June 16, 2024, 05:58:01 PM

Author Topic: Druid (Vine Tree build) - spell book clinic  (Read 19952 times)

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Druid (Vine Tree build) - spell book clinic
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
Ok, it's late over here and I really shouldn't be posting.

But I thought I'd share a half-formed Druid spell book and ask for tips from those who have actually played her.
Because this is sadly all theory craft as finding copies of DvN here in the UK seems to be difficult.

Druid (Vine Tree build)

4 Raptor Vine (12)
4 Thornlasher (8 )
4 Vine Snapper (8 )
1 Kralathor (4)

2 Harmonize (4)
4 Bear Strength (4)
4 Rhino Hide (4)
1 Barkskin (2)
1 Decoy (1)

1 Vine Tree (2)
1 Etherian Lifetree (2)
1 Suppression Orb (4)
2 Mana Flower (2)
4 Bloodspine Wall (4)
4 Tanglevine (4)
4 Corrosive Orchid (8 )
4 Nightshade Lotus (12)

1 Leaf Ring (1)
1 Enchanter's Ring (1)
1 Sunfire Amulet (3)
1 Dragonscale Hauberk (3)
1 Elemental Cloak (2)
1 Healing Wand (2)
1 Mage Wand (4)

4 Rouse the Beast (4)
4 Dispel (8 )
1 Teleport (4)
1 Renewing Rain (3)

It's the obvious "vine range remote control" build with a Teleport Wand, keeping enemy beyond Dissolve range.
Rouse the Beast as Spawnpoint deployment is so telegraphed, unarmoured and you want to ambush that turn.
Orchid is key against control which relies on Mage Wands, as well as any Lash of Hellfire and Fireball Wands.
Lotus is key against prevalent Few Big including elite flyers like Lord of Fire (or a Flame Hellion reaper).
The Flowers also serve as extra free attacks which help concentrate damage in your Tangled Vine Pits.
Against Warlock or Fire Wizard, you may bind Rain instead, more suited for remote fire fighting/mass healing.

Everything else seems quite obvious. This worries me that the Druid is like the Forcemaster. Her plant spells and abilities are so niche that there is currently only variants of one obvious way to build her. I hope not.

Anyway, this is me humbly (!) asking for advice and constructive criticism from those more experienced than me in playing the Druid.

Everyone has to start somewhere and this is my first untested draft. Please advise where I've gone wrong.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Druid (Vine Tree build) - spell book clinic
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
I'm not big on Vine Snappers myself. It looks like your plan is to use Teleport wand to keep your opponent in that zone, but if you ever lose your wand your Vine Snappers will be useless. I'm not using any in my current book. I do think it's important for the Druid to take at least one non-plant creature, just so everything she casts won't be vulnerable to flame damage. I'm using Galador, who additionally has that nice stun/daze attack.

I would definitely include a few dissolves, even with Corrosive Orchids. Using the Orchids to destroy equipment can get expensive fast, and you won't always have the mana to afford it. I would take out a couple Orchids and replace them with Dissolves.

A second armour would probably be good as well, even if it is just Bearskin.

Perhaps think about making room for an Acid Ball or two (or four) as well; it can help soften up a big target like Adramelech or the enemy mage for your vines. Power Strike isn't that bad either; a couple times it's been the difference between getting a Growth Marker on Kralathor and the enemy creature surviving. Also, try for another teleport?

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
Oh, 4 Nightshade Lotus seems like a bit much to me, especially with the number of builds that run only non-living creatures (Necromancers and Iron Golem/Ooze Wizards in particular). I dropped down to two in my book.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »
Good points, Aylin.

I was going for the "Druid uses vine markers to remotely battle" concept, Thornlashers dragging enemies into Vine Pits, Flowers for extra concentrated firepower, Teleport Wand augmenting concept, the sedentary plants keeping the Druid safe in her forest. But it just seems too slow.

Evolution following feedback...

-4 Snapper (-8)
+1 Galador (5) vs. incorporeal, flyers, heavy armoured
+1 Tarok (3) vs. flyer weakness

-2 Lotus (-6)
-2 Orchid (-4)
+1 Elemental Wand (4)
+1 Force Hammer (4) vs. conjurations
+1 Acid Ball (1) vs. armour
+1 Surging Wave (1) vs. burn, guards

-1 Suppression Orb (-4)
+2 Mana Flower (2) for 6 zone exclusives
+1 Regrowth (1) for Galador or Tarok
+1 Falcon Precison (1) for utility

-1 Renewing Rain (-3)
+2 Dissolve (2)
+1 Hawkeye (1) for Wand or Galador

The build therefore stands at...

Druid (Vine Tree build)

4 Raptor Vine (12)
4 Thornlasher (8 )
1 Kralathor (4)
1 Galador (5)
1 Tarok (3)

2 Harmonize (4)
4 Bear Strength (4)
4 Rhino Hide (4)
1 Regrowth (1)
1 Falcon Precision (1)
1 Hawkeye (1)
1 Decoy (1)
1 Barkskin (2)

1 Vine Tree (2)
1 Etherian Lifetree (2)
4 Mana Flower (4)
4 Bloodspine Wall (4)
4 Tanglevine (4)
2 Corrosive Orchid (4)
2 Nightshade Lotus (6)

1 Leaf Ring (1)
1 Enchanter's Ring (1)
1 Sunfire Amulet (3)
1 Elemental Cloak (2)
1 Healing Wand (2)
1 Mage Wand (4)
1 Elemental Wand (4)

4 Rouse the Beast (4)
4 Dispel (8 )
2 Dissolve (2)
1 Teleport (4)

1 Force Hammer (4)
1 Surging Wave (1)
1 Acid Ball (1)

The problem is I can't help but feel I can build a better Nature mage with Straywood.
I guess you have to experience her in game play to appreciate her strengths; I can't wait.

Any other feedback?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
I would keep 1 or two Vine Snapper. They make formidable guards for your important conjuration (they only cost 7 mana but hit like 13 mana creatures).

Also, use an Idol of Pestilence against living creature. It doesnt hit your conjuration and all plants has Regenerate to heal the damage.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
I'm not big on Vine Snappers myself. It looks like your plan is to use Teleport wand to keep your opponent in that zone, but if you ever lose your wand your Vine Snappers will be useless. I'm not using any in my current book. I do think it's important for the Druid to take at least one non-plant creature, just so everything she casts won't be vulnerable to flame damage. I'm using Galador, who additionally has that nice stun/daze attack.

Good points, Aylin.

I was going for the "Druid uses vine markers to remotely battle" concept, Thornlashers dragging enemies into Vine Pits, Flowers for extra concentrated firepower, Teleport Wand augmenting concept, the sedentary plants keeping the Druid safe in her forest. But it just seems too slow.

Evolution following feedback...

-4 Snapper (-8)

Whoa; don't lose the vine snappers. They are the Druid's most efficient attacking creatures (7 mana for an attack of 5 with piercing! 6 mana with leaf ring!). The druid absolutely does not need teleport wand to make them effective; just pair the vine snappers with thornlashers and/or restrain enemies after they are finally dragged (kicking and screaming, no doubt) into their zone. Vine snappers also make good guards for your valuable trees. I would cut down on Raptor Vines instead; it is unlikely that you will be casting 4. Also, why no stranglevines? The Druid's ability to weaponize conjurations is (in my view) one of her greatest strengths. Suppression Orb is also a good thing to include, since your opponent will almost certainly be moving more than you will.

Edit: what Wildhorn said, but with even more vine snappers. 4 is a good number.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
Whoa; don't lose the vine snappers. They are the Druid's most efficient attacking creatures (7 mana for an attack of 5 with piercing! 6 mana with leaf ring!). The druid absolutely does not need teleport wand to make them effective; just pair the vine snappers with thornlashers and/or restrain enemies after they are finally dragged (kicking and screaming, no doubt) into their zone. Vine snappers also make good guards for your valuable trees. I would cut down on Raptor Vines instead; it is unlikely that you will be casting 4. Also, why no stranglevines? The Druid's ability to weaponize conjurations is (in my view) one of her greatest strengths. Suppression Orb is also a good thing to include, since your opponent will almost certainly be moving more than you will.

Edit: what Wildhorn said, but with even more vine snappers. 4 is a good number.

I tried using Thornlashers to pull enemies into the same zone as Vine Snappers, but I wasn't impressed with it. 33% chance to fail outright, plus it won't work on anything unmovable (Iron Golem, mages with Eagleclaw Boots in particular), and if the Thornlasher dies you also lose the effectiveness of your Vine Snapper aside from Teleporting.

The Raptor Vine only costs 2 more mana, but that gives the ability to move (for 1 mana but that does give more tactical options) and Vampiric at the cost of Piercing +1 and Devour (neither of which I care about that much). I just find them superior and I've regretted the times I've summoned a Vine Snapper.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
The problem is I can't help but feel I can build a better Nature mage with Straywood.
I guess you have to experience her in game play to appreciate her strengths; I can't wait.

Any other feedback?

To me the main attraction of the Druid is the Vine Tree, which is in my opinion one of two spawnpoints currently in the game worth using (the other being Battleforge). She can have action advantage on turn 2 without needing to use a battleforge strategy, which is the main attraction for me.

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »
Druid is my favorate and she has never die in any of my games. She is a beast.  I have tried several different builds all with success. Obvious some better than others. Druid is not limited to one style of play.  My main tree is vine tree but have used ito with samara and life tree. Once i used all three trees. Here some idea i have used. Sniper druid deck. Use vine markers to hinder. Gravikor to ground fliers. Grimson on a tower with hawkeye.  Samara pod deck. Use with vine tree and meditaion amulet.  With two spawn points use your full action to meditate for more mana but this is a long slow build so use vine markers tanglevine and stranglevine to occupy your opponet.  Battle druid deck is when i arm her with a scimitar bear strength barkskin and several other nature enchantments. With 4 or more armor  cobra reflex and effectively regeneration 4 and a sunfire amulet she is virtually impossiblie to kill.  I feel her weakness is not doing enough dmg so All my druid decks have several tangle and strangle vines wall of thorns corosive orchids and burst of thorns. Now im working on a new  druid deck using fellella. Dont limit the possibilities.  My friend in our last game played a priest. One round he summone a powerful angel. The next round he shock us by summoning adremeleck. Angel and devil in the same book.  Experiment is  the key and its fun.
Jedi vs that orc guy from L of the R, wow what a mix,... i wonder if AW would consider Dhalsim a mage.

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:14:25 AM »
Some questions/observations:

1) How often do you use all of your copies of Rhino Hide or Bear Strength?

2) Given how static your game is, Fortified Position and/or Mohktari seem like good area buffs?

3) Where do you find enough space for 4 mana flowers and a Vine Tree?
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
Just noticed this Alex.
This was an old thread I started before I actually got DvN (late here in the UK).
It embarrasses me to read it now that I've played her.
Teaches me a lesson not to put half-formed ideas up for public humiliation!

The build has evolved once I realised just how multi-purpose Acid Ball was
Also that Wand Control may work with a Wizard but not with any other Mage
Wands are too much upfront mana and action cost in builds without a Forge
So they had to go. Also I discovered how amazingly good Vinewhip Staff was.

To answer your question, in my very limited experience:

1. I had no problems playing all 4 Bear Strengths on my Raptor Vines

1. Rhino Hides were to defend Plants vs. Swarms that should wolf pack a target.
It synergies with Enchanter's Ring, a nice defensive surprise, stacks with Barkskin

2. I do agree that Fortified Position is useful in any sedentary build
But 1 Dispel and you've just lost 6 spell points and all your armour
Also it was not a Plant Pit build, more aggressive hence the Roused Raptors
I could copy Golem Pit's Transfusion trick but my local meta would table flip
The stationary Bastion approach may even probably use a Meditation Amulet
I can't believe I'm considering that piece of junk but respected posters use it
It was made for the Druid with her Vine Tree able to remote vine cast as well

2. Mokhtari is for animals, I add Regrowth to Tarok or Galador, Barkskin on self
Healing Wand is simply my morbid fear of conditions on Druid, animals and plants

3. Maybe the 4 Mana Flowers is too much but 6 zone exclusives is not too greedy
They only cost 4 with Ring (Tree summons creatures), usually payback before killed
It was a Druid quick action (moving, not meditating) but it attracts enemy attention
I don't expect them to stick around so some will replace, I like them with the Druid

Anyway, even before I played my first game with her, I think I changed the build to:

DRUID (Vine Tree build)

CREATURES (32)
4 Raptor Vine (12)
4 Thornlasher [8]
1 Kralathor (4)
1 Galador (5)
1 Tarok (3)

ENCHANTMENTS (16)
2 Harmonize (4)
4 Bear Strength (4)
4 Rhino Hide (4)
1 Regrowth (1)
1 Hawkeye (1)
1 Barkskin (2)

CONJURATIONS (20)
1 Vine Tree (2)
1 Etherian Lifetree (2)
4 Mana Flower (4)
4 Bloodspine Wall (4)
4 Tanglevine (4)
2 Corrosive Orchid (4)

EQUIPMENT (14)
1 Leaf Ring (1)
1 Enchanter's Ring (1)
1 Sunfire Amulet (3)
1 Elemental Cloak (2)
1 Vinewhip Staff (2)
1 Healing Wand (2)

4 INCANTATIONS (30)
4 Rouse the Beast (4)
4 Dispel [8]
2 Dissolve (2)
4 Teleport (16)

ATTACKS [8]
4 Surging Wave (4)
4 Acid Ball (4)

Yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with 4 (it's a magic number in another game)
It's partly because they neatly fit on 1 page in a spell book, appeals to my OCD! :)

I really do not know how to play the Druid - I currently play very few normal games of MW
Also my natural inclination leans more towards the Necromancer, I just love his spellbook

As mobile Druid, I rely on Acid Ball then 2 Bear Raptor Vines to neutralise Deathlock/Tower
But maybe I'll need to go back to Elemental Wand + Force Hammer of the prior build above

While I do consider myself pretty good with a Wizard, I'm a complete newbie with the Druid
So if anybody has any pointers on what works well with the Druid, please feel free to share
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:54:01 AM by DeckBuilder »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
The thing about Meditation Amulet is that it repays your invested mana faster than any other channeling boost in the game. It has a steep cost, but it has unique power.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:49:54 AM »
Yes - the druid should absolutely have a meditation amulet. I also recommend at least 3 corrosive orchids, if not 4 - not for the dissolve, but simply for their ability to combo with most of the rest of your cards and their conjuration-timed attack.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »
Yes - the druid should absolutely have a meditation amulet.

I absolutely disagree with you here. One of the best things about the Druid is that her spawnpoint has an amazing range and can cast a wide variety of spells, giving her an action advantage against opponents. Giving up that action advantage for ~2 mana per action seems like a huge waste. Also in certain matchups she needs her full action to cast non-plant creatures.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
I totally agree with Aylin here. An action is too precious.

Yes - the druid should absolutely have a meditation amulet.

I absolutely disagree with you here. One of the best things about the Druid is that her spawnpoint has an amazing range and can cast a wide variety of spells, giving her an action advantage against opponents. Giving up that action advantage for ~2 mana per action seems like a huge waste. Also in certain matchups she needs her full action to cast non-plant creatures.
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)