April 28, 2024, 01:01:27 AM

Author Topic: Teleport Errata (Friendly** Creature and Zone)  (Read 12286 times)

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Teleport Errata (Friendly** Creature and Zone)
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »
Most of you have talked about this issue before, so I won't beat a dead horse and try to keep this short.  My suggested errata to teleport is simple, restrict it to only friendly creatures.

I've seen people house rule this in real life and on OCTGN.  It seems to work very well and contributes to the overall health of the game in a positive way.  It promotes more interaction between creatures and looses the grip arcane has on the core of every book. 

Some others have suggested it be "epic", but I don't think the problem is that teleport can be used more than once, it's that it can be used on an unwilling mage.

Anyway, I know most have a relevant opinion so I'd like to here them and see if we can come to some kind of formal conclusion on the issue  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport Errata (Friendly** Creature and Zone)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »
So that Grizzly Bear that is teleported into my mages zone by the opposing mage, I can no longer teleport him out?

How about no offensive use of Teleport? That's what gets everyone's goat, right?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
I just play where it can't target enemy Mages. Simple change and it makes quite a difference. Changing it to where you can't target any enemy creatures is too much IMO.

I don't think we'll get an actual errata of the card. Just cards that help balance it out, ie an equipment (amulet?) that prevents you from being teleported or an enchantment that lets you teleport to its zone instead of the target zone the enemy chose.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:10:11 AM »

I just play where it can't target enemy Mages. Simple change and it makes quite a difference. Changing it to where you can't target any enemy creatures is too much IMO.

I don't think we'll get an actual errata of the card. Just cards that help balance it out, ie an equipment (amulet?) that prevents you from being teleported or an enchantment that lets you teleport to its zone instead of the target zone the enemy chose.

The real important question is whether that will be enough to balance it for 2v2.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »
Hello iron golem

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:14:19 AM »

Yeah, I guess not being able to target enemy mages is all that's really needed; I'd settle for that.  I'm not ready to settle on no errata yet though :P.

An equipment could definitely make a lot of sense too.  It would be a lot like playing a eagleclaw boots against a jetstream wizard tower I imagine.  It could be a war belt. The thing is, I don't want to spend spellbook points to directly counter what I think is possibly an imbalanced part of a card...

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
You know...I think attack spells are too powerful. They should have errata to make the mages have a tea party instead.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
You know...I think attack spells are too powerful. They should have errata to make the mages have a tea party instead.

And the best part is you can go make your own thread about it.

This is a real issue guys, back on topic.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
Guess you missed the satire in that post. Believe it or not there is a group a players out there that totally disagree with the premise that [mwcard=MW1I28]Teleport[/mwcard] needs to be changed about much as Attacks spells.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
Guess you missed the satire in that post. Believe it or not there is a group a players out there that totally disagree with the premise that [mwcard=MW1I28]Teleport[/mwcard] needs to be changed about much as Attacks spells.

There's a difference between missing and not appreciating.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, I just don't care for baseless sarcasm in my threads.  I mean, at least follow it up with some on topic thoughts.

I don't even think teleport is overpowered (though it could be close), I just think it has a negative function on the game as a whole.  It promotes degenerate play, IMO, and the game would be more fun with a "non enemy mage" restriction.  With FiF, there's more ways to handle being teleported, but I don't think it should have the vice grip on spell books it has.  Maybe it won't once FiF hits, but as others have agreed, people just don't like the offensive use of it.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. I am more in the Gravikor of Teleport camp or a Teleport Beacon Enchantment camp. My thoughts are that by decreasing the reliability of the Teleport spell you can bend its efficacy without an errata. If your whole game plan evolves around Teleport and I can bend it my way, that sounds like fun.

My favorite right now is to drop Gravikor in NC and then Push the Lord of Fire into a corner and throw up a pair of wall of earths around him. I can imagine the same scenario with Teleport.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
You're worried about promoting degenerate play in a game where the goal is to kill the opposing mage? I'm sorry. I just don't get that. I understand putting errata on a card if there's a major issue with the balance it cause. Teleport is so far from causing issues with balance though, I can't believe this is a thought. If you're so worried about teleports being a factor on your mage, add more nullifys or add your own teleports. I just think people want changes based on their own experiences whether or not they make sense to the game as a whole.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
You're worried about promoting degenerate play in a game where the goal is to kill the opposing mage? I'm sorry. I just don't get that. I understand putting errata on a card if there's a major issue with the balance it cause. Teleport is so far from causing issues with balance though, I can't believe this is a thought. If you're so worried about teleports being a factor on your mage, add more nullifys or add your own teleports. I just think people want changes based on their own experiences whether or not they make sense to the game as a whole.

By that logic they should never do any errata.  I don't mean degenerate in the sense of being a jerk to the other mage.  Go ahead, kill them in the best way possible; but I think teleport opens up situations where the best play is itself degenerate, especially against new/mid level players, and has an overall negative impact on the game that doesn't need to be there.

The whole reason changes are made is because "people want changes based on their own experiences" and many people have those same experiences and opinions.

I'm not personally worried, I usually only ever run 1 nullify.  I'm worried, as are others, that a certain aspect of teleport (ie teleporting enemy mages) has a negative impact on the actual play of the game and it doesn't need to be that way.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
Can you come up with some situations where its bad for the game play?

I think its important to have 1 teleport in most books, but that's about it.
If you let your creatures stay in your corner then you are bound to be separated from them.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 02:48:13 AM »
Every time, when you build up a Zone of death, teleport is bad for the gameplay.
Let it be a necromancer with alot of zombies, let it be a Druid with vinesnappers and thornlashers, let it be a priestress with a bunch of knights. If your mage is teleported into this hellhole, there is often no escape possible (jinx, another teleport, tanglevine etc.). Your mage just dies there. And btw you cannot save your mage with a nullify, if your opponent uses his qc and action at the same time (seeking dispel, teleport).

I personally agree that there should be something that prevents this situation or makes it happen not that often. Especially in 2on2 games, teleport as it is now is the spell, that takes some fun out of the game.
"You shall not teleport enemy mages" could be the answer. Something else could be "if you teleport the enemy mage, pay double mana cost"
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!