April 25, 2024, 05:21:21 AM

Author Topic: Nullify VS. X Mana Cost spells and Encantments  (Read 8073 times)

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Nullify VS. X Mana Cost spells and Encantments
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
Hey guys,

If an enemy casts nullify on me and then I cast teleport on myself would I have to specify where I was planning to teleport to before they reveal nullify? I'm asking in regards to what I would have to pay (waste) on my teleport spell even though it was nullified.

The same question pops up for enchantments. If an enemy casts nullify on themselves and I cast some type of curse enchantment and decide to immediately reveal do I have to pay the full cost or just 2?

On a similar note, let's say I have a face-down enchantment on me and then the enemy casts nullify on me at some other point during the game. If I reveal my face-down enchantment would nullify take effect?

Thanks in advance!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify VS. X Mana Cost spells and Encantments
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »
You must specify x before Nullify is revealed. You specify x, state what your targets are, and pay any costs associated with casting a spell in step 1, cast spell. Nullify would be revealed in step 2, counterspell.

In the case of an enchantment, you only have to pay 2. You didn't resolve the enchantment, so you cannot reveal it anyway.

Nullify only works against incantation and enchantment spells cast on you, not ones that are already in play. There is no counterspell step to revealing an enchantment, and thus, Nullify cannot trigger.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »
Thanks man,

I'm really surprised about the only 2 casting cost for revealed enchantments. The other ones made sense to me but this one is a bit trickier. I guess if it wasn't the case people would always place face-down first to fish for nullify to begin with, though!

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
#1, Yep, Nullify happens in step 2 of casting a spell, after choices are made and costs are paid in step 1. There's nothing more satisfying than nullifying a 15 mana teleport.

#2, Only 2. Again, Nullify happens in step 2 of spellcasting, and revealing the enchantment (and paying the reveal cost) would happen after step 3, so you never get there.

#3, Nope. Far to late at that point. Nullify triggers when the face down enchantment is cast. Revealing the enchantment once it's in play doesn't set off the Nullify.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:34:11 PM »
Arg, ninja'd!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
Thanks man,

I'm really surprised about the only 2 casting cost for revealed enchantments. The other ones made sense to me but this one is a bit trickier. I guess if it wasn't the case people would always place face-down first to fish for nullify to begin with, though!

It is because you never cast an enchantment revealed. For convenience people just pay full mana and put it face up rigt away, but playing by the book you would first cast it facedown then right after the Step 3, you reveal it.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »
#1, Yep, Nullify happens in step 2 of casting a spell, after choices are made and costs are paid in step 1. There's nothing more satisfying than nullifying a 15 mana teleport.

Some one it cheating, or can't multiply/add, if it costs 15, the max is 12. because the target creature cannot be 5 zones away from the target zone as that would have to place the mage out of range of one of the targets.

Hedge

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »
Oops! Yep, 12! 2 zones to the left + center zone with mage + 2 zones to the right. Sounded like 5 zones in my head, but you're right: 4 zones, 12 mana. Thanks!

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
I'm confused as to why 15 mana isnt a valid cost for a teleport....

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
If your mage is in near center he can teleport a creature from your starting corner to the farthest  non-corner board edge, which looked to me like 5 total zones (which it is) but is actually only 4 zones teleported.

I had to make a little doodle to be sure I was doing it right this time. :)

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
it is possible to have a 15 mana teleport from one corner to the other diagonal corner though, correct?

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
it is possible to have a 15 mana teleport from one corner to the other diagonal corner though, correct?

Nope. The maximum distance between the creature and the target Teleport zone is 4 zones. 4*3=12

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »
Teleport targets a creature and a zone, and its range is 0-2. Where would you stand that both diagonal corners would be within the max range?

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

Teleport requires you target the creature you want to move AND to target the zone you want it to go to (note that its targeting bar reads "creature and zone")

So, the zone you are moving the creature to is also limited by Teleport's 0-2 range limit.  So the maximum distance you can move would be a target creature 2 zones away being moved to a target zone 2 zones in the opposite direction.

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
Interesting indeed. I always thought casting on the creature had the 0-2 restriction. I don't believe i've ever had a game that was 15+ mana but i thought it would work if the situation arose.

Thanks for the insight!