April 27, 2024, 02:24:38 AM

Author Topic: beating wizard with FM  (Read 21789 times)

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
beating wizard with FM
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »
I may be playing a wizard next week in my local tourney. I can imagine he can be a pain with voltaric shield. I'm going to get in his face early, as I would with any mage I face with FM. Any suggestions in sealing the win?

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: beating wizard with FM
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »
Constant use of AcidBalls, trying to exploit Thorns+Push and 2-3 HurlBoulder should finish off even the mightiest of wizards in no time. Just don't get distracted and anticipate his defensive ideas.  8)

GoGo mate. I <3 aggro.

My FM starts with a hidden Cheetah and a ForcePush-Spore as support and then goes directly for the enemy`s throat.
Situational mid-game transition (turn 3/4) is either a Forge or InvisStalker if I think I need to slow down.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:18:18 AM by gw »
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

lettucemode

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
I would try to think about what tools the Wizard has that specifically work well against FMs.

[mwcard=MW1C18]Gorgon Archer[/mwcard] can stack Weak tokens on you, which pretty much destroys your game plan right out of the gate if you can't get rid of them. Bring [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard] or [mwcard=FWE01]Charm[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1E30]Pacify[/mwcard] to stop it from hitting you, and bring a [mwcard=MW1I20]Purify[/mwcard] as backup.

Maybe consider a [mwcard=FWJ05]Mana Prism[/mwcard] if you think he may use some level of mana denial.

Bring some [mwcard=FWA02]Force Hammers[/mwcard] to help against pesky conjurations like [mwcard=MW1J07]Gate to Voltari[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]. Getting a [mwcard=FWC16]Thoughtspore[/mwcard] with [mwcard=MW1I02]Battle Fury[/mwcard] on it can also help you take them down quick.

Bring some Unavoidable stuff for [mwcard=MW1C21]Huginn[/mwcard].

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
Thank you guys. Playing with base book though. Lol

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
Ok, played my first wizard with FM in tourney. God damn, it was a tough loss. Gate of voltari with harmonize is so annoying. I was able to take down wizard towers, but in hindsight, maybe I should have used force hammers for the gate, or went after his mage a lot faster than I did. I spawned a grizzly early, but didn't do whay I had expected. Rolled poorly, and gorgon archer lasted a couple of turns. Wand of healing helped with weak tokens, but I should have played control morewith thoughtspores. Maybe teleport on at least one (that came out too late). His gate had me at a severe action advantage. It was a good game on his part. Rolled well, and ran away with his mage well. And voltaric shield, lol, it was ugly.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:03:01 AM »
Include 1 or 2 purify(s).

You cannot spend an action every round on healing wand to get rid of weak tokens.

If your bear only has 1 or 2 weak ignore it. Once it has 3-4 or more and u got i set up for a full attack QC purify and land the hammer.

Imo 2 x Forcehammers are a bad solution. You end up spending equal mana and actions to the wizard, but he gets atleast 1 action back from gate and 2-4 mana.
More than 50% of the time the gate will be 'alive' after the double hammer, and then your utterly screwed.
And when you actually DO destroy it, your not really ahead of the wizard.

I would try summon double grizzly vs a spawnpoint opening when playing a creature FM.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:08 AM »
Thank you Jack. I'm actually removing the bear. Lol. I don't have the enchants to support it. I've won the first 5 matches of tourney with inv stalker and good thoughtspore play. So you suggest just going for the mage and not creatures?

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »
Going for the mages throat has won me my games. But what about wizards tower? Would you ignore it? Also, thoughtspore with seeking would have been good to start. He basically nullified all his creatures to protect from charm and mc, and I ran out of seeking dispels. Maybe 2nd spore with tele to grab him out of archers range to me. I did this late in the game, but it was too late at that point. Was overwhelmed by 5 creatures.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:54:25 AM by Avarice »

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »
Don't freak out with Wizard Tower. It is just an extra action limited to attack spell.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »
And range. As a Forcemaster, i would just pull my prey to me or block LoS with fog or wall of earth if that tower shoot fire or lightning.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »
You cant kill his hydra/gorgons/jelly's/gargoyles fast enough, so you will be overwhelmed in the end.

Imo the only option is to go for the wizard which is terribly hard because he will get out atleast 1 gargoyle, put in defensive enchantments and equipment and a wizard tower which will surge wave your biggest hitter every round.

In all honesty I don't think a FM can beat a Watergate book, but I would love to be proved wrong.

The FM needs some love after getting double owned by Bim-Shalla and Battlefury nerf.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
Well, next small expansion could be wizard lady vs forcemaster gentleman :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
Well, I will say it was my hardest match up ever. I will probably be playing him again in 2-3 weeks of tourney, so I can think of some new strats. Having a seek on a thoughtspore and another with a teleport should help getting him to me, especially with jellies and gorgons out. Then I can use spore to keep him in my zone for double strike and scimitar. I will be on the clock, more than ever tho, especially with that gate. Last night when I did get a chance to tele him to me, next round he cast sleep on spore. :-(. Never felt so hopeless in a match before. Lol. I appreciate the advice guys. I am allowed to change mage before the matchups. If I feel I'm posting him the following week, I may choose another mage. Not sure who tho...

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »
your using forge right?

Deploy wand iof healing and QC sleep away. Time it with initiative so you don't get dissolved before you get the chance to use the wand.

Remember to position thoughtspore in 1 of the center zones, otherwise it dies on average to a Jetstream.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:14 AM »
Aahh. Ok. No, i haven't used battleforge the whole tourney. 1. Doesn't come in default book and in this tourney u need to win to unlock pts to get bf in book. 2. I didn't want to lose tempo as I'm moving forward to their mage.