April 18, 2024, 09:37:42 PM

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Druid!  (Read 38791 times)

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about the Druid!
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
Hello from Germany =) ,

I am new to Mage Wars and (obviously) to the forum but I really like that game and I got really hooked on it.
I also fell in love with the Druid so I am working a bit on her. There is little opportunity to playtest stuff - we do have our group playing it atm, but obviously we can't meet every day - and we are noobs :) . Anyway, I have a deck which I would like to have some feedback on. I love Fellella and I love the start - I am just totally unsure how to proceed etc.
Below I have given you an optimal 3 turn start (which already might be a bit too optimistic but it shows the general idea) but I feel it might work. What I am unsure about is : a) I probably do not have enough creatures (I do plan to let my Druid fight though) and b) I am sure there are cards in it that don't make sense or are underrepresented. Ok, feel free to comment on it.

Druid

---  Attack  ---
1 Force Hammer
3 Acid Ball

---  Conjuration  ---
1 Vine Tree
1 Battle Forge
1 Etherian Lifetree
2 Seedling Pod
2 Corrosive Orchid
1 Mana Flower
2 Nightshade Lotus
3 Tanglevine

---  Creature  ---
1 Galador, Protector of Straywood
2 Vine Snapper
1 Thornlasher
1 Fellella, Pixie Familiar
1 Tataree
1 Raptor Vine

---  Enchantment  ---
2 Harmonize
2 Rhino Hide
1 Cobra Reflexes
1 Jinx
1 Block
1 Nullify
1 Teleport Trap
1 Healing Charm
2 Bear Strength
1 Mongoose Agility
1 Ghoul Rot
1 Vampirism
2 Decoy
1 Falcon Precision
1 Barkskin

---  Equipment  ---
1 Eagleclaw Boots
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Mage Staff
1 Mage Wand
1 Druid's Leaf Ring
1 Mohktari's Branch
1 Veterans Belt
1 Meditation Amulet
1 Enchanter's Ring
1 Dragonscale Hauberk

---  Incantation  ---
1 Dispel
1 Seeking Dispel
1 Dissolve
2 Rouse the Beast
1 Shift Enchantment
1 Teleport
3 Burst of Thorns

OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 11:41:26 PM »
First, Seedling Pods while being terrible in general, are ATROCIOUS when used to summon a Mana Flower.

With the Leaf Ring, casting a Mana Flower pays for itself four turns later.
Casting a Seedling Pod with the Leaf Ring, which then casts a Mana Flower pays for itself seven turns later.

It doesn't save you any mana at all, it just delays the payoff for three turns.

Second, you build up way too much in your opening. The fact that you're having to use Decoy to transfer mana from your familiar to your mage is a bad sign. Also how do you expect to be able to pay for revealing enchantments, deploying equipment, AND deploying vines in addition to at least your Quickcast? Going into turn 4 you have 10 mana to work with (13 including mana on spawnpoints). You're in a really bad spotif your opponent plans on coming for you in the early game, which is a pretty common strategy due to how effective it is.

As a side note to that, if you're having to use Meditation Amulet just to make the Battleforge viable, then it's time to just save yourself 8 build points by dropping both. Without the Amulet you have 9 pieces of equipment, 3 of them are rings (though tbh I've found the Branch lackluster compared to Leaf and Enchanter's, Healing Wand works almost as well and the second hand slot isn't as valuable for the Druid as the ring slot is), one is a melee weapon (why?), and pretty much everything else is situational defensive items (except for the Mage Wand). If most of your equipment is situational then you don't really need a battleforge.

Third, you don't have enough Dissolves or Dispels. There is absolutely no excuse to take less than 4 Dissolves as a Druid. I'd switch out the Seeking Dispel for another Dispel and find some way of fitting in at least one more.

Fourth, Vine Snappers are terrible. The attack is great, but not being able to move is horrendous. With only one Thornlasher and one Teleport, you don't have the board control required to make them work. All your opponent would have to do is move one zone to the side. Raptor Vines are much better. A little more expensive, and the attack isn't as damaging against most targets (lacking the +1 pierce). On the other hand, the ability to move for 1 mana and Vampiric give it better positioning and staying power.

Fifth, Tataree is not worth it. I've tried many times to run the butterfly, but the fact that only has a maximum of 9 life (with Etherian Lifetree and Bull Endurance) means it's too easy to kill with any unavoidable attack (especially zone attacks), or any sort of AoE dot (like Idol of Pestilence which your Necromancer opponent will probably use).

Sixth, consider Tarok. You don't have any flying creatures at the moment and the bird work well against an early Lord of Fire. Also, no Kralathor? It's great against swarms, especially undead ones.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »
Thanks for the input. Have also commented on some of your points and will definetely do some adjustments - and maybe play a game today if I meet someone online.

First, Seedling Pods while being terrible in general, are ATROCIOUS when used to summon a Mana Flower.
With the Leaf Ring, casting a Mana Flower pays for itself four turns later.
Casting a Seedling Pod with the Leaf Ring, which then casts a Mana Flower pays for itself seven turns later.
It doesn't save you any mana at all, it just delays the payoff for three turns.
True, I think I have to agree  8) .

Second, you build up way too much in your opening. The fact that you're having to use Decoy to transfer mana from your familiar to your mage is a bad sign.
I like that tbh. It costs a card but it makes Fellella's 2 mana available for any spell. It's not something that is very efficient but I don't plan to do it every turn.

Also how do you expect to be able to pay for revealing enchantments, deploying equipment, AND deploying vines in addition to at least your Quickcast? Going into turn 4 you have 10 mana to work with (13 including mana on spawnpoints). You're in a really bad spotif your opponent plans on coming for you in the early game, which is a pretty common strategy due to how effective it is.
As a side note to that, if you're having to use Meditation Amulet just to make the Battleforge viable, then it's time to just save yourself 8 build points by dropping both.
Without the Amulet you have 9 pieces of equipment, 3 of them are rings (though tbh I've found the Branch lackluster compared to Leaf and Enchanter's, Healing Wand works almost as well and the second hand slot isn't as valuable for the Druid as the ring slot is), one is a melee weapon (why?), and pretty much everything else is situational defensive items (except for the Mage Wand). If most of your equipment is situational then you don't really need a battleforge.
I see. I was afraid you would say so. When building I really wanted to have the Forge in to see how it is running. I did a solo game yesterday and also recognized that actually I don't really need it.
Having the Healing Wand as an alternative to the Branch didn't occur to me :)
I think the Mage Staff is a nice weapon ? It has Reach and Ethereal.

Third, you don't have enough Dissolves or Dispels. There is absolutely no excuse to take less than 4 Dissolves as a Druid. I'd switch out the Seeking Dispel for another Dispel and find some way of fitting in at least one more.
Will be done.

Fourth, Vine Snappers are terrible. The attack is great, but not being able to move is horrendous. With only one Thornlasher and one Teleport, you don't have the board control required to make them work. All your opponent would have to do is move one zone to the side. Raptor Vines are much better. A little more expensive, and the attack isn't as damaging against most targets (lacking the +1 pierce). On the other hand, the ability to move for 1 mana and Vampiric give it better positioning and staying power.
Ok, I agree. I thought Vine Snappers were nice to maybe be cast via vines into the same zone as an opponent's spawning point ? Just to annoy him a bit. Also, it might be a good defensive creature ?

Fifth, Tataree is not worth it. I've tried many times to run the butterfly, but the fact that only has a maximum of 9 life (with Etherian Lifetree and Bull Endurance) means it's too easy to kill with any unavoidable attack (especially zone attacks), or any sort of AoE dot (like Idol of Pestilence which your Necromancer opponent will probably use).
He got wall bashed pretty quickly in our previous games, yes - but ... but ... cute little butterfly !

Sixth, consider Tarok. You don't have any flying creatures at the moment and the bird work well against an early Lord of Fire. Also, no Kralathor? It's great against swarms, especially undead ones.
Ok, I had both in. I believe they were the last 2 cards I threw out due to not having enough points. As I'll discard the Battleforge they will be in again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:10:40 AM by gw »
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)