April 27, 2024, 08:35:55 PM

Author Topic: Teleport Errata (Friendly** Creature and Zone)  (Read 12285 times)

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport Errata (Friendly** Creature and Zone)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
Im with Lord on this topic. An errata isn't necessary for this card. Whenever we play, we just play with the house rule that you can't teleport the enemy mage. Sure, it basically removes any sort of Zone of Death strategy, but there are other strategy's beside that. We both still have fun and teleport is still very useful. Even though teleport can't target the enemy mage, force push spells are still something that you need to be wary of.

I think, however, there should at least be a spell (equipment, conjuration, enchantment) that could counter it in some way i.e. the amulet Lord mentioned.

I also like Schwenkgotts idea about double mana possibly.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

Dmon3k

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 12:34:00 AM »
Every time, when you build up a Zone of death, teleport is bad for the gameplay.
Let it be a necromancer with alot of zombies, let it be a Druid with vinesnappers and thornlashers, let it be a priestress with a bunch of knights. If your mage is teleported into this hellhole, there is often no escape possible (jinx, another teleport, tanglevine etc.). Your mage just dies there. And btw you cannot save your mage with a nullify, if your opponent uses his qc and action at the same time (seeking dispel, teleport).

I personally agree that there should be something that prevents this situation or makes it happen not that often. Especially in 2on2 games, teleport as it is now is the spell, that takes some fun out of the game.
"You shall not teleport enemy mages" could be the answer. Something else could be "if you teleport the enemy mage, pay double mana cost"

If someone builds up a zone of death, and you leave yourself in position to be teleported into it then you have no one to blame but yourself.  The opposing mage still has to be within two zones of you to make it work, and if you didn't have the foresight to see it coming then that is poor planning on your part whether they do a seeking dispel/teleport combo as you mentioned or not. 

In my opinion the card is fine as it is, and doesn't require house rules or errata.

lettucemode

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
I have seen the Telepit example brought up in every discussion about whether Teleport is bad for the game or not...are  there any other examples? I am not saying that it is/isn't a valid complaint, it would just be interesting if it was the only situation in which Teleport was perceived as broken.

Where's DeckBuilder when you need him...

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »

He's gone and I don't think he's coming back... He left with a final post written full of things I won't repeat. Needless to say it was taken down quite quickly. I happened to be on when it was posted but he basically said he was leaving and not coming back, among many more negative things that obviously aren't allowed. & he hasn't been on since. It's too bad he left on such a bad note.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
I think that Telepit is just the extreme example of the general issue.
It is very difficult atm to effectively take a defensive stance in the game.
Basically, there are 2 major defensive themes:
1. Armor : which is very efficiently countered by Acid Ball
2. Guards and staying in a zone : There are other ways to play around guards but the problem with teleport is that it catapults you deeply into enemy territory. Other aggressions like incapacitating guards or Force Pushing, etc allow the mage to either walk back into the "safe" zone with his next action or reactivate the guard(ed) status somehow. Teleport doesn't allow that.
The effect/impact of a teleport  is simply far more manipulative than other effects/mechanics in Mage Wars.
Telepit is just the extreme example of 1xTeleport into GameOver but you can have 4 Teleports in a book and usually 2 successful ones are enough to decide a game - even in a non-pit book.

I have seen the Telepit example brought up in every discussion about whether Teleport is bad for the game or not...are  there any other examples? I am not saying that it is/isn't a valid complaint, it would just be interesting if it was the only situation in which Teleport was perceived as broken.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:18:34 PM by gw »
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

lettucemode

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »
He's gone and I don't think he's coming back...

Ah that sucks, I missed that post. I always enjoyed reading his stuff.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
Me too. Why did he leave?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
Me too. Why did he leave?

Something about balance issues. It was either Teleport being overpowered or the Wizard being overpowered. Don't remember which.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
Am I the only one who wishes teleport didn't exist? I hate teleport. Whenever I use teleport or another player uses teleport it always feels cheap. I especially hate the whole "you-can-teleport-out-of-conjuration-traps" BS. In my opinion teleport should be nerfed or at least made more expensive (both mana-wise and spellpoint-wise). I was about to suggest that teleport should be restricted to arcane mages only but I think a lot of people would be afraid that this would make the wizard even more dominant than he already his.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:31:09 PM by MrSaucy »
"See you space cowboy..."

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »
We are aware of peoples concerns and have been watching the meta closely.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage