least from what I have experienced.

Yeah I know... That's the problem with Watergate, it has an answer for everything. The other solution is double Force Hammer (you might need to cast a 3rd on next turn). You end up spending alot of mana, but if the gate is not destroyed, you end up so far behind on action AND mana because everytime you cast you give him mana.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
You never faced a Watergate Wizard by your answer. With a gargoyle + an hydra out, you will never touch him
Using Guard against a forcemaster is somewhat useless because she can forcepull what she wants to double strike.
You could also just tanglevine the gargoyle and his guard doesn't matter. As for the gorgon archer ... a armor 1 hydra (16 mana) is dead pretty fast with the 8+4+3 dice ...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:39:33 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
You never faced a Watergate Wizard by your answer. With a gargoyle + an hydra out, you will never touch him
Using Guard against a forcemaster is somewhat useless because she can forcepull what she wants to double strike.

First, the doublestrike is a full action so you can't force pull then move in to doublestrike.
If you meant force push, then you move 1 guard, but you need to attack the 2nd one. So Sweeping instead of Doublestrike. The hit that will touch the mage is just 4 dice, while his shield will eat 3 damage. Good luck killing him.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
A good watergate wizard will also have a disolve wand to disolve your galvitar, it doesnt matter if he use all his round mana to do it because to get it back you need to do the same while he has a gate and a tower building up mana to kill you. If you dissolve the wand to be able to cast galvitar, he has 3 other wands and 6 dissolve. During that time where you deal no damage, his creature kill you.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »
Does nullify counter tele trap?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
Does nullify counter tele trap?

Nope because teleport trap doesnt "Target" the creature.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
The game really need some boots and/or enchantment that anchor a creature, preventing teleportation.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
Lol. I agree. I also feel wizard too strong. Pays triple for nothing. And cheapest for utility. Very annoying.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
We are at a dead point here. I would say: Come to octgn, Wildhorn, and i'll show you what i do with watergate wizards :D