April 16, 2024, 04:43:55 AM

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Druid!  (Read 38633 times)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about the Druid!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »
OP, I think one important creature you left out is Galador, Protector of Straywood. It fills the Ethereal hole she has, in addition to being effective against Iron Golems. It isn't a plant so she can't deploy it or use Mohktari's branch on it (though that's fine if you use Wand of Healing instead). Even so, I think it's worth using for the 25% Stun/25% Daze chance, especially since it's more effective against Golems than any plant currently.

Also the Novice War school spells are nice too, especially Power Strike (in the current meta I think it is better than Piercing Strike since it actually works against Resilient things).

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
baronzaltor - I love your idea of fortified position on a zone with lots of rooted plants. My only complaint is that it costs 6 spellpoints. That being said, it would be worth it saving multiple actions + mana from buffing each individually. Shift enchantment is a fantastic idea to go along with this as you had said. Great thoughts friend, I can see this as being very viable. I had taken some glances at the Sunfire Amulet and definitely consider using it in her book. I agree that having her shoulder more damage from the Tree is a great way to get around healing conjurations.

Deckbuilder - Thank you for your insightful post. I have actually implemented a lot of what you suggested (mage wand for teleports, elemental wand for boulder + force hammer). I have found more use for the Etherian Lifetree and actually consider it more useful now after careful examination. The only time I wouldn't play it is against a swarmer. Earlier that day I actually read that no multiple of same conjuration in one zone so I forgot. I'm not the biggest fan of this rule, although admittedly it doesn't occur too often. I absolutely LOVE the idea of a Suppresion orb. I find that my goal is to move her plants as little as possible due to the mana costs so this is the ultimate synergistic card to punish the other mage while rarely affecting you. Perfect!

Aylinisawesome / the dude - I'm not the biggest fan of the meditation amulet as I feel losing actions is really huge in this game. That being said, I feel like the Druid is one of the only mages that can actually make the amulet viable. This is because her vine tree can essentially cast for her and not worry about range due to vines. I still think it's situational but I definitely can see running it if you plan to have her plants run the whole show and have her pump mana into them. I personally prefer to have her use her actions to support the machines in other ways (enchantments, incantations etc) but to each their own. Galador certainly fills the etheral gap and I appreciate that observation. However, being 5 spell points is a bit much. I also feel like hes kind of expensive for his cost. Plus you have to full cast him through your mage which breaks her synergy a bit. He is certainly an option since he does cost face value on his nature portion. I prefer running a elemental wand with force hammer but its nice to have a creature option if you expect some mean incorporeal creatures!

I found our during my last game that Corrosive Orchids attack is unavoidable. It dawned on me that it can make an attack on a mage through block, defense and nullify. Essentially, if it wants to spit some acid on that mage he's going to get it! As I mentioned in my post, deplying this when you have initation is strong since they only have a quick cast to react to it.

My last game was played against a necromancer. He started bringing out a the death ring, libro and graveyard (lots of high investments, I know). He started pushing shaggoth-zora and zombie crawlers to munch on. I was forced to come in heavy and sieged his graveyard with vine tree casted vine snappers and used corrosive orchid to dissolve that pesky death ring. I find that the druid is extremly good for a tactical use. Unfortunately, by the time I got through his graveyard he had vastly out-creatured me. However, my conjurations were safe in the back. We didn't play too much longer after that due to his aggravation. However, I feel like he could have brought that army down and really had his way with me. If I'm in a similar situation I wonder if it's good strategy to siege and remove his options rather than deal with the threat of the army. Any thoughts? I feel like this would apply to any creature-heavy enemy.

Loving this discussion guys, keep it up!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
My last game was played against a necromancer. He started bringing out a the death ring, libro and graveyard (lots of high investments, I know).

My General rule of thumb:
If your opponent builds up heavily i would say you got 3 options:

A)
Turtle yourself and build up ATLEAST as much as him.

B)
Rush him with 1 or 2 bigs.

C)
Build a small engine and go for him as soon as you peak with it. (This means you gotta land the hammer before his engine starts paying off)

What 3 options you actually have depend on your mage, your spellbook and the enemy spellbook.

There will be matchups where A) will be suicide because the enemy has a stronger turtle mage and/or spellbook than you.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
Aylinisawesome / the dude - I'm not the biggest fan of the meditation amulet as I feel losing actions is really huge in this game. That being said, I feel like the Druid is one of the only mages that can actually make the amulet viable. This is because her vine tree can essentially cast for her and not worry about range due to vines. I still think it's situational but I definitely can see running it if you plan to have her plants run the whole show and have her pump mana into them. I personally prefer to have her use her actions to support the machines in other ways (enchantments, incantations etc) but to each their own. Galador certainly fills the etheral gap and I appreciate that observation. However, being 5 spell points is a bit much. I also feel like hes kind of expensive for his cost. Plus you have to full cast him through your mage which breaks her synergy a bit. He is certainly an option since he does cost face value on his nature portion. I prefer running a elemental wand with force hammer but its nice to have a creature option if you expect some mean incorporeal creatures!

The main reason I suggest Galador is because of the stun/daze chance on the ranged attack. The fact that it is Ethereal as well is just icing on that cake. It's also important to consider that Galador does not have Flame +2, and is arguably better than any plant against a Warlock for that reason. To me, the 5 points for Galador is pretty cheap since it covers all those weak spots she would otherwise have.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
My last game was played against a necromancer. He started bringing out a the death ring, libro and graveyard (lots of high investments, I know).

My General rule of thumb:
If your opponent builds up heavily i would say you got 3 options:

A)
Turtle yourself and build up ATLEAST as much as him.

B)
Rush him with 1 or 2 bigs.

C)
Build a small engine and go for him as soon as you peak with it. (This means you gotta land the hammer before his engine starts paying off)

What 3 options you actually have depend on your mage, your spellbook and the enemy spellbook.

There will be matchups where A) will be suicide because the enemy has a stronger turtle mage and/or spellbook than you.

If you are playing against Necromancer, I think turtling is one of the worst things you could do. B will be a better option against a Necromancer who is spending a long time investing in spawnpoints. By playing Libro and Graveyard, the Necromancer is sacrificing an aggressive opening. The Druid can easily take advantage of this and gain the momentum with a strong, early attack, throwing the Necromancer off balance.
"See you space cowboy..."

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
If Galador is worth putting in a FM book then he certainly fits here. The main deal is he is mobile and can attack fliers, and he owns holy mages. The daze/stun is a bonus as always. Five points is a bargain, imo. Compare him to some wand and an attack for fliers that gets dissolved.

I also like Electrify here to deal with swarms. I've already played a game with 12+ creatures in the same zone.

Also, Tataree is great at pissing off guards.

The staff is very good, I think. I soft-locked a grow +5 Shaggoth indefinitely, and when he failed stuck rolls I locked down the next big guy too. The only way I can see to stop this is with Wizard's zap or a spell on the vine after deploy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:04:07 PM by somaddict »

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
Another thing to consider, what to do when Adramalech happens? Sleep is 12 mana and easily disrupted, and a tanglevine/stranglevine will be smashed quickly. Teleport gets you a turn. Banish gets you a turn. What does a Druid even do with these stalling tactics? Kralathor can hit him but with Bear Strength Adra is swinging 10 dice on him. Galador and the Spider can stall as well, and a few Acid Balls would help. This is all a lot of mana to cook up, and it's not very effective quickly enough. Meanwhile, the opponent is lashing and burning everything.

lettucemode

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
Banish gets you a turn.

Three turns. That should be enough time to either build up some defenses or put the hurt on the enemy.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
She can turn Tarok the Skyhunter loose on him.

5 Damage and 1 pierce against other fliers for half the mana cost of Adrelmech, and he has a Defense roll against melee attacks from fliers.  Could add on a Bear Strength and he will hammer Adrelmech at 7 dice per swing and still be less of a mana investment.  Acid Ball or Spitting Raptors can soften his armor from range as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:35:04 PM by baronzaltor »

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
She can turn Tarok the Skyhunter loose on him.

The classics never go out of style

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
True, but the Beastmaster does much better with Tarok. One animal is one less Plant the Druid so dearly loves....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:47:13 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »
True, but the Beastmaster does much better with Tarok. Once animal is one less Plant to Druid so dearly loves....

Getting only plants though leaves you too weak to fire damage. Better to diversify a bit.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Plus animals have better mobility than plants.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
So are you saying Druid with some Animal support is better than BM with some Plant support?

I am just tying to get an idea which way is better. I am playing my first Nec v. Dru on Wednesday. I know, it is a busy time of the year for me though....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
So are you saying Druid with some Animal support is better than BM with some Plant support?

I am just tying to get an idea which way is better. I am playing my first Nec v. Dru on Wednesday. I know, it is a busy time of the year for me though....

With the Druid, I think it's more a matter of needing to include some non-plants to handle certain threats, Tarok and Galador being the best candidates. Since they're legendary, they work almost as well for the Druid as they do for the Beastmasters (probably the biggest things they can do with them over the Druid is -1 summoning costs, Wounded Prey, and totems). The Beastmasters on the other hand don't particularly need to include plants to handle a variety of threats and can't use them nearly as effectively anyway (such as deploy anywhere + QC Rouse), though having one or two Raptor Vines might make sense depending on your build.